Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 19th August 2010, 17:23   #31
BHPian

Nice Jeep 53BHP.

Can you provide inputs about the team and the rest of the process.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 21:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Oh yes - I just read in the cost break up, the soft top was 11,000/-

I have a couple of more questions! Does the Softtop have a layer of ply wood on the roof?
Anything else that is unique/special about the top?!

Thanks!
No plywood. But i am planning to add a layer of elastomeric nitrile rubber insulation to the under side of the roof. This should cool things down a bit. I have it under bonnet and on fire wall too and the engine is pretty quiet for a xdp. I have it on the inner wall/foot well as well

Its not water absorbent as it has a closed cell structure and 30mm of rubber nitrile is equal to like 2 inches of thermocole
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 22:58   #33
BHPian

Default The Roof!!

The Concept

I had seen this low res grainy snap of the ill fated Mahindra Marksman and really liked the look. Originally I fully intended for it to be HT (maybe one day even.....). But after trying to find the right place, at the right price I just gave up (for now) and decided to make it a permanent soft top

Here's a pic of the Marskman and some other Jeeps that i sourced my idea from:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  3.2 KB

Name:  HuntMahindra.JPG
Views: 1992
Size:  38.4 KB

The idea was to get that split roof/targa top design and still keep the water out. Everyone dissuaded me from doing it saying that it was impossible to keep the water out as the railing is only available on the sides

But 1 friend (who i will leave un named for now...to be named in team post) said "Rohit, you think it and I will try my best to make it happen"

So we did. It involved adding another channel/railing on top and a bit of fabrication. All done by Ramesh at Kurla

The Execution:

Here the T top look is very clear and the slope that I gave the back. Again managed to retain every part as stock. Bent the uprights to the shape I wanted.

Had to add a couple of smaller rods of heavier gauge to take the tension of the fabric when it was stretched on, without bending. I cut the top forming plates also at an angle:
Name:  DSCN2791.JPG
Views: 1955
Size:  37.1 KB

Here are some more pics:

Name:  DSCN2792.JPG
Views: 1932
Size:  30.9 KB

As you can see I had to use a bit of sealant to keep the water out completely. I have just filled it in. Still have to knife it smooth

Name:  DSCN2793.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2794.JPG
Views: 1902
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2795.JPG
Views: 1929
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2796.JPG
Views: 1887
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2797.JPG
Views: 1904
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2798.JPG
Views: 1866
Size:  32.6 KB

Not exactly over the moon with that screw there. Could have kicked Ramesh for that. But i guess if you want that attention to detail, you have to stand there and get it done. I did not. My bad:
Name:  DSCN2799.JPG
Views: 1885
Size:  27.4 KB

Last edited by 53BHP : 19th August 2010 at 23:06.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

One thing that clearly stands out is :- It is wrinkle free. Have you bent the rear bow at an angle? How have you sealed the seating area near the targa band?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 23:23   #35
BHPian

Default Final thoughts and Conclusions on the Roof!!

Was I Happy?

Hell yeah!!. It came out exactly as I imagined it should be. Have seen many MM540 soft tops. But I think this design is a bit unique. The fabric is fantastic. Its green and matches perfectly the white/yellow/green of the body paint

Would I Do It Again?

Hell No!!!. For this look, the effort cost me 11000/-. Had I gone with the ready made hood of single piece design in the best possible fabric, it would have cost 3000/-

Dont get me wrong. I love how its come out. Apart from the screws here and there and the single biggest mistake that Ramesh made (The back cant be zippered from inside. You have to get out to do it. So if it rains and you want protection, you have to get wet yourself, stop the Jeep, get out and zip it shut) I am very happy with the design (mine) and execution (others)> I just feel there are too many downsides

The seams allow water through and need to be sealed (now done). Some fabrication work is required which is best avoided. The Joints around the T top need to be sealed. I used Silicone Sealant. Big mistake. The silicon softens the acrylic fiber in the soft top, which will eventually lead to degradation and failure (Luckily I did not get too much of the sealant on the fabric)

Advice: Its Free!!

If you must do a custom top try to make as few changes as possible to the structure

Whoever makes it have him make it a little loose. With a little sunlight and exposure to the elements, it tends to shrink and tighten up

Follow care and tips instructions for soft tops (many on the net and on team bhp). It will improve the life of your top.

If you are going to air con, do a good insulation job
Old 19th August 2010, 23:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
One thing that clearly stands out is :- It is wrinkle free. Have you bent the rear bow at an angle? How have you sealed the seating area near the targa band?

Spike
Thanks Spike. Yes I did seal the targa band from outside and yes I bent the rear bow at an angle. The main bows on the outside are stock. The thinner inner one's Ramesh did rather cleverly

I wish I had better pictures to put up. Its been raining here cats and dogs ever since i started this thread, and all pics are in overcast conditions. Also I am not exactly Atul Kasbekar (I cant shoot great pics and I dont use a Xylo...)
Old 19th August 2010, 23:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@53 BHP, can you post side view, three quarter front view of your Jeep? Thanks!

Spike
Here you go Spike. Here are all the 3 quarters that I have. If you need to see anything more specific please ask and i will be happy to oblige:

Name:  DSC_1740.JPG
Views: 1889
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  DSC_1748.JPG
Views: 1887
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  DSC_1753.JPG
Views: 1890
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 20th August 2010, 18:27   #38
BHPian

Default Hokay Tyres!!

This one took a lot of deliberation and research on tyre prices

I had decided to retain the rims as stock 16inchers. I know changing to 15 inchers would have given a lot more options

Thanks to M&M Scorpio there are a fair bit of 16" tyre options available now

The choice was between NDMS and A/T. I was leaning towards NDMS because of its superb offroad capability (and who am I kidding- because it is cheap)

I also saw Apollo Hawkz R/Ts which i was getting for a good price of 4800/-

But finally decided to go in for the NDMS. After speaking to Gogi and calling Kohli tyres who said they would call back I checked on the net and called Gobind tyres

Spoke with Kulwinder the owner and he just happened to have MRF NDMS. Since Steiger and I were both buying (he for his Willys) and me for my 540, we wanted a total of 10 in all

We went to Gobind and and Kulwinder started showing us Maxxis tyres as he deals Maxxis also

To cut it short, he tempted me, I changed my mind (after justifying to myself the additional expense...you know better highway ability blah blah you drive 60 to 80km on highway to do 20km of off road etc etc) and finally got myself 5 Maxxis Bravo tyres

Name:  AT771.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  13.4 KB

Are they good. Hell yeah!!. Is it worth the additional 3000k per whack? I really dont know. The NDMS on Steiger's Willys is doing as well both on road as well as of it

In conclusion:

WHOEVER LOOKED AT THE COSTING THREAD, PLEASE ADD 32K FOR 5 NEW TYRES. MISSED THAT ONE, SORRY!!
Old 12th May 2011, 20:23   #39
BHPian

Default Re: My 540DP Restoration II (Very Short Thread)

Very nicely done.
A lot of effort put in.
Saw this up for sale on classifieds some time back.
Has it been sold?
iron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 18:57   #40
BHPian

Thanks mate
Really put in a lot of effort. Its still available. Breaks my heart to sell. But I unexpectedly chanced upon a gen 1 pajero which i have always wanted to buy. Started another extensive restoration on it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...on-thread.html (My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread)

I really want to hold on to it, but i have 3 cars in my garage. Cant keep them all. I intend to keep my Mercedes W124 for atleast another 10 years (already have it for 5), the Pajero is just back on the road. So if anything has to go it will be the Jeep. Also have 2 bike restoration projects going which are sucking money out of my pocket like vacuum cleaners

These automobiles are like addictive drugs. You keep saying this is the last one, no more. But they just wont listen (already have a 3rd bike project going at the back of my head)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Very nicely done.
A lot of effort put in.
Saw this up for sale on classifieds some time back.
Has it been sold?
Old 13th May 2011, 20:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

What??? ure selling the 540 Rohit? Without bringing it to one OTR?? Not fair!! After all the work you've done on the 540, its a great machine to keep. You wanted to aircon it, what did u do about that? I would keep this for errands, runabouts in town where you are likely to scratch and dent a car or for places where youd generally worry about the cars emblems and other stuff getting stolen and the occasional OTR. The Pajero id keep for places where youd not want the Jeep to go. Think about it!! Please!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 01:32   #42
BHPian

gogiji
the jeep will stay through this offroad season definitely. believe me i dont want to let it go. the ac has been fitted a while ago and i must say steiger has done a k.a job. the mounting, pulley, belt arrangement is like oem fitment. my soft top cabin cools like a walk in cooler freezer (you obviously know what i am referring to) in the peak of summer.

tomorrow i give the pajero its first long run. pune. in preparation for a trip down south to conoor next week. you must look at it when its done. i will brng it along to one of our offroad trips as support vehicle, food store with fridge and all.....
Old 14th May 2011, 01:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Great Rohit. I guess will have to see your 540 and get tips on how work should be dont on the 550. Whenever you have the time, let me know, ill come over to see and learn.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 09:01   #44
BHPian

Gogi

Please dont come over. I will come over with the MM to your place. Will give me a chance to ogle at your collection again

Actually you should come over to the garage and meet Steiger and his Dad Dominic

I am planningto get some work done on the MM's suspension before Steiger goes off on vacation...

For your 550 the work on the ac will be very very simple. Its all more or less setup for the job. For the 540 you have to do everything from scratch. The bracket for the compressor on my 540 is a real ingenious piece of Indian art jugaad

See you soon

Rohit

PS: Here's the MM and Steiger's Willys on a recent trip to Steiger's beach house:
Name:  DSCN0479.JPG
Views: 1451
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0481.JPG
Views: 1409
Size:  30.8 KB

Last edited by 53BHP : 14th May 2011 at 09:16.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
The bracket for the compressor on my 540 is a real ingenious piece of Indian art jugaad
Rohit, can we have some pics of these please?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote