Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st November 2010, 12:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good find JeepCaptain.
When my father was working for the government about 12-13 years ago, he used to get chauffeured in this trax SWB occasionally.
We had many long drives and trips in this vehicle. It was very comfortable with some custom made seats and little body roll. The major irritant was the side facing rear seats.
Also IIRC the top speed was around 100 and even the speedometer maxed out at 120.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 13:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Thats a good find JeepCaptain.
When my father was working for the government about 12-13 years ago, he used to get chauffeured in this trax SWB occasionally.
We had many long drives and trips in this vehicle. It was very comfortable with some custom made seats and little body roll. The major irritant was the side facing rear seats.
Also IIRC the top speed was around 100 and even the speedometer maxed out at 120.

speedmiester
, Thanks a lot for those facts and figures. They are more reassuring my thoughts and expectation about this vehicle.

BTW -I have got very comfortable forward facing seats in this and let me see how I can improve on the top speed.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Just wanted to share the German Equivalent of our Trax SWB 4x4 ,The SWB
G Wagen.

Name:  800pxMercedesBenz_300GD.jpeg
Views: 8663
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  2suvgwagen.jpg.jpeg
Views: 6190
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  4armedgwagen.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11436
Size:  44.5 KB

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-flying-g-wagen.jpg.jpeg

Cheers
Shibu

*All pics courtesy to respective copyright owners.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

SirJi,

I am astonished at the vehicles you are acquiring day on day. Good taste and i guess you have a lot of luck in getting these vehicles. One more build to watch out for. BTW whats happening on your Defender.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
SirJi,

I am astonished at the vehicles you are acquiring day on day. Good taste and i guess you have a lot of luck in getting these vehicles. One more build to watch out for. BTW whats happening on your Defender.

Dear Raj,
Thanks for your compliments. Yes I am slowly graduating to bigger better and reliable offroader's now.

Defender is getting ready in few weeks time.
Old 1st November 2010, 22:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

here are some offroading ones.
Name:  scaler35.jpg
Views: 10403
Size:  237.4 KB

Name:  PICT4909_750.jpg
Views: 6566
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  pd1453790.jpg
Views: 6116
Size:  52.4 KB

some pictures here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...-wagen-17.html (The rarest Merc: G-wagen).

BTW first one is a scale RC.

Last edited by jeepster : 1st November 2010 at 22:17.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 23:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ jeepster
thats some crazy articulation.

Lot of inspiration for our Jeep captain.

Its about time we rename him 4x4 captain for the quantity of 4x4 he has acquired.

BTW i had a very bad experience with Trax. We had the very first model of this (old look). The front suspension setup was very badly made. It used to constantly come off with loads.

Last edited by SirAlec : 1st November 2010 at 23:03.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:51   #23
BHPian

Force should bring back the Trax with a better finish as in the pic with modern goodies as options targetting individual customers for personal use
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here are some offroading ones.some pictures here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...-wagen-17.html (The rarest Merc: G-wagen).

BTW first one is a scale RC.
Dear Jeepster, Thanks for the pics. Couldn't belive the first one is a scale model RC for sometime. and I am using your second pic to fabricate a front bumper with winch mouting plate.

And I have read that thread of hanmust's G Wagen from start to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ jeepster
thats some crazy articulation.
Lot of inspiration for our Jeep captain.
Its about time we rename him 4x4 captain for the quantity of 4x4 he has acquired.
BTW i had a very bad experience with Trax. We had the very first model of this (old look). The front suspension setup was very badly made. It used to constantly come off with loads.
Dear Ken, The first pic is a scale model RC. Not real.. Thanks for sharing your experience with Trax. Was that a 4x4 ?
Please don't change my name. I prefer to be Jeep Captain. You know Jeep is the father of all 4x4's. Everything else came after that. Be it Land Rover G Wagen or any other 4x4.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
found this one in my old stash.
Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-dsc02209.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
I am using your second pic to fabricate a front bumper with winch mounting plate.
Shibu ji few more for you. (twin snorkels too )
Name:  PICT0667.jpg
Views: 5605
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  PICT0671.jpg
Views: 5950
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  G_783.jpg
Views: 5594
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  G_624.jpg
Views: 5791
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  GB1.jpg
Views: 5828
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  mercedesgwagenstuckinmud_100179295_l.jpg
Views: 5863
Size:  103.7 KB

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-140351790_ce530d8934_o.jpg
regards,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

OMG! is that a RC model.?

we had 2wd trax. 4x4 was not available then.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #27
BHPian

Let me continue the update...

After I saw the pics by email.I called up the owner and confirmed that I am definitely interested in buying it and I need few days time to send someone to see it and to check the vehicle and he said, thats OK.

Then I called my friend Videesh who was on vacation in Kerala/ Cochin and asked him to check out the vehicle for me and he happily agreed.
Videesh is an automobile engineer and a Jeeper too. So I did not need to explain him anything. Just passed the owners number and the location.
The moment I said its a Trax SWB , He asked me What are you going to do with it? G Wagen??
I couldn't say anything for a moment! Then I asked how do you know? He replied.. I know Jeep Captain.

After few days Videesh went and checked the Vehicle and he said its in good condition except the engine and other things which the owner already mentioned. So I asked him to talk to the owner about how to proceed with the deal and call back.

Videesh called me back in 5 minutes and gave the phone to Mr. Abbas the owner and the first question he asked me ..

Abbas :- Shibu, are you Jeep Captain??
Shibu:- After a few second of pause Err.. Yyes.... why?
Abbas:- Man.. I know you very well through teambhp and I follow all your threads including your latest Defender thread. Why you didnt tell me who you are when you called me before??
Shibu:- well... I didn't know that you follow teambhp.
Abbas:- I do and I was thinking of sending you PM for the last few days to talk to you about getting a Defender 90 for myself.
Shibu:- Thanks a lot Abbas. I will be more that happy to help you with that. But for now, I am talking this vehicle from you.How do we proceed with this deal since I need few weeks to arrange funds and also I will not be able to come to Cochin for another month.
Abbas:- Shibu, just your word of confirmation is more than enough, and I will keep the vehicle for you till you can come down to pick it up. I would love to see you own this vehicle.

I was overwhelmed by that statement from Abbas and I felt so good and I was thanking tbhp to make unknown people of same passion meet and interact. Teambhp rocks and has come to my help once again.

Later on I learned from Abbas that he wanted to restore this vehicle to its full glory and he couldn't do it due to lack of time and other commitments.

So guys let me break the suspense ..He is a tbhpian for many years and he known by his handle VEA. Abbas, I am sure you are reading this. Thanks a lot bro . You were so kind and thanks for giving me a chance to own this wonderful machine.

The story continues.. I planned a trip to Cochin few weeks later, Videesh came to the pick me up from airport and we went to meet Abbas.

We were suppose to go meet pickup the Trax and leave soon. But that meeting went for 3 hours talking about 4x4's and teambhp and my projects and Abbas sharing his experience with this Trax and his other vehicles. By the time we left Abbas's house with the Trax it was close to Midnight.

After saying bye to Videesh and Abbas,Myself and 2 of my friends proceeded to Munnar from Cochin with my 550 and Trax for the GMC Recce # 1

To be continued....
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shibu,

so are we seeing this one in action in Munnar??

i am sure in future you will need some more parking space.

dont hesitate just let me know and i will take care of your defender.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:30   #29
BHPian

Congratulations brother!
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
found this one in my old stash.Shibu ji few more for you. (twin snorkels too )Regards,
Nikhil
Dear Nikhil, Thanks for the amzing pics. Keep searching in your collection and if you find more. Please post it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Congrats Shibu,
so are we seeing this one in action in Munnar??
i am sure in future you will need some more parking space.
dont hesitate just let me know and i will take care of your defender.
Dear Devang , Thank you bro. Yes you will see this in Action in Munnar.
Thanks for your offer, when my parking get full I will definitely send the Defender to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Congratulations brother!
Dear Rahul, Thanks very much indeed for all your help.
Cheers
Shibu