Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 22nd September 2013, 14:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Is this SWB Pajero worth buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I believe this is the same car which was being peddled by a dealer from chennai. if so, stay away, as Khan sir has mentioned, its way too molested.

Actually finding a good SWB Paj has become a very hard task. There was a North KL reg one too which keeps popping up for sale. pretty well loaded(suspension adjust etc), but someone has painted the interiors in beige! Car seems decent at first sight, but is a mess underneath, and slower than a nano. Stay away from that one too.
Thanks for the heads up JayD. I am now looking at other available good SUV's to own. SWB Paj's are indeed rare getting one in its original well maintained is tough luck.

-Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 17:50   #32
BHPian

Default re: 1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?

Just noticed this thread. Good you didn't pick this Sajan. I too had opted to go and take a look at it some time back when I was contemplating a 4x4. It is with a guy named Vikram right now - correct? Had taken my friend who has a Pajero and he too advised me to drop the idea of buying this vehicle. Definitely not worth it!
vroom666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 01:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Just noticed this thread. Good you didn't pick this Sajan. I too had opted to go and take a look at it some time back when I was contemplating a 4x4. It is with a guy named Vikram right now - correct? Had taken my friend who has a Pajero and he too advised me to drop the idea of buying this vehicle. Definitely not worth it!
Hi vroom666,

Not sure about the guy. wanted to check in the forum even before I called him up and glad I did. Better safe than sorry later. So, you looked or looking at any good suv's of late? let me know as I am also looking for a good used suv to buy.

-Sajan
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:35   #34
BHPian

Smile Re: Is this SWB Pajero worth buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Thanks for the heads up JayD. I am now looking at other available good SUV's to own. SWB Paj's are indeed rare getting one in its original well maintained is tough luck.

-Sajan
I couldn't agree more. Took me ages to find one in decent nick and she has just finished a 4 month "near factory spec" restoration. Some pics attached!

Paint - still original even after 20+ years. Built to last indeed..
Attached Thumbnails
1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5155m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5158m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5154m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5157m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5151m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5153m.jpg  

1998 Pajero - Is it worth buying?-img_5156m.jpg  

autobahner is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahner View Post
Wow, looks as if it just rolled out of the factory line yesterday. How easy were the parts to source? Would love to take a TD of this beast some day
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:06   #36
BHPian

Hi! Sourcing most of the parts was not too bad. Had to primarily import loads of it from Japan and Dubai. City Motors at Opera House in Mumbai were able to help most of the time, price wise a wee bit more expensive then direct import. To put it in context, the local post man and me are now on first name terms
autobahner is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 18:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Took me ages to find one in decent nick and she has just finished a 4 month "near factory spec" restoration. Some pics attached!

That looks absolutely stunning, autobahner. Please do start a thread with detailed photos. I'm sure many of us would love to see the transition.

Have you installed any suspension lift? The rear looks a lil taller than the front.

Also, are the round lights a year or model specific detail? I've seen a few with these, mostly 3 doors.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 19:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took me ages to find one in decent nick and she has just finished a 4 month "near factory spec" restoration. Some pics attached!

That is a very neat looking vehicle! 20+ years and still a head turner!

A true mountain goat!

Congrats on the buy.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 00:09   #39
BHPian

That is one gorgeous vehicle.
Slurp.
samarth.bhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 15:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
That looks absolutely stunning, autobahner. Please do start a thread with detailed photos. I'm sure many of us would love to see the transition.

Have you installed any suspension lift? The rear looks a lil taller than the front.

Also, are the round lights a year or model specific detail? I've seen a few with these, mostly 3 doors.
Hey there JayD, thanks for your kind words sir. Much appreciated! do pardon the lag in reply, its that time of the year .

In reply, i will try to start a thread on this sometime soon, though pictorial point of view there is very little to distinguish the pre and post restore phase, as was fortunate enough to find her in a decent enough nick. The restore mainly hovered around getting all the little systems and gizmos to work as the day she left the plant in Japan.

The round lights for me are really an enigma. I know for sure that the first of the 2nd gens circa 1993 had round ones, then comes the fuzzy phase, when the models had the rectangular as well as the round ones. From the original JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) catalogues dated 1996, this particular version did come with the round ones. Trust Mitsubishi to make things interesting for the purists

The rig on the day i acquired had off-road spec aftermarket suspension setup front and rear. The rear had a lift kit installed. We have since got rid of it and restored the OEM KYB shocks front and rear and new springs on the back. This was mainly to re-activate the electronic damper control on the struts (front and back). The off-road springs were way to stiff for the damper to function correctly. Since there is negligible difference between the OEM springs in the back between the SWB and LWB, for convenience we used the LWB Pajero springs, which are a wee bit taller and higher cross-section profile than the SWB springs, so the slightly increased stance in the rear. This is now much less pronounced since with daily running, the springs at the back have now settled in nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
That is a very neat looking vehicle! 20+ years and still a head turner!

A true mountain goat!

Congrats on the buy.
Many thanks HappyWheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
That is one gorgeous vehicle.
Slurp.
Thanks for the compliments, bro.
autobahner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:54   #41
BANNED

Default Re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Hi All,
I am very interested in picking up this 1998 Pajero - https://www.olx.in/item/pajero-4x4-1...n-IDTJzq1.html
I will have to go from New Delhi to Mumbai for that. So, need a little help. Does anyone have any information about it and what would be your view, shall I go for it or not, right pricing? I dont mind putting in some extra dough to bring it in good shape after purchase if required.
Kaboooooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 16:36   #42
BHPian

Default Re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboooooom View Post
Hi All,
I am very interested in picking up this 1998 Pajero - https://www.olx.in/item/pajero-4x4-1...n-IDTJzq1.html
I will have to go from New Delhi to Mumbai for that. So, need a little help. Does anyone have any information about it and what would be your view, shall I go for it or not, right pricing? I dont mind putting in some extra dough to bring it in good shape after purchase if required.
Would recommend buying an Indian one over this.
Reasons:
1. It does not really give anything substantially above Indian versions
2. Imports of 90's- papers are often suspect
3. 2500 engine- weaker than 2800 cc and also auto, 2800 itself is underpowered
4. No airbags/ ABS : available of Indian version
5. Mumbai car: Rust chances much higher than Delhi
6. Auto transmission: most cases would be in bad shape
7 Sunroof: not mentioned but i guessed would be there: source of rust and leakage
8. Price: attractive, which makes its all the more dangerous- you might spend a fortune doing it up

If it were a 2 door SWB then one might still pursue.
Rather get an Indian invoiced car up north with service records. Up-front costs will be higher but much more peace of mind and better resale too.
NCR/CH/PB have loads of pajeros lovingly maintained by 1st owners.

Keep in mind total ownership costs and not just upfront.
pajero is a dream car for many ( including me), get the best one you can buy and then improve it further.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote