Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 18:57   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
P.s- 57/53 will happen if there is strong customer demand from all quarters of the market.
i am ready to book white MDi with 57/59 track with 4.88:1 & LSD's.
jeepster is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 19:06   #227
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default

Nookla ji, could you please enlighten everybody on launch date, specs & price? After which this thread can also be locked for a quiet burial.

What is MM afraid of, Thar has no competition from any quarters & nothing is coming in near future. It makes sense to maintain secrecy if there's stiff competition & on such a product which is just an upgrade of ~5 decades old vehicle, keeping it under so many layers of wraps appears funny!
AWD is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 19:29   #228
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default

They are afraid of postponement, that is why they are not willing to announce the launch date.
Samurai is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 19:49   #229
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are afraid of postponement
If its really so, then no threads on Thar should be allowed because the views & discussions may add fuel to the postponement fire. This also indicates, MM is not confident of both itself, its Thar team & the final product - THAR.

Most companies come forward & announce a launch date & ~ a good 1-2 months before-hand. I guess here we are dealing/banking on a ultra-slow mover, dhaka-start, Govt-style of functioning MM!

Anyhow, the Thar team must be really pleased with all the free-publicity its managing.
AWD is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:30   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
IronWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Benga-loo-ru
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Why would a company postpone product release due to comments by few in a online community.

Neither is MM going to change any specs just because of our comments.

Does not look like much was taken from the 'what you want in a 4x4 thread' anyway.

Please keep the thread alive as we are getting to atleast understand the rationals behind the decisions. Also 1 'Thar' is a reality and in showrooms.

Can someone please confirm which showroom in Bangalore the MDi is available?
IronWolf is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:40   #231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 821 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Nookla ji, could you please enlighten everybody on launch date, specs & price? After which this thread can also be locked for a quiet burial.

What is MM afraid of, Thar has no competition from any quarters & nothing is coming in near future. It makes sense to maintain secrecy if there's stiff competition & on such a product which is just an upgrade of ~5 decades old vehicle, keeping it under so many layers of wraps appears funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are afraid of postponement, that is why they are not willing to announce the launch date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
If its really so, then no threads on Thar should be allowed because the views & discussions may add fuel to the postponement fire. This also indicates, MM is not confident of both itself, its Thar team & the final product - THAR.

Most companies come forward & announce a launch date & ~ a good 1-2 months before-hand. I guess here we are dealing/banking on a ultra-slow mover, dhaka-start, Govt-style of functioning MM!

Anyhow, the Thar team must be really pleased with all the free-publicity its managing.
Dhhkkaa start ? govt -style ?
Dear M&M if everyone is thinking like this,above ( I am having this feeling too ), then this is not good .this is no good publicity.

& Nookalaji , what ever the track width can be,but I will prefer 'Full floating axles ' ( I have gone through twice , of the semi floating breaking & the wheel coming out ) semi floatings ARE unsafe .

There is much more to say but I will prefer the launch of thar to take place first .

Sudarshan
( your OLD customer , follower ? )
Sudarshan is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:40   #232
BHPian
 
pradipk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 213
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post

Please keep the thread alive as we are getting to atleast understand the rationals behind the decisions. Also 1 'Thar' is a reality and in showrooms.

Can someone please confirm which showroom in Bangalore the MDi is available?
Last friday I visited SKS Auto in Koramangala. They and Sireesh said they "don't have any idea on Thar or any launch of new jeep". Don't know if they really are not aware or intentionally did so.
I went there to TD AND OR buy Bolero.
pradipk is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:42   #233
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Why would a company postpone product release due to comments by few in a online community.Neither is MM going to change any specs just because of our comments.
No idea, just read the quoted text below, it seems customer talk is often taken as research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
It might sound weird but our customer research pointed out that majority of our customers who are outside teambhp still want 51 inch track to negotiate narrow trails!We need to keep our larger interests of customers than one or two who has been raising their voice about specific axle width issues.
P.s- 57/53 will happen if there is strong customer demand from all quarters of the market.
Edit: Samu, that was my speculation on the probable reasons for postponement. I can only attribute this to lack of confidence on team working on the project, product & consumers.

Last edited by AWD : 6th December 2010 at 20:49.
AWD is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:44   #234
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
If its really so, then no threads on Thar should be allowed because the views & discussions may add fuel to the postponement fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Why would a company postpone product release due to comments by few in a online community.
I am not sure how you concluded that the comments in TBHP will cause postponement. Because, that is not what I said.

M&M is probably not confident about launching Thar on a given date in near future for whatever internal reasons. So they don't want to announce a date and then postpone, and look like fools. So they are keeping quiet about the D-day.
Samurai is offline  
Old 6th December 2010, 20:52   #235
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Am quite sure the Mdi will be launched first
Jaggu is offline  
Old 7th December 2010, 09:03   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
beejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Nilgiris
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Many of us were aware of the 540 relaunch with the Di turbo for a long time now. I was hoping many would like it, I personally do. IIRC, I had even spoken to the thread starter when I had seen him for the Ooty Mge.
With regard to it being flagged down as a rural transport. I think it all lies in the color. Grey would surely attract attention. Bling Bling and no one will stop you, even if they do, offer a lift guys. Even if it were to adopted as a rural transport the first thing they would remove would be the doors.
This MDI would be a great package, the Crde even better.
Now we have a brand new offering of the shelf. however I sincerely wish we were able to buy a brand new SWB with a more modern engine.

Last edited by beejay : 7th December 2010 at 09:05. Reason: spell check...
beejay is offline  
Old 7th December 2010, 10:05   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Not the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Arka,
I knew you are not going to leave axle issue.
It might sound weird but our customer research pointed out that majority of our customers who are outside teambhp still want 51 inch track to negotiate narrow trails!! This is the precise reason why Major also came with 51 track and not 57/53 combination though it existed parallely. We need to keep our larger interests of customers than one or two who has been raising their voice about specific axle width issues.

57/53 track axles might be superior according to you, but what makes you think 51 inch track is inferior and will not live up to your needs? We have had countless 2wd/4wd Majors and MM540's (mine included) had 51 inch track and SFRA and proved their durability & reliability. Hence the present THAR MDI owners need not worry on that count.

Plus your view that M&M doesnt give customers the best unless and until there is a legislative need is not true. Some examples include- NG chassis, RCBTSteering system,improved paint finish and rust protection on the vehicles, sequential shift transfer case, factory fitted windshield ventilation, better seats etc etc. All these were not based on legislative needs. Plus remember this is a value product. Every rupee counts to the end customer.

Arka, we believe we would be giving the best possible for the price in case of both THAR Di and CRDe unmatched by any one as a package. This shows we are not here for money making only.

P.s- 57/53 will happen if there is strong customer demand from all quarters of the market.
Hi Vinod,

I knew, you were going to give this Answer.

If 51" OKBJ was the preferred Axle Width, why do most of vehicles still have 57" OKBJ.

The Commander was 51"CKKP & 53"FFRA.

After that only the Major was 51" OKBJ.

Why did the Legend have 57/53? Why does the new army MM5550MDI have 57/53? or the Maxx Series.

How many years ago was the NGCS copied from the JEEP Wrangler YJ Chassis?

When did you deliver it to the customer from the Quadro to the NGCS MM5550 to the Thar MDI, a little over 12 years.

When was the MRCBT developed 1998-2002, it was introduced on the common man's JEEP in 2010

If 51" was superior or adequate 57" wouldn't have been developed.

What was the sample size of the population and how many respondents prefer 51"

And how many of the respondents have used 57"

And those narrow trails you mention, a vehicle 6" wider will not be able to negotiate.

Also between the 51"OKBJ with Disc Brakes & 53"FFRA with Drum Brakes, what is the actual difference in Track.

I will agree to your argument about the larger customer base and their interest, since the Commander had 51"/53FFRA, you didn't think the rural customers would benefit from the FFRA, in the Thar MDI.

What improvement is the Thar MDI over Major? NGCS & MRCBT aside.

Visibly the Body Style, and for that you have forced, sorry cornered the customer to pay 20K more, because the mechanical system is the Same.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Your ex-MM540's SFRA was never reliable, remember the no. of times you have shimmed the Axle Key before a major OTR.
ex670c is offline  
Old 7th December 2010, 10:47   #238
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Arka's posts as usual fly's over my head, i need a coffee to recover! Is there any technical reason why we dont get these wider axles?

FFRA i have heard that might be due to the loss and resulting regulation issues. But why the axles?
Jaggu is offline  
Old 7th December 2010, 10:49   #239
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Last friday I visited SKS Auto in Koramangala. They and Sireesh said they "don't have any idea on Thar or any launch of new jeep". Don't know if they really are not aware or intentionally did so.
Because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I went there to TD AND OR buy Bolero.
A customer in hand is better than two in waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I sincerely wish we were able to buy a brand new SWB with a more modern engine.
AMEN!!!!
cool_dube is offline  
Old 7th December 2010, 11:17   #240
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
What improvement is the Thar MDI over Major? NGCS & MRCBT aside.
How tough it will be to replace the axles with 57" OKBJ and 53" FFRA? Aren't the parts available since they are on other Mahindra vehicles? Any downsides?
Samurai is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Mahindra CL500 MDI? antonjeeper 4x4 Vehicles 22 29th July 2016 14:23
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven! dhanushs 4x4 Vehicles 159 1st September 2015 20:05
2014 Octavia VRS - First Official Pics! EDIT: More pics on Page 4 prithwi-81 The International Automotive Scene 58 30th May 2015 14:27
XD3P or MDI Motor for Mahindra CL / CJ340 mustag 4x4 Technical 58 2nd September 2013 21:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks