Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2010, 23:55   #946
Team-BHP Support

Aam Janta who don't care about seat belts, ABS or Airbag or Helmets, can't really be concerned with safety.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:21   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Its common to hear MM consumers say that they know of their vehicles lack of ability & drive accordingly. Now, one can guess what sort of products a Company would device for such consumers!

Another point usually raised is about the vehicle pricing, where some say that at the cost MM provides vehicles, its impossible to provide safety.

As an old saying goes "You get what you ask", now pity over here is that Consumers are not asking & hence the Company is least interested in providing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aam Janta who don't care about seat belts, ABS or Airbag or Helmets, can't really be concerned with safety.

Is the THAR a lifestyle vehicle? Or a "Aam Janta" vehicle? If it is the latter, then M&M are better off to take the CRDe engine and plonk in the good old DI turbo that keeps running and running and running
Old 10th August 2010, 07:41   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Is the THAR a lifestyle vehicle? Or a "Aam Janta" vehicle? If it is the latter, then M&M are better off to take the CRDe engine and plonk in the good old DI turbo that keeps running and running and running
Aam Janta or Mango People also want some juice. So CRDe is required
Hence "NOTHING ELSE WILL DO"
Old 10th August 2010, 08:33   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even with Thar, most will be purchased by mango people. but let's forget them, how many offroading Jeepers wear seat belts?
Old 10th August 2010, 09:49   #950
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Is the THAR a lifestyle vehicle? Or a "Aam Janta" vehicle?
My take on the Thar: Due to the 2.2L engine & 4x4 ability it points towards a Lifestyle vehicle. MM would would like to portray it like a Lifestyle vehicle but would want to sell it to the "Aam Janta". This is very evident from all the threads launched here by DB. All MM wants is the numbers that would justify its launch. So, Thar would turn out to be "Aam Admi" Vehicle coming at the price of a Lifestyle one.

Both Tata & MM portray Safari, Safari twin cab(whatever its called), Scorpio twin cab,etc. as lifestyle vehicles but want to sell them to the Aam Junta. So, lifestyle tag is a mere gimmick to attract some sales.

Also, the older MM jeeps - 550/540, etc. were taken up by Aam Junta, after a couple of decades or more these are the same Jeeps essentially but coming with a tag of Lifestyle!

@Samurai, even if the Aam Janta does not care about seat belts, Airbags, ABS, but their mere presence in the vehicles sometimes saves lives. Also, imagine if someone is imparted knowledge about their importance & he wants to make use of these features, atleast he won't have to worry that they are absent in his vehicle. So, providing is one & using/not using is another game.
Similarly MM should launch/provide adequately safe vehicles with respect to safety/crash worthiness or simply not launch them in the market.
Old 10th August 2010, 11:15   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even with Thar, most will be purchased by mango people. but let's forget them, how many offroading Jeepers wear seat belts?

AFAIK, Most this side of the country wear Seatbelts while Offroading
Old 10th August 2010, 12:45   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Aam Janta or Mango People also want some juice. So CRDe is required
Hence "NOTHING ELSE WILL DO"

I think Mahindra is going for the CRDe for a bigger reason of meeting BS IV norms and emission requirements. They have the engine already and development on the older engine is additional cost which they may not be prepared to invest given the quantity and the cost of the 540/550. if Mahindra wants to call it or market it as a lifestyle vehicle then AC and HT should be made available. The AC is so basic these days in every model.

It is a sad truth that as consumers we do not demand much in terms of a new design or a drastic change in the way we buy these vehicles. Mahindra will be forced to improve to stay in the market if we as consumers demanded features that are now common place in other countries safety and ergonomics both. As an example that door on the Thar is unchanged from time immemorial and being used in several models across the range and Mahindra has not even bothered to make cosmetic changes to it let alone improve on the locks and the fittings on that door.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:52   #953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I think its more got to do with the type of consumers MM has in India, its traditional market. ...

Another point usually raised is about the vehicle pricing, where some say that at the cost MM provides vehicles, its impossible to provide safety.

As an old saying goes "You get what you ask", now pity over here is that Consumers are not asking & hence the Company is least interested in providing.
My comments were about MMs actions in the US.
And I think the saying is 'you get what you pay for' with subclauses incorporating monkeys and peanuts.

Quote:
Not just the Aam Janta. If you have to pay separately, safety will not sell. Real safety (as opposed to add-ons like airbags and ABS) is not a tangible 'feature'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th August 2010, 00:40   #954
BANNED

one question for everyone.

how many owners of Thar will be using it as:

1. daily drive
2. ONLY OTRs
3. both

personally i would be using it for long trips to mountains (manali, leh etc) and for OTRs.

for daily drive i might be using a small hatch (petrol).
Old 11th August 2010, 07:39   #955
BHPian

It's nice to know that so many are asking for a hard top + AC variant and have gone as far as saying that they will not buy the Thar if these two are not offered. Mahindra will force even an old time loyalist like me (Our family has owned 7 Mahindra vehicles and own a Xylo E8 even now) to not buy the Thar, a vehicle I love!

For those asking for more safety features, I salute you and I'm with you.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:03   #956
BHPian

I would buy a Thar when a 4x4 and 4-door (LWB?) version comes out
Hmm, would that be a Storm 4x4? Or Xylo 4x4?
Old 11th August 2010, 10:08   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

1. daily drive
2. ONLY OTRs
3. both

personally i would be using it for long trips to mountains (manali, leh etc) and for OTRs.

I would buy the Thar when it would come with front facing rear bench, HT and AC.

And then, if I buy it, it will replace my safari. And since we have an A-Star for daily drive, it will be for highway commuting and an occasional off-roading.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:54   #958
Senior - BHPian

from 12th May 2010 to 11th august impressive 64 pages of discussions on how Thar blows.
Has it yet hit the indian road? When are they launching and pricing. Had sufficient speculatives.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:11   #959
BHPian

Default Usage

Quote:

1. daily drive
2. ONLY OTRs
3. both

Mine would be for daily drives and the hills and forests. I am too chicken for OTRs. But we still don't know what it costs and when. I am still struggling to justify it as a family car by saying that we only have two passengers most times.

I am waiting till I can drive one with the better half in tow, after all she pressed the go button when I bought the Bolero.

Regards,

Chaunfa
Old 11th August 2010, 11:33   #960
BHPian

Quote:

1. daily drive
2. ONLY OTRs
3. both

One question Parm, what is the point in answering this question?
What do you plan to make out of it?
This will lead to nothing but speculations and more of it.
Cheers,
Deepak
Closed Thread