Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 20:48   #76
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Shibu, where is the hub lock? I can't see it or did I miss it?Spike
SPIKEY, Not hub locks dear. My mistake. Its was the LHS drive flange. The mechanic was always calling drive flange as hub locks. Hence I also repeated. the same..

Name:  drive flange.jpg
Views: 6653
Size:  13.4 KB
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 12:05   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
While searching for some Defender pics to help my restoration.I stumbled upon these Defender advts.. Thought of sharing it with all.

All pics copyright to respective owners.

Attachment 416241
I met a guy a few years back who worked with a test team at LR and he assured me that this advert and another where the LR climbs up a dam were real shots in stock vehicles.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:39   #78
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
hey shibu, looking forward for the restoration of the Landy.
Abheek, please take photos during your travel to nagpur!
Parm, This thread will be updated regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I met a guy a few years back who worked with a test team at LR and he assured me that this advert and another where the LR climbs up a dam were real shots in stock vehicles.

bigman
, I am not surprised to hear that. Land Rover's can do it. Thanks for sharing the info.


Friends, I forgot to mention or share who was there with me to check this Landy and to test drive it. See below.

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3723.jpg

Land Rover Defender 90  "Go Beyond" - Jeep Captain-img_3742.jpg

Even though Landy's are not his cup of tea, I was really fortunate to have UBS with me to test drive this vehicle and be there with me for the entire process of procuring and shipping this Landy from Sikkim/WB. Thank you Sir. Without you this wouldn't have been possible.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:58   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Shibu! you are the lucky one.

Whats the story with the bull chasing you in Siliguri.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 08:30   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Hey Shibu,
It was great to meet you in Delhi. I really wanted to come and see your Landy on Saturday the 28th Aug, but couldn't for obvious reasons that you know.
Anyways I've spoken to Abheek and we've agreed that when he's in Delhi to pick up the Landy I would see your the vehicle and have a go at the wheel then.
Cheers mate
Harjeev
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:34   #81
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Dates of the delhi - nagpur drive decided. I will be driving from Delhi to Nagpur between 17 to 20 sept .Route : Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Panna - Katni/Bandhavgarh - Jabalpur - Seoni - Nagpur with stop overs at Agra, Panna and other places to explore the area including khajurao. 2 partners found, looking for 1 more . This is one long photography drive of my dreams.

Dr. A Ghosh

We'll drive the defender and another Gypsy.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:06   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Great abheek. So you should be in Delhi by the 17th of September.
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur and i hope that you would take the charge of updating this thread with the latest updates as and when they come up???
I have already maked my dates Please do let me know when you turn up in Delhi and are you getting your own gypsy to Delhi or thinking of driving Shibus white gypsy to nagpur???
Cheers
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 15:17   #83
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Shibu! you are the lucky one.
Whats the story with the bull chasing you in Siliguri.?
SirAlec ,Thanks so much. Please don't remind me the Bull story. That was one of my worst nightmares. Glad that I am still alive. When you talk to UBS sir next time, ask him he will tell you more about that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Shibu,
It was great to meet you in Delhi. I really wanted to come and see your Landy on Saturday the 28th Aug, but couldn't for obvious reasons that you know.
Anyways I've spoken to Abheek and we've agreed that when he's in Delhi to pick up the Landy I would see your the vehicle and have a go at the wheel then. Cheers mate
Harjeev
harjeev, It was great to meet you too in Delhi. Its alright about not seeing the Landy bcos I know the reasons.
Dr. Abheek has almost finalised the trip. Good to know that you are already in touch with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Dates of the delhi - nagpur drive decided. I will be driving from Delhi to Nagpur between 17 to 20 sept .Route : Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Panna - Katni/Bandhavgarh - Jabalpur - Seoni - Nagpur with stop overs at Agra, Panna and other places to explore the area including khajurao. 2 partners found, looking for 1 more . This is one long photography drive of my dreams.
Dr. A Ghosh We'll drive the defender and another Gypsy.
abheekg, Wish you all the very best Doc, for the drive of your dreams.Wish I could join but cant make it this time. Please post a detailed travelogue and pics of your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great abheek. So you should be in Delhi by the 17th of September.
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur and i hope that you would take the charge of updating this thread with the latest updates as and when they come up???
I have already maked my dates Please do let me know when you turn up in Delhi and are you getting your own gypsy to Delhi or thinking of driving Shibus white gypsy to nagpur???Cheers

harjeev
, I am planing to do a full rebuild of the Defender in Nagpur. Myself and Abheek will be updating this thread as its happening. I need some help from you in Delhi. Will send you PM. Yes my White DL Gypsy is accompanying the Landy to Nagpur.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:26   #84
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
So can you share what further work are you guys thinking of getting done at Nagpur Cheers
Harjeev,

Below are the works I am planning to do next. Most of them will be done in Nagpur and remaining will be done in Kerala.

Basic Mechanical work
  • Full mechanical checkup and fix faulty parts
  • Fix faulty gear shift
  • Check and overhaul fuel system
  • Replace entire electricals
  • Check and fix drivetrain
  • Replace all 4x shocks
  • Check and replace coil springs if required
  • Fix the interiors, which includes doors, dash board & seats
Modifications
  • Install External Roll cage
  • Install Roof Rack
  • Install winch bumper in the front
  • Install skid plates for Engine, GB & Frame sliders
  • Install Pinion guards for the propellor shafts
Roll Cage

Name:  Roll Cage_4.JPG
Views: 8157
Size:  47.4 KB

Roll Cage + Roof Rack
Name:  Roll Cage  Roof Rack.jpg
Views: 16016
Size:  70.2 KB

Roof Rack (Exploded View)
Name:  SDrack.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6647
Size:  21.1 KB

Front winch bumper
Name:  Winch Bumper.jpg
Views: 6781
Size:  20.5 KB

Skid Plate
Name:  Skid Plate for GB.JPG
Views: 6313
Size:  31.8 KB

Frame Slider
Name:  Frame Slider.JPG
Views: 6184
Size:  25.3 KB

Pinion Guard
Name:  Pinion Guard.JPG
Views: 6041
Size:  30.0 KB

To be continued.....
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 20:47   #85
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Default

dont forget to renew the timing belt (only original ), Also have the distributor pump/fuel injection pump callibrated for right quantity .

Yours Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 00:18   #86
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Hi. Nice plans.

BTW whats the necessity of frame sliders? (Just asking) I mean frame rails itself can act as sliders as there is no protruding parts/nuts-bolts on it?
May be avoid hard scratches?
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:47   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Great plans Shibu!!!
I am actually interested in the details for the underbody skid plates. Any specific place you are thinking of getting them from or are you getting these specially fabricated???
Also The roof rack and external rollcage will be a great addition.

Cheers
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 13:04   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default diff guard

These diff guard-cum-skid plate looks drool, but doesnt cover the pinion. I think these could be home-fabricated with some good blacksmith and really think steel. GC will go down max 0.5 inch, but gives peace of mind.

Name:  94866lg.jpg
Views: 9838
Size:  60.1 KB
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 13:15   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Hi Shibu,
Your Defender is a beauty as it is.
Get it a winch, spare on the bonnet, suitable tyres and a new paint job.
Get rid of the Mahindra side view mirrors and don't go for the proposed roll bar as it will spoil the looks.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 17:36   #90
BHPian
 
JeepCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai / Gods Own Country -Kerala
Posts: 864
Thanked: 468 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
dont forget to renew the timing belt (only original ), Also have the distributor pump/fuel injection pump callibrated for right quantity .Yours Sudarshan
Sudarshan, Thanks for that tip. I completely missed it. Will do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi. Nice plans.
BTW whats the necessity of frame sliders? (Just asking) I mean frame rails itself can act as sliders as there is no protruding parts/nuts-bolts on it?
May be avoid hard scratches?
offroad_maniac, Frame sliders are to protect the frame and prevent the frame ears from catching on ledges and obstacles.
There are no protruding nuts & bolts on frame,. but the frame ears are vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great plans Shibu!!!
I am actually interested in the details for the underbody skid plates. Any specific place you are thinking of getting them from or are you getting these specially fabricated???
Also The roof rack and external rollcage will be a great addition.
Cheers
harjeev, There are many ready-made skid plates available for Defenders and other 4x4 like your TLC from various vendors. We can either buy them off the shelf or get them fabricated. I am actually looking at both options right now. Will update you once I finalize.
Roof Rack and External Roll cage will be fully bolt on design and will be used only when I am offroading or doing some expeditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
These diff guard-cum-skid plate looks drool, but doesnt cover the pinion. I think these could be home-fabricated with some good blacksmith and really think steel. GC will go down max 0.5 inch, but gives peace of mind.
svsantosh ,Thanks for posting. I am planning to get similar diff guards for all my 4x4's soon. But still loo king at options whether to buy them or fabricate them .Because they aren't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Shibu,
Your Defender is a beauty as it is.
Get it a winch, spare on the bonnet, suitable tyres and a new paint job.
Get rid of the Mahindra side view mirrors and don't go for the proposed roll bar as it will spoil the looks.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, Thank you very much.All your recommendations will be done.
Regarding the roll cage. It will be bolt on design and will used only when I am Offroading or going on long Expeditions. Cannot afford to take a chance with my life once more. You know what I am talking about,rite?.
Shibu
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Land Rover Defender adya33 Super-Cars & Imports in India 69 8th May 2017 15:26
Delhi to Nagpur in Jeep Captain's Land Rover Defender - route planning abheekg Route / Travel Queries 27 9th August 2015 17:44
Xtreme's power "Land Rover Defender 90" xtreme power 4x4 Vehicles 52 21st March 2011 19:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks