Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 6th October 2010, 20:53   #16
BHPian

The Jeep excels in fit anf finish, especially the paint job. But (with due respect and no offence meant), it lacks the raw appeal and masculine nature of a stock 540 or CJ and bears the look of a ponderous thing which is not agile as a jeep should be.

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 6th October 2010 at 20:54.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 00:18   #17
BANNED

Fazal Sir, nice to see you taking the vehicle to its natural habitat, where she actually belongs.

how did she fared in the offroad conditions?

has Prabhu modified it keeping in mind that this vehicle will go offroad, or he kept it for on-road only?

(psst..i would still prefer Jeeps made by you over this one!)
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 01:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Thanks for the names, as I know some by the real name and some by their handle. I did mention earlier too about the team from Team-BHP and Prabhu working together to transform this regular 540 into what it is.

Prabhu and his team have some very ambitious plans for their next prototype, which they don't let me in on.

Yes, she is in the environment she should be in and not a stand.
Regards,
LOL yes, it can be quite confusing - the names vs. the handles. Suren181 is Suren, Pulsar56 is Nazim, Absynthguzzler is Arun and of course, I use my own name as my handle.

Fazal Saab is shying away from stating here that he is driving it in order to identify defects and kinks. Prabhu and the rest of us are absolutely grateful to Fazal saab for giving his inputs and taking the time to TD the vehicle and help in getting it sorted out. Yes sir, it is only fair to state here that this vehicle owes its existence to you as much as to the others in the team. When we embarked on this project there was a huge debate within us, as to which stage we were to take your inputs. We finally decided that we would get the shell in place, get the car running and then take your help to get the mechanicals sorted out as we knew that we would not be capable of dealing with your advanced and extensive knowledge of jeeps in India unless we had done some work on the vehicle by ourselves. We were also a little afraid that being a purist, you would dismiss the vehicle as a 'sissy car' or 'city boy vehicle'.

Without any guilt about spilling the beans, I may let you know that Prabhu and the rest of us were talking about involving you in the next project from the conceptualisation stage so that the next vehicle is a perfect off-roader with appropriate powertrain, suspension etc. This of course is subject to your having the time.

To the other queries, I can only say this: This vehicle was built with the idea of giving a good looking platform for any future mods. We were hoping that the project would be complete by the HIAS, instead the HIAS was just another beggining. As of now, the vehicle is a fully functional 4X4 running the stock 540 engine, transfer case and gear box. Personally, I would love to see a big petrol engine under that bonnet, others favour a CRDI and the debate rages on. . . . . . .
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 08:35   #19
BHPian

Apart from what Ravs has quoted, there has been other criteria which we have been particular upon all through out the build.

1 : The Vehicle has to last a zillion years. High grade steel ( 16 gauge ) was used for the build. There was literally no compromise on choosing an easier method to reach the final goal. There is literally no plastic, fibre glass or any other material that can crack, break or creak and rattle no matter what the vehicle is put through.... including the dash board which was hand made as well.

2: This is a 540 mod, not a replica. We have never wanted to clone a Rubicon and claim credit on this being the same, in looks as well as performance. Hence the concerted decision to not put in the JEEP Logos and what not.

3:I'd rather call them artisans more than garage mechanics and they we're the inspiration to be able to pull this build off and yet be exclusive. Just the fact that the whole vehicle body came from a flat sheet of metal ... thats been cut , beaten and shaped by hand is to be seen to be believed. I remember watching the grill slits being shaped (which was scrapped and accepted after 3 tries by the way) at the very beginning of this build and knew at that very moment, this vehicle is going to come out looking VERY good quality wise.

4: All of us are NOT 4x4 gurus and shall not use Google Baba to sortout this section. The decision was simple - choose the right canvas, do what we can be sure off ,do it right and then learn the next stages of product development from Fazal Sahib and others.

5: The cost Factor was also an integral part to our whole build process until the stage of having Fazal Sahib test drive the project.We've been apprehensive that a true 4x4 enthusiast would not make his mind up on the cosmetic aspect of the vehicle and we could have potential customers whose priority would be a pimped up ride. Again, lets have the canvas ready to cater to both parties and then decide the future course of the vehicle.This explains the lack of an Engine Swap. If everything was done up, then the base price would have cordoned off many potential buyers, both in terms of requirement and price credentials.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 7th October 2010 at 08:37.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 08:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I would love to see a big petrol engine under that bonnet, others favour a CRDI and the debate rages on. . . . . . .
Ravveendrra,
Thank you and the team for your kind words, you humble me.

I would term it as a sissy, if it would not perform. It did all that I attempted (with my kids on board) that day effortlessly and it handled very well.

Like I told Prabhu, it needs a more muscular engine to make it a 'beast in the beauty'.

It may not have the rugged, boxy looks like Ashley Nair and other members including me feel. But this look is what was in mind at the inception of the project and it has been achieved 100%. Its suave and clean looks, since three days has turned many heads on the streets here and many are still following me, (males w'only) some making inquiries and I just point at the windshield directing them to the number.

As far as the power train is concerned.. I would love to see a petrol under the hood for its smoothness, yet at the same time is a conflict within me ...a diesel for its raw power.

A new generation diesel probably a Toyota or Isuzu with their respective 4WD gearbox is what I would settle for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
how did she fared in the offroad conditions?

has Prabhu modified it keeping in mind that this vehicle will go offroad, or he kept it for on-road only?
Hi Parm,
Long time again?

Off road, she fared beyond my expectations, honestly.

It was not the engine which was at test but the dynamics of this Jeep.

The shortened chassis gave her a very good ramp break over angle at approach and exit as the pics show. Shortened height translated into lower and better center of gravity. Wider stance added to very good off road stability.

Though inside its a 540 but it did much better in all aspects than a stock 540 due to the above reasons.

When we were at the track it was dry and within an hour it started to pour, this way I could drive her in both dry and wet conditions. The pics of the wet part were not taken as the whole family was inside the Jeep due to the sudden downpour and as my wife too was in, also due to failing light, hence no photographs. But the drive continued and I thanked god the wipers were effective.

Be certian, it is an all terrain vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
The Jeep excels in fit anf finish, especially the paint job. But (with due respect and no offence meant), it lacks the raw appeal and masculine nature of a stock 540 or CJ and bears the look of a ponderous thing which is not agile as a jeep should be.

Ashley,

Your point agreed, pllease read the above. Looks are deceptive in this case.

The original wrangler Rubicon has the same looks and more or less the same dimensions, but can out perform our older Jeeps. It is definitely agile.

Mentally, we are fine on the stock 540 with the same engine, On this you are compelled to feel that it needs a more powerful one.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 08:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Apart from what Ravs has quoted...
Arun,
Agree with you on your points before during and after the build. The 16 guage is impressive and the workmanship excellent.
Regards,
Old 7th October 2010, 13:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this Jeep gleaming in the Auto Expo held here in Hyderabad. Most of the spectators were didn't even know its 540 under the hood. I personally liked the way it was done up, quality and craftmanship.

Off all the good things on the jeep Fazal Sir you driving gives it a different look, I felt this jeep is going to some african desert for some real adventures.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Team New MARS!! Awesome job! Prabhu, Ravv, Arun, Suren & the team- you rock!

Fazal bhai- Awesome pictures from Mrs. Fazal, our thanks to her.
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 17:24   #24
BHPian

I do not see a reason to cite this again here on the Forum. My words are still the same as they were, when I saw this at HIAS. I was awestruck for a whole 1.38 minutes after seeing this master piece. Thanks to Suren Anna & Nazim for taking me on a tour of the whole Jeep including showing me what's in, what's it running on and the type of steel used and many more things. I should say "You guys did a commendable job on this". Fazal Saab's inputs are worth the penny and you've taken them at the right stage.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle looks awesome! The pics are real cool too.

I could have easily mistaken this to be one of the off-roaders one gets to see in western countries.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 21:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Some more.
Hyderabad, Rubicon Replica soft offroading.-img_9006.jpg

Hyderabad, Rubicon Replica soft offroading.-img_9007.jpg

Hyderabad, Rubicon Replica soft offroading.-img_8972.jpg

Hyderabad, Rubicon Replica soft offroading.-img_9033.jpg

Hyderabad, Rubicon Replica soft offroading.-img_9047.jpg
Old 7th October 2010, 23:10   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Fazal saab, glad to see that you baptised the jeep.

im sure this concept will give a big boost to the confidence of Prabhu and his team to venture further into new project ( i would like to see some one take on a bolero and convert into a wrangler unlimited). hint hint!

Prabhu has proved that he can accomplish the task of making a vehicle on this scale, with so much fine detailed workmanship.

time for him to take it to the next level.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 23:19   #28
BHPian

This is nicely done, attention to detail is excellent. If the intention was to do the rubicon succeeded quite well, you can transplant this to the US and it will easily pass off.

Mahindra really should do their take on the modern jeep as should Tata, there is a spot in the market 7-9 lakhs that a smallish urban SUV like this can fill.

Given the Thar could launch any time now, and this would appeal to some prospective Thar owners it may work to market this as an after after kit to differentiate the Thar owner from the daily milk run guy.

Of course for others the original jeep is what floats their boat but clearly there is a need for a modern comfortable smaller jeep/SUV that our 2 homegrown companies seem reluctant to tap.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 08:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Fazal saab, glad to see that you baptised the jeep.

im sure this concept will give a big boost to the confidence of Prabhu and his team to venture further into new project ( i would like to see some one take on a bolero and convert into a wrangler unlimited). hint hint!

Prabhu has proved that he can accomplish the task of making a vehicle on this scale, with so much fine detailed workmanship.

time for him to take it to the next level.
Hi Parm,
It was basically what the Jeep could clear in terms of GC articulation etc. The engine is in for a swap which is reliable. So, the engine was not at test here.

The articulation test, I might do today somewhere nearby.

The hint hint is a nice idea.

As for the baptism part, I am not an authority in off-roading like some of our off roaders on T-BHP for that kind of an endorsement.

The next one from Prabhu and team is going to be very modern, particularly the suspension and engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
This is nicely done, attention to detail is excellent. If the intention was to do the rubicon succeeded quite well, you can transplant this to the US and it will easily pass off.

Mahindra really should do their take on the modern jeep as should Tata, there is a spot in the market 7-9 lakhs that a smallish urban SUV like this can fill.

Given the Thar could launch any time now, and this would appeal to some prospective Thar owners it may work to market this as an after after kit to differentiate the Thar owner from the daily milk run guy.

Of course for others the original jeep is what floats their boat but clearly there is a need for a modern comfortable smaller jeep/SUV that our 2 homegrown companies seem reluctant to tap.
Raul,
Thanks for your compliments, very encouraging for Prabhu and the team.

Should the prospective Thar owners want an after market job exactly as this one, it can be done in a month as discussed with Prabhu.
A nice proposition to have a modern machine with complimentary looks.

"what floats their boat
" Thats a nice one.

Regards,
Old 8th October 2010, 10:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

One Q: How many times did the mid can of the exhaust get hit? (see pic 2)
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote