Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 13:31   #661
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
What you need is an included angle of almost 180 degrees (straight line) at your elbows. Then keep your hands at '10 minutes to 2" position, incline the seat backrest to provide exactly required and correct lower back support and enjoy the drive! For some inexplicable reason, in our country, many people sit wrongly and then keep on cribbing. I am sure that you will agree to my statement that "if you can't sit properly in the driver's seat, you can't drive properly".

At least say "thank you" now, OK? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you, Behram-ji, for the explanation! As far as the Scorpio's seats are concerned, lower back and thigh support have been comfortable for me, especially given that I do have a lower back (L5-S1) problem.

Some day I hope to take the Thar out with your permission (and preferably with you along too ), and do a 24-hour non-stop run (you'll agree not many people can do that kind of a stint at the wheel), and maybe even include cold weather testing in the process!

And only then will I buy it, hard-top, AC and all.

The other option would be to wait till someone I know buys one, and then convince him to let me drive it for prolonged periods (like I did for the Scorpio) - but that's going to take too long...
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 13:35   #662
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Some day I hope to take the Thar out with your permission (and preferably with you along too ), and do a 24-hour non-stop run (you'll agree not many people can do that kind of a stint at the wheel), and maybe even include cold weather testing in the process!
The Thar is not exctly for that. As far as I understand.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 13:50   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The Thar is not exctly for that. As far as I understand.
I don't agree.

Otherwise how will off-roaders from Chennai go to Delhi to attend OTR in relative comfort. Today Chennai - Mumbai takes 2.5 days. Thar will make that 1 day and make Chennai - Delhi 2 days
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 13:55   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't agree.
To go to OTRs, fine. You will take a Thar for a PAN INDIA 24-hour trip?

We dont even know whether it will get a hardtop.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:01   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
What you need is an included angle of almost 180 degrees (straight line) at your elbows. Then keep your hands at '10 minutes to 2" position, incline the seat backrest to provide exactly required and correct lower back support and enjoy the drive!
Super post Behram, I just love it when you reaffirm my seating postition


Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I will HAPPILY buy the THAR as a daily drive/long drive vehicle once the time comes to change my car.
LOL, sad to loose a gypsy guy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The other option would be to wait till someone I know buys one, and then convince him to let me drive it for prolonged periods (like I did for the Scorpio) - but that's going to take too long...
Thats a very interesting propostion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Today Chennai - Mumbai takes 2.5 days. Thar will make that 1 day and make Chennai - Delhi 2 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To go to OTRs, fine. You will take a Thar for a PAN INDIA 24-hour trip?

We dont even know whether it will get a hardtop.

SSSSSSSH. A new vehicle is coming in for that i believe!!
headers is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:02   #666
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The Thar is not exctly for that. As far as I understand.
Any particular reason why you think so? Could you elaborate?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:13   #667
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...SSSSSSSH. A new vehicle is coming in for that i believe!!
The Storm 4X4, right ?

I can see a new thread in the making "The Storm 4X4 blows in" !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th June 2010 at 14:22.
Blue Thunder is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:15   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Any particular reason why you think so? Could you elaborate?
Which one of the below would you take for a 24-hour nonstop drive in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar she blows !!-t15.jpg  

Thar she blows !!-mahindrascorpiohybrid1.jpg  

Spitfire is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:17   #669
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To go to OTRs, fine. You will take a Thar for a PAN INDIA 24-hour trip?

We dont even know whether it will get a hardtop.
Let me share with you something that I learnt this time. The engine with A/C compressor is already undergoing testing in the vehicle and I'm 101% sure that the THAR will come in HT & A/C dressing.

And yes I have already started pataoing home ministry as well as save for it .

And yes I'll do Pan - India 24 Hrs run on it. I'll remove the rear bench and put mattress to sleep if one needs to

Last edited by MileCruncher : 30th June 2010 at 14:19.
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:21   #670
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
What you need is an included angle of almost 180 degrees (straight line) at your elbows. Then keep your hands at '10 minutes to 2" position, incline the seat backrest to provide exactly required and correct lower back support and enjoy the drive! For some inexplicable reason, in our country, many people sit wrongly and then keep on cribbing. I am sure that you will agree to my statement that "if you can't sit properly in the driver's seat, you can't drive properly".
180 degrees at the elbow whilst driving is not the correct posture. Elbows are always bent to maybe 90 or more degrees to provide maximum comfort. 180 degrees is for boy racers with full blast music & in a race car.

Just to put things further into perspective, almost all Mahindra vehicles have a less than perfect/uncomfortable driving position/stance. Scorpio which is their most refined vehicle to-date has a cramped front seat & drivers knee many a times touches the front dash. Also the steering rake adjustment at the lowest setting fouls with thighs.
AWD is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:21   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Which one of the below would you take for a 24-hour nonstop drive in India?
@Spitfire - You do have a sense of humour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Let me share with you something that I learnt this time. The engine with A/C compressor is already undergoing testing in the vehicle and I'm 101% sure that the THAR will come in HT & A/C dressing.

And yes I have already started pataoing home ministry as well as save for it .

And yes I'll do Pan - India 24 Hrs run on it. I'll remove the rear bench and put mattress to sleep if one needs to

Anirudh, You ought to drive a 4x4 Scorp off the road and then take a decision - I dont think it is fair to compare a no frills THAR with the Mighty MUSCULAR SCORPIO for a Pan India Tour.

EDIT: I may be inclined to the THAR only if it is priced properly, else makes no sense atleast to me!
headers is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:32   #672
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Which one of the below would you take for a 24-hour nonstop drive in India?
Simple, when compared to a 4wd Scorpio with electric shift transfer case, I will always prefer the first one considering the price at which it will come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'll remove the rear bench and put mattress to sleep if one needs to


Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 30th June 2010 at 14:33.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:37   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Let me share with you something that I learnt this time. The engine with A/C compressor is already undergoing testing in the vehicle and I'm 101% sure that the THAR will come in HT & A/C dressing.
Awesome. Now to wait and watchout for the price. If it goes over the XYLO 4x4 we are going to see some sibling rivalry in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Simple, when compared to a 4wd Scorpio with electric shift transfer case, I will always prefer the first one considering the price at which it will come!
What about throwing the XYLO 4x4 in the mix. Forget the ugly part.

Like Headers mentioned price is crucial factor right now.

Last edited by Spitfire : 30th June 2010 at 14:44.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:38   #674
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Thumbs up Kudos to Behram sir and Team !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
... We are doing complete recertification of seats for this purpose. That's what "slog overs" is all about....
Really commendable effort from you and your team, Sir. . It feels good to know that such (small but important, for me) details are given due importance nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
...Just do me one favour find a way to seat six facing the front in the Thar. ...
No offense intended, but sorry, the only way to seat six facing forward is to have 2 Thars, one behind the other. Come to think of it, you can actually seat 8 facing forward .
Blue Thunder is offline  
Old 30th June 2010, 14:43   #675
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Spitfire - You do have a sense of humour Anirudh, You ought to drive a 4x4 Scorp off the road and then take a decision - I dont think it is fair to compare a no frills THAR with the Mighty MUSCULAR SCORPIO for a Pan India Tour.

EDIT: I may be inclined to the THAR only if it is priced properly, else makes no sense atleast to me!
Well, while I'm not too sure of doing a Pan India tour on the Thar, I wouldn't choose the Scorpio either. I love my Bolero and I'll stick to it!

Though I may consider a Thar for OTR purposes.
Backseat Driver is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She is home, She is Hot & Yes its Punto arishi1 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 13th November 2009 10:50
456GT Engine Blows manziee_crusier Technical Stuff 0 21st February 2008 11:52
Hyundai blows whistle on small car norm navdeep The Indian Car Scene 11 24th January 2007 16:02
Maruti blows away competition again! neverclever The Indian Car Scene 5 20th October 2004 04:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks