Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 10:33   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,672
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default

@DKG >> At the price mentioned, the THAR would come close to 9 lakhs on road with all bells and whistles in Bombay. At this price there will be very few takers unless Mahindra can add good value to the same deal by offering alloys with decent tires a snorkel intake, bull bar and alteast half of the cosmetic interior addons that a potential customer would have to add to make his ride worthwhile(aesthetics & comfort wise).

Besides, on another thought, I fail to understand why a customer would have to pay a premium for a crdi engine with ac & ps, since crdi technology is now standard across all brands of diesel vehicles and ac & ps are no longer a luxury!!
I certainly dont think Mahindra can justify the price for providing independent front suspension either!!

There is no comparision with a gypsy!!
Gypsy is a peice of antique machinery like the old willys/ 540 that is still doing duty in modern avatar with no creature comforts whose primary market is police and defence forces where creature comforts are not accepted as the norm.
Whereas the THAR is going to be positioned as a modern offering with new tech under the old skin. The new tech isnt too revolutionary to command a high price, since most of the mechanical parts will surely come out of the Mahindra parts bin, the body being the most visible of them all.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th May 2010 at 10:34.
jaysmokesleaves is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 10:33   #212
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,194
Thanked: 1,988 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

you are actually suggesting that one can pay 8L+ for a vehicle that has basic 4wd, a pushrod engine, and an old 540 body.
This is why i've been saying for a long time that, if the Thar is gonna be priced at anything above 5 lac, it should look quite different from its current avtar!



Quote:
The HT is usually made by some outside firm i forget the name. One will hardly avoid water leaks during monsoon.
I believe it was a company called 'Roplas'. It used to look horrible. hope the that comes with an integrated looking factory option.
JayD is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 11:17   #213
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

What I would like to see

Thar 4x4 ps, a/c, removeable hardtop Rs 6.75 ex showroom

Thar 4x4 ps, a/c, softtop Rs 6.45 ex showroom

Thar 4x4, ps, soft top Rs 6.15 ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, a/c. removeable hardtop Rs 6 lacs ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, a/c, soft top Rs 5.7 lacs ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, soft top Rs 5.4 lacs ex showroom

I feel Mahindra should see some decent volumes with such a Thar stable.

What's your view ??

PS: Since the states are getting too greedy on lifetax it may make sense to buy this car minus the bells and whistles and add up as accessories. The lifetax component itself has become a major factor nowadays

Last edited by DKG : 16th May 2010 at 11:23.
DKG is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 11:27   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Vikram,
I would also like Thar to be priced at 6L on road. But, i think it isn't practical.
A new hard top Gypsy in 2009 costed me 6.2 Lakhs on road. Like you know, this comes with no PS, no AC, no bells and whistles. Not that am complaining
Compare any petrol with diesel variant, for a diesel motor, one would pay atleast 75K more.
That already brings the mark to 7 lakhs. If you would include AC, PS and stuff, i do not know how they can sell it at less than 7.5 lakhs.
Maybe i am wrong somewhere. Would like to hear your thoughts.
Cheers,
Deepak
People are going to jump on you for comparing "The THAR" with a gypsy.
Do you know that your gypsy will do rings around the THAR? It WILL DO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
And don't forget this is no longer BS4 compliant. The option of a BS4 Gypsy no longer exists !
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
If Maruti provides a BS4 compliant petrol Gypsy, my guess on its price would be 6.5 lakhs.
So, a diesel equivalent with AC and PS would surely come to the 8Lakhs mark.
Cheers,
Deepak
Guys, whether it is BS4, BS5 or BS6, it need not cost more..please. You cannot sell henceforth if the vehicle is not BS4, atleast in metroes, hence the forced change by the manufacturers. Do you think they gave us the newer tech because they want to...??

If that was the case, CRDi should have been given to us a decade ago!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@DKG >> At the price mentioned, the THAR would come close to 9 lakhs on road with all bells and whistles in Bombay. At this price there will be very few takers unless Mahindra can add good value to the same deal by offering alloys with decent tires a snorkel intake, bull bar and alteast half of the cosmetic interior addons that a potential customer would have to add to make his ride worthwhile(aesthetics & comfort wise).

Besides, on another thought, I fail to understand why a customer would have to pay a premium for a crdi engine with ac & ps, since crdi technology is now standard across all brands of diesel vehicles and ac & ps are no longer a luxury!!

I certainly dont think Mahindra can justify the price for providing independent front suspension either!!

There is no comparision with a gypsy!!
Gypsy is a peice of antique machinery like the old willys/ 540 that is still doing duty in modern avatar with no creature comforts whose primary market is police and defence forces where creature comforts are not accepted as the norm.

Whereas the THAR is going to be positioned as a modern offering with new tech under the old skin. The new tech isnt too revolutionary to command a high price, since most of the mechanical parts will surely come out of the Mahindra parts bin, the body being the most visible of them all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
This is why i've been saying for a long time that, if the Thar is gonna be priced at anything above 5 lac, it should look quite different from its current avtar!

I believe it was a company called 'Roplas'. It used to look horrible. hope the that comes with an integrated looking factory option.
Correct, roplas is the name and i wasnt sure of it..thanks.

BTW, you guys think the THAR can sell with a non crdi engine?

Anyways, we are here to wait and watch..until then we can only speculate.
headers is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 11:28   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,672
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default

The 1st option looks good. I think they can provide alloys & tubeless for the same price.
Do i sound too greedy
jaysmokesleaves is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 11:43   #216
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

Xylo E2 is 6.5 lacs ex showroom. The Thar should be 5 lacs for the base version with 2wd and soft top.

So revised pricing (ex showroom) suggestion:

Thar 2wd ps soft top Rs 5 lacs

Add 60k for a/c and hardtop

Add 75k for 4x4 and 1 lac for 4x4 with mld and low ratio rear diff

So Thar with ps, a/c, hardtop and basic 4x4 should top it at 6.35 lacs ex showroom and 6.6 lacs for mld low ration rear diff 4x4

How does this sound?

When pricing the Thar, M&M must work back with the Xylo base price, remove Xylo body cost, add 540 body cost (I reckon it will level at Rs 5 lacs that way) then ++ for a/c, hard top, and 4x4

How do you think India will react to this:

Freedom unleashed, the Go Anywhere Thar Classic at an introductory offer of Rs 6.35* lacs

* ex showroom prices, specs 2.5 diesel crdi, 4x4, a/c, ps and removeable hard top.

Last edited by DKG : 16th May 2010 at 12:00.
DKG is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 12:01   #217
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanchipuram
Posts: 169
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What I would like to see

Thar 4x4 ps, a/c, removeable hardtop Rs 6.75 ex showroom

Thar 4x4 ps, a/c, softtop Rs 6.45 ex showroom

Thar 4x4, ps, soft top Rs 6.15 ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, a/c. removeable hardtop Rs 6 lacs ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, a/c, soft top Rs 5.7 lacs ex showroom

Thar 2wd ps, soft top Rs 5.4 lacs ex showroom

I feel Mahindra should see some decent volumes with such a Thar stable.

What's your view ??

PS: Since the states are getting too greedy on lifetax it may make sense to buy this car minus the bells and whistles and add up as accessories. The lifetax component itself has become a major factor nowadays


I agree with you 100 percent DKG. The prices you have mentioned is right on dot.
Dr.Jones
drjones is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 12:05   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,672
Thanked: 1,143 Times
Default

@DKG > At this price im ready to put booking amount down right away!!
jaysmokesleaves is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 12:08   #219
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
I agree with you 100 percent DKG. The prices you have mentioned is right on dot.
Dr.Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@DKG > At this price im ready to put booking amount down right away!!

Listen up M&M !! the voices of reason

suggested pricing: Rs 6.35 lacs ex showroom for the Thar Classic 2.5 diesel crdi, 4x4, a/c, ps, and removeable hardtop.

I think you will have a winner at this price point. Make it a grand success.

PS: I have assumed that the incremental cost of a Xylo body over a 540 tub is 1.5 lacs, correct me if I got that wrong. If I am right then the Thar must be priced at 6.35 lacs for the std 4x4 with a/c, ps, and removeable hardtop.

other assumptions are:

4x4 basic package @ 75 k
a/c + hardtop @ 75 k
total Rs 1.35 lacs

Base 2wd Thar with 540 body and softop Rs 5 lacs ex showroom. Is someone listening? here is your low cost Thar

Give it the DI turbo and the leaf front end suspension and you have your ultra low cost Thar 2wd at Rs 4 lacs?

Last edited by DKG : 16th May 2010 at 12:27.
DKG is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 13:12   #220
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Listen up M&M !!
Base 2wd Thar...
Give it the DI turbo and the leaf front end suspension...
If M&M decides to position the Thar this way - 2wd, DI turbo engine, leaf-sprung front susp - just to present a super-low-cost variant, people opting for the Thar VLX (or even any Thar 4wd) would be VERY few and far between. UNLESS the VLX 4wd looks and drives entirely differently - perhaps like the Thar on display at the Auto Expo, lights, bull bar, winch, etc. and all the other trappings of the Scorpio VLX.

So why put in all the effort to develop the Thar as a capable off-road vehicle at all, if M&M wants to launch it in 2wd guise?

My preference, as I mentioned earlier, would be a Thar VLX 4wd.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 16th May 2010 at 13:14.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 13:17   #221
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Now I can imagine sales guys discouraging prospective Thar buyers from choosing 4WD. This can do everything in 2WD saar, why waste money on 4WD?
Samurai is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 13:33   #222
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So why put in all the effort to develop the Thar as a capable off-road vehicle at all, if M&M wants to launch it in 2wd guise?
A 2wd Thar or a low cost Thar is still speculation. Its entirely my thinking that these options can widen the Thar's appeal and also the low cost variant replace the Major.

In any car you have base versions and the top end versions. Quite obviously the top end versions will have their own segment and neither low nor top end cannibalise the other's USP

I remember when BMW offered the 7 series with a piddly 2.8 litre six cylinder at the same time the car also sported the 5 litre V12. Neither car clash and the buyer profiles are totally different.
DKG is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 13:35   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If M&M decides to position the Thar this way - 2wd, DI turbo engine, leaf-sprung front susp - just to present a super-low-cost variant, people opting for the Thar VLX (or even any Thar 4wd) would be VERY few and far between. UNLESS the VLX 4wd looks and drives entirely differently - perhaps like the Thar on display at the Auto Expo, lights, bull bar, winch, etc. and all the other trappings of the Scorpio VLX.

So why put in all the effort to develop the Thar as a capable off-road vehicle at all, if M&M wants to launch it in 2wd guise?

My preference, as I mentioned earlier, would be a Thar VLX 4wd.
My god man, you actually liked the "trappings" on what was shown @ the Auto Expo?

I dont want to be seen anywhere near that over-engineered on bling contraption.

I would rather pay less and add the stuff I *need* myself. Its not exactly rocket science to add a couple of lights and a bull bar. And none of those things added make it a good offroader. Maybe some maxxis tyres, diff-locks, carbon fiber leaf springs, a winch, ah the stuff dreams are made of. Puppy love
Red Liner is online now  
Old 16th May 2010, 14:17   #224
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default

All standard Mahindra jeeps sell more in 2WD avatar, right? So why not the Thar?
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 16th May 2010, 14:25   #225
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

The 4WD creates the reputation, 2WD brings in the money.
Samurai is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She is home, She is Hot & Yes its Punto arishi1 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 13th November 2009 10:50
456GT Engine Blows manziee_crusier Technical Stuff 0 21st February 2008 11:52
Hyundai blows whistle on small car norm navdeep The Indian Car Scene 11 24th January 2007 16:02
Maruti blows away competition again! neverclever The Indian Car Scene 5 20th October 2004 04:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:51.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks