Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th October 2010, 09:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Congratulations,You are lucky... try something like this.
sreejeshmp,
Your last two pics suit the title of this thread, My Jeep Bride...more than the ignition coil.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 14th October 2010 at 09:24.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Ignition coil, i am using one with the resistor also in it. This is from a Maruti 800 and working like a charm so far.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:45   #18
BHPian

Default main jet missing in solex carburetor

A small update is that the vehicle has been mechanically ready except for the discovery that the main jet of the carburetor is missing.

Tried sourcing for the part but along expected lines it is not available here.

Mechanic said that the main jet of a petrol fiat will be a direct fit. Is it so ?

And where can I source the original part from ? I remember having read about a shop selling petrol jeep parts in Mumbai in Jaggu's restoration thread.

Can I use the fiat jet in the meanwhile ?

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
A small update is that the vehicle has been mechanically ready except for the discovery that the main jet of the carburetor is missing.

Tried sourcing for the part but along expected lines it is not available here.

Mechanic said that the main jet of a petrol fiat will be a direct fit. Is it so ?

And where can I source the original part from ? I remember having read about a shop selling petrol jeep parts in Mumbai in Jaggu's restoration thread.

Can I use the fiat jet in the meanwhile ?

Dr. A Ghosh
Good Morning Dr.,
The main jet size is for the Hurricane is 140.
If the fiat has a Solex carburetor you can use the jet, but I doubt Fiat used that size and sourcing the parts is not difficult.
Regards,
Old 21st October 2010, 12:53   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Doc - the main jet size is indeed 140 (Fazal, you are always right!), you can go down to 127.5 which is to be used in this vehicle at high altitude application, but below that the engine will starve. Premier Padmini uses 97.5, 102 and 110 in it's Solex carburettors in it's various avataars, you can use any Padmini jet just to start the engine. Idling circuit will not be affected as main jet size does not matter during idling. With a small jet, when you try to open the throttle, the engine will stall due to starvation. The jet should be available in any parts shop, it will have a blue and white plastic sheet packing and the last one I bought cost me only 13 rupees, so don't get ripped off unnecessarily.

Best of luck, I hope the engine starts and works properly.

I am not getting time, I will post my full observations on the photographs shortly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
the main jet size is indeed 140 (Fazal, you are always right!),
But Sir, I was made aware of this by none other than you, remember?
Old 25th October 2010, 19:14   #22
BHPian

Default Good news - engine started today. How to proceed further?

The mechanic informed me that he could start the engine today.

Last week I could also find the missing part of the carburetor for Rs. 40/- (probably the 140 size jet). Will upload the grab shot of the part.

THANKS to Behram sir and Fazal sir for the detailed help with the missing carb part.

I am planning to service the carb, alternator&the other engine parts next &start working on the body tub.

Should I use paint remover or do sanding? How to proceed next?

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 25th October 2010, 19:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

For such an old body sanding would be better. Maybe the restoration experts can comment better. The solex is an easy carb to service, only thing ensure that parts are not lost while dismantling and cleaning.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 00:44   #24
BHPian

@jaggu: why exactly? even my body working guy advised me against paint remover. he said that the sheet metal gets affected.

Body work is not exactly my priority now. I have been advised by Behram sir to first get the vehicle running on the road and your words of getting the papers on my name.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 26th October 2010, 14:11   #25
BHPian

Default Getting the CJ on road first is the priority.

According to the mech, the following needs to be addressed first:

1) Master cylinder(new or used?)
2) Hose pipes
3) Gear top cover
4) Self is jammed-needs servicing.
5) Alternator needs to be replaced(as it is the old cut out type???) with a direct charging one (shall i buy new or second hand, which model would be best?)
6) Petrol tank needs replacement.

A lot of water came out of the silencer when the vehicle was started first. Engine sound was sweet and there was no smoke.

AG.
Old 27th October 2010, 00:28   #26
BHPian

Hello Dr.Ghosh,

that is an interesting vehicle to restore and that too in original shape and size. The MWB and LWB Mahindras are liked by scrap dealers are they pay more in weight of iron scrap. Not many jeep lovers like to restore them to originality, mainly due to their non classic value.
These were born as basic payloaders and passenger carriers in general.
Their rural transport status earned them a rebate in the tax structure in many States.
The 4X4 fitted ones were liked by estate owners and some Govt. Depts which had outdoor/offroad activities, A small percentage was sold with F134 Hurricane engines by Mahindras in India, but all were 4X4. The diesel versions were mainly on rear wheel drive only(4X2), while 4X4s were also available.
There were some body and chassis differences during the production period.

All said and done I can see you have acquired a clean piece, with mostly everything in line and less abused. Must have been a well kept vehicle in the previous Dept. and having a petrol engine, it must have run fewer miles.

There is no need to post any suggestions on how to prepare before getting the engine started, as you have recd. great inputs from experts on board and in your last post you sounded successful.
Please remember, before turning any old engine petrol or diesel, one must religiously follow two things.
1. Remove the fan belt.
2. Most importantly check the transmission gear oil, as the gears turn with the crankshaft and if dry can be injured.

Have gone through the pages and seen the pictures, but will reply to your questions sometime again, as this is simply a 'good wishes' post.

If you are interested we can discuss about the various models made after 1945 when the first "Civilian Jeep" (CJ) was born at Willys Overland USA.

Please enjoy the restoration and let me know if I can help in any way.
With you always,
yours.......................... UBS
U.B.Singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 19:42   #27
BHPian

Default Attained nirvana yesterday

Dear UBS sir
Your call yesterday and the subsequent interaction over 2 hours was akin to attaining a state of Nirvana.

Thank you very much for your wishes. I will be taking your inputs on diverse topics and will very soon be visiting your Jeep kingdom.

@all: The overhauling of the electrical components are starting shortly.

What things do I have to keep in mind during this stage of restoration ? Are their any things that is better to be changed than overhauled ?

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 27th October 2010, 19:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

My two cents! Jeep gurus, please pardon if anything is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
According to the mech, the following needs to be addressed first:

1) Master cylinder(new or used?) - Am sure you would get good used/reconditioned cylinders for about Rs. 700 - 1000
2) Hose pipes -- New for sure
3) Gear top cover -- This also should be available in the used market.
4) Self is jammed-needs servicing.
5) Alternator needs to be replaced(as it is the old cut out type???) with a direct charging one (shall i buy new or second hand, which model would be best?) -- I was given to understand that it is not easy to procure a new one. Even old one's are hard to come by. But that is in Bangalore. Out there I am sure things would be different.
6) Petrol tank needs replacement. -- Am getting a new petrol tank for my CJ3B from Delhi, by road transport. If you are finding it difficult to procure one locally, do let me know I can share the number of the Delhi guy.

A lot of water came out of the silencer when the vehicle was started first. Engine sound was sweet and there was no smoke. -- Please get the whole thing flushed out using pressure and fill it up with 2 Liters of coolant (The green liquid) and top it up with water. Mine sure threw up a gallon of muddy water when flushed :-)

AG.

Last edited by Shubz : 27th October 2010 at 19:52.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 21:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dr.Ghosh - I am keeping track of your thread but I am not getting time to reply due to work, work and more work. I would mention one thing very clearly, with all due regards, please take it positively.

I believe this is your first restoration (correct me if I am wrong) and therefore, you may not intricately know the myriad / crazy / laidback / chalta hai ways in which garages work in our country. Guys like us (means Fazal, UBS, me and many others) have spent years and years and years and more years trying our damnest to try and coax out good and planned work out of garages but believe you me, it is 99% frustration and 1% nirvana. Whatever you do, 50% of these guys will go to "gelff" and the other 50% make it their life's mission to ensure that you tear your hair out, trying to get any work done from them. In my case, my requirements are so exacting and as a I am a product engineer, finally I have to do the whole thing myself because it takes me more time to explain to them what to do and less time to actually do it. Therefore, please DO NOT JUMP INTO BODY RESTORATION NOW. FIRST, PLEASE GET THE JEEP MOVING ON THE ROAD. PLEASE ENSURE THAT GEARS CHANGE WHEN REQUIRED AND THE THING STOPS WHEN YOU PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL. PLEASE USE IT REGULARLY AT LEAST FOR A MONTH, GET YOUR OWN GUT FEEL ON PERFORMANCE AND THEN ONLY GO AHEAD.

And as I mentioned to you when we talked on the telephone, PLEASE GIVE THE VEHICLE A GOOD BATH (SERVICING).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th October 2010 at 21:08.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 21:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

In all humility, I agree to what Behram sir says. I have spent 2 months sleeping just 4 hours. Rushing to the garage at 10 am every morning (I work US hours) and sit on their necks to get things moving. If I had not done that, I think even today the Jeep would've been sitting in some corner of the garage and the mechanics would have had given me very convincing reasons.

The garages do NOT believe in efficiency. They want the vehicles to be there for as long as possible so that 1) their garages look full. 2) they can extract maximum out of their "customers".

I just went to the garage this morning to get a oil leak in the front differential and transfercase fixed. The first response was "Jeep mein aisa he oil leak hota hai sir". I said NO, Not in every Jeep, for I have seen clean as a whistle under body of Jeeps! Reluctantly he agreed to change the TC oil seal and replace the Front differential gasket. and he needs THREE days for that.

Secondly as Behram sir aptly pointed out, Get the JEEP rolling. Get a feel of it! Get it under your control! and then do the "complete restoration" per se.

"Choti muh badee bat" but am only stating what I went through and going through.

We are all blessed to have personalities like UBS sir, Behram sir and host of others else we would only have been lighter by the wallet and no richer by knowledge either!

Hail the Gurus!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote