jeep george,
finally get to see the car,
had heard a lot about it
this guy is one pot of knowledge....

by the way , need some pictures of her articulating
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 00:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

A beautifully done job. He must be a very knowledgeable guy.

Liked the bumper very much.

PS: however much hard work is done on the suspension setup. Something tells me this vehicle will eat tires like crazy.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 09:45   #33
BHPian

Default Update

Hi All, He named the JEEP ROADDOG as it sounded very Brute, Aggressive and Rugged. Hey….BTW Dogs are very loving and loyal companions.

@Parm: Good, you noticed the droop and the wheel is not touching the ground. Compare the completed JEEP photo where the photo is taken from rear. You can see how much the wheel has traveled down from the wheel arch and still there is more to go.

Name:  REAR LH DROOP.JPG
Views: 1703
Size:  65.0 KB

From the attached picture you can see that the shock absorber has fully opened up and has locked the wheel travel. Moreover the rear suspension is fitted with an anti-roll bar which also limited the droop. If you have a long travel dampers and the anti-roll bar disconnected the wheel will have more downward travel (Droop/Rebound). Most of the Off-roaders abroad have quick disconnect anti –roll bar links. Some vehicles like Nissan and new JEEP Wrangler JK have electrically operated sway bar disconnects.

@SirAlec: Thank you for the compliments.You have a keen eye. Regarding the tire life you might have got a feeling seeing the current tires in the JEEP. The tires you see in the JEEP are old ones. Since the suspension was changed fully investing on new set of tires is not recommended. Suspension change is very critical where even a 1-2mm misalignment will result in scary handling and uneven tire wear. So until the vehicle has clocked some kilometers and its long life is proven it is better to stick with some old tires. Till now the JEEP has clocked some 700Kms and Thank God it is running fine. If there was something terribly wrong it would have been known by now. Imagine when some brand new production cars itself have uneven tire wear problems then what will be our case. Theoretically the the suspension being soft it should give better tire life.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 6th September 2010 at 09:47.
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 11:09   #34
BHPian

hey buddy, have not gone through the full thread so if im repeating something apologies in advance:

Questions:
1. What coils are u using
2. in the picture where she ison the ramp, im guessing thoses are not the olongtravel shocks, if they are not can we get a picture
4. on the ramp, she does not look as she has articulated much, i know thats a lot to do with the shocks locking at full stretch, if u have fitted the long shocks , we need a new picture
4. i absolutely love the paint job, dupoint ???
5. seats are beautiful and what are those side rear mirrors you using??

Sorry but i do not like how those front indicators look at all, not gelling with the rest of the flushed look of the jeep

also the front and the rear bumpers are in ms, aluminium or fibre
xtreme power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 16:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
1. What coils are u using
Both front and back coils are custom made.

Quote:
2. in the picture where she is on the ramp, im guessing thoses are not the olongtravel shocks, if they are not can we get a picture
What picture do you require – Of short travel or long travel shocks? The shocks in the picture are short travel ones.

Quote:
4. on the ramp, she does not look as she has articulated much, i know thats a lot to do with the shocks locking at full stretch, if u have fitted the long shocks , we need a new picture

Will get the pictures shortly. The articulation is limited by shocks and anti-roll bar.

Quote:
4. i absolutely love the paint job, dupoint ???

Yes it is Dupont non- metallic shade. The guy took 2 months to paint it. Six times he painted the base coat to level the dents and lines This shade was inspired from an MM540 ISUZU Petrol which Rohan saw in Mahindra’s Worli office in 2002. (Guess it is Mr.Mahindra’s JEEP).

Quote:
5. seats are beautiful and what are those side rear mirrors you using??
Thanks. The mirrors are from Zen Estilo –Power assisted model.

Quote:

Sorry but i do not like how those front indicators look at all, not gelling with the rest of the flushed look of the jeep
Wanted to use the LED ones like the rear or fit the lights in depression, but ran short of time. Will fit something better later.

Quote:

also the front and the rear bumpers are in ms, aluminium or fibre

Bumpers are fabricated out of M.S.
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 21:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

So "finally" a Jeep which people with back problems can dream of owning & driving !! Would look forward to the long term report of how the suspension held up and any glitches got sorted out.

Why can M&M not make a Jeep with independent suspension, barring the Scorpio that is.

Congratulations on the wonderful build.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 22:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

thats an awesome jeep, looks awesome. i wonder why mahindras cant come with such jeeps...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 11:03   #38

Default Re: Jeepgeorge's M&m "roaddog"

Sree, your roaddog is awesome. Can you share where I buy the front & back bumpers and the grill?
Viewing the pictures of your roaddog, I decided to work my 4x4 MM540 after a long time.
coco-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 13:53   #39
BHPian

Default Re: Jeepgeorge's M&m "roaddog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Both front and back coils are custom made.
What picture do you require – Of short travel or long travel shocks? The shocks in the picture are short travel ones.
Will get the pictures shortly. The articulation is limited by shocks and anti-roll bar.
Yes it is Dupont non- metallic shade. The guy took 2 months to paint it. Six times he painted the base coat to level the dents and lines This shade was inspired from an MM540 ISUZU Petrol which Rohan saw in Mahindra’s Worli office in 2002. (Guess it is Mr.Mahindra’s JEEP).
Thanks. The mirrors are from Zen Estilo –Power assisted model.
Wanted to use the LED ones like the rear or fit the lights in depression, but ran short of time. Will fit something better later.
Bumpers are fabricated out of M.S.
Very nice Jeep done. Kudos to the idea and execution. One thing I could not notice from the pics and posts is the 2 locating arms on both the front and rear live axles. I see leading and trailing arms for front and rear respectively but not the locating arms. In the absence of the same I wonder how lateral movement is restricted.
dieselhead is offline   Reply With Quote