Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 8th October 2010, 12:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The popular vote seems to go for the A/T's !! Ya I understand that the M/T's would not be good for everyday use. What of BF Goodrich ?? How do they measure against the Yoko's ?? Or Continental's for that matter.

I have no experience with the BF Goodrich & Continental, but they are known to be competent.

Cheers
I have used BFG's on my Gypsy and drove for about 3.3k kms during The desert story 2010 and really love those tyres. Additionally the sidewall of the BG's is the strongest amongst the entire range of tyres that we get across these segments (I think that this is cause the sidewall in BFG's is 3 ply compared to the competition, which all is 2 ply). Sadly they are not available in 275/70/R16's

for other options, I think that Tanveer is really happy with the Contis on his safari, and if the tyres can last all the terrain that he goes too, they have to be good. I think that he's recently posted a 25k kms update on the tyres. Another expert you can talk to is sudev sir. If I am not mistaken his GV is running on Michellins.

Quote:
P.S. cool_dube, I think Harjeev is looking to replace tyres on the LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Harjeev - this is for your Safari, correct? If yes, which brands are you looking at?
Ricky I am sorry for going OT on your thread.

@Cool_dube; Ricky has already answered your question. I am planning to sell my safari, already there's an advert in the classified. The tyres I am planning is for the TLC
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 17:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

The Pajero has finally got new footwear. No M/T's, just plain jane Yokohama Geolanders A/T 265/70/R15's

The ride quality was instantly better, honestly I was surprised. The GOOD just got BETTER !!

Shall post pictures soon.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 17:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Default New Tyres for the Pajero

So here are the pictures, finally.

Yokohama Geolanders A/T 265/70/R15's

There was an instant difference in the ride quality. I guess the older 31x10.5 had uneven wear at places, though they still had more than 50% life left in them. But I am stickler for perfect tyres, hence the change. Braking improvement is very noticeable as well.

Overall =

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-new-tyres-038.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-new-tyres-039.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-new-tyres-040.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-new-tyres-041.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8-pajero-new-tyres-042.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th October 2010 at 17:15.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:51   #109
Senior - BHPian

Ran into a total loss Pajero with 30K on the odo. Right side front impact. So the engine is purrrrfect. As is the rear & LHS. I was thinking of taking that engine (if priced right) & swap it with my engine which is at 1,32,000 kms on the odo.

What say ?? I also thought of the rear bumper, rear door, door handles. Not that any of it needs replacement, just thinking aloud. Basically it makes for a good donor car.

Maybe get hold of a SWB 2 door someday & fit the stuff in it with body lift kit & 33" tyres

Don't know if I should sacrifice my engine which is Japanese with the HM Pajero engine (though it has only done 30K) That is the tempting part.

Need serious inputs from fellow Bhp-ians

Cheers
Old 19th October 2010, 21:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ran into a total loss Pajero with 30K on the odo. Right side front impact. So the engine is purrrrfect. As is the rear & LHS. I was thinking of taking that engine (if priced right) & swap it with my engine which is at 1,32,000 kms on the odo.
congrats on buy!!

about total loss one , how do you plan to legalize heart transplant?
although its a total loss it must be in the range of 5~8 lack (+-).
are you planning to invest that much?

if you have any connections for getting total loss vehicles please do share it.
rgds
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 05:03   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of taking that engine (if priced right) & swap it with my engine which is at 1,32,000 kms on the odo.
Unless your engine is showing some worrying symptoms the power block is good for many more Km's. So the need of having a donor vehicle is quite a dead investment. Now if you were running a workshop.......
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 10:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
congrats on buy!!

about total loss one , how do you plan to legalize heart transplant?
although its a total loss it must be in the range of 5~8 lack (+-).
are you planning to invest that much?

if you have any connections for getting total loss vehicles please do share it.
rgds
Nikhil

Heart transplant is just a thought that crossed my mind. My engine is perfect & has done 1.32 lac kms, so it should be good for another lac at least.

As for restoring the vehicle, I would not touch it. It is parked in the open since 2 years, the engine is removed & is kept under cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Unless your engine is showing some worrying symptoms the power block is good for many more Km's. So the need of having a donor vehicle is quite a dead investment. Now if you were running a workshop.......
My engine is NOT showing any signs off wearing off anytime soon. I was simply tempted to get a much younger engine with a lac less on the odo. As for running a workshop, well it has been a passion & a dream, but finances do not permit. I was at one point getting a dealership of a "respected brand" but that too fizzled out, as the ROI for the first few years was next to nothing.

So much for my running a workshop...

Cheers
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:06   #113
BHPian

Dear Ricky,

Congratulations!

I was going through this thread, as I just got myself a used Pajero... Want to get her looked into, same as you, and get her back to factory state. Can you advise me on where you got your jobs done? The showroom workshop is more than steep and I am not too happy with their work—a personal workshop should get her the personalized attention that she needs, and would assuage my mind as well. Thanks.

Quote:
Reached the workshop a bit late to hear the engine idle (music to my ears).

Am told the engine note is nicer than it was & that there is no smoke emitting from the tail pipe even on hard driving. Which is how it should be. So seems the pump and nozzles needed re-calliberation.

An engine oil leak was detected to a failed oil seal, ordered new one, as have been belts & hoses, gear box mount bushes were cracking, new ones coming.

I found 2 of the 3 fan belts were showing fatigue, according to the mechanic, they could go on, but I chose to have them replaced, hence ordered.

Brakes seem fine, do not even need a brake pad replacement.

The front & rear suspension has been completely re-done, including 4 new shockers !

So looking forward for it to be put together & "enjoy" the ride with the new suspension.

The Hellas have still to come in. There are some other minor issues that need to be sorted. But mechanically she should be in the PINK of health...

So far - so good !!

Cheers
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Dear Ricky,

Congratulations!

I was going through this thread, as I just got myself a used Pajero... Want to get her looked into, same as you, and get her back to factory state. Can you advise me on where you got your jobs done? The showroom workshop is more than steep and I am not too happy with their work—a personal workshop should get her the personalized attention that she needs, and would assuage my mind as well. Thanks.

Hi

you can get in touch with Phil at // Speed Sport . Automotive Engineering Solutions . New Delhi . India //
Old 4th December 2010, 12:22   #115
BHPian

Great. Thanks, Ricky—I am headed there now, and will keep you posted on how it goes.

Quote:
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 11:21   #116
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Great. Thanks, Ricky—I am headed there now, and will keep you posted on how it goes.

So how did it go Rajeev ? Did you finally get your Pajero looked at ?

Cheers
Old 10th December 2010, 21:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Gave my Pajero for regular service & some irritating sounds to be sorted. Oil changes / checks / top ups and the like & yes the cross was making some weird sounds, so replacement of that too.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2010, 21:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for the Pajero to come back. I have no news if the parts are ordered. I hope they have !!

Phil is currently too busy making his 2 door Zen look "less like a monster on wheels" so goes on an extensive paint job...seems his undivided attention is there

Phir bhi "customer is king" as they say or is it "they used to say" !!

Hope to have the Pajero back SOON all sorted & ready to rock & roll

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 16th December 2010 at 21:07.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

The cross has still to arrive :-( and then the fitting & sorting out all small niggles (which usually get left out) and the routine engine oil & filter change etc etc..

I don't see my New Year ringing in with the Pajero, sad but true !

Wish me luck !!

Cheers
Old 14th January 2011, 19:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

OK so here is a small update. The Pajero has been back for some time, enjoying every bit of it.

But today out of the Blue - I saw a Pajero, 2008, single owner, done 32K with service record, vehicle feels tight, drives brilliantly, feels almost new !! The next thing I know, the guy asks me if I am interested...

With my mouth watering at the prospect, I pretended to be disinterested, as I already use a brilliant Pajero, but the prospect of upgrading to a 10 year younger model was tempting, to say the least. .

Everything seemed right from the colour to the feel of the car to the battery, tyres, interiors. She seemed well looked after.

So I ended up - doing something which I did not expect to do....I BOUGHT the Pajero !! It feels nice & tight & new from all angles, exterior, interior, engine, suspension.

So I am now sitting with 2 near Identical cars !!! One of which now HAS to go !! So calling all Pajero lovers. Here is a chance to buy on of the better Pajeros in the market. The details are all over the thread.

Please PM me if interested.

Pictures of the new one will shortly surface on the thread

Cheers