Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd December 2010, 08:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default My love story -Willys Jeep

Hellow Jeepers I have a love story to share with you beautiful people, hope you will like it before that I have to say this..I've been a part of this beautiful forum and been stuck to different threads, posts and was learning, understanding apart from enjoying a lot this not only helped me, guided me in building my project but it gave me the confidence, support from the experts I am thankful to all of you for sharing their hardwork, experiences and outcome. I felt it's my duty and apart from that it gives me another chance to learn more.

The story begun 8-10 years ago then I was active in motorcycles and was restoring my 1952 DKW and 1954 BSA. I used to see a senior citizen come to the same garage on his Ford jeep he was a retd. Engineer and was given this jeep when he was associated in construction of the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam though it was just another jeep for me but was different and started attracting my attention for its short and sleek design, unlike the closed, suffocating cars. It (love for jeeps) was sprouting in my heart at some corner of my heart and I went on with my motorcycle love.

I was regularly visiting the auto shows and used to see jeeps out there and was coming across lot of jeeps as Hyderabad has got good ones my love taking shape of obsession and started looking for one but the originality factor and price factor were not happening and was getting disappointed. There were times when I said to myself "Jeep is not my thing, let's forget it" but desire deep in my heart didn't die and I still continued the persuit visiting mechanics, denters and was facing failures as Jeep market is a big buck business in Hyderabad. People spending rags full money to restore wherein I am standing with a pouch.

One day I was going to office where I see a Low bonnet aka Cj2A on the road side, the jeep was old, beaten up kind I stopped immediately and was hesitating to enquire but when I saw a driver getting down to have a smoke I slowly joined him and started enquiring him and to my wonder he said this jeep is for sale as his owner wants to buy a Fiesta 'S', I jumped with joy and took his number and called him but didn't know I will face another disappointment he was quoting 1.6k and not a penny less. I let it go.

6 months later I called the same driver to find out if the jeep is still there and good luck it was there this time owner's expecting 1.4k, I sold my brand new maruti 800 and got the deal struck in my favour, that was the day to remember, I made it..I made it. Being victorious achieving my dream machine I was extremely happy and proud. Drove it with loads of love, passion and care. People started giving a second look though the jeep was old and faded.

This is for now folks, more to follow, please enjoy the before and after pictures and I will give out more and more details, experience of restoring and the love story of my "Willie".
Attached Thumbnails
My love story -Willys Jeep-p310110_16.23.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-p310110_16.24.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0135.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-spm_a0137.jpg  

chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:52   #2
BANNED

Congrats Bala. Your Willie looks Lovelee!

Some engine bay pics please.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice story/writeup.

your jeep looks awesome.

but please remove the nazi sign from back.
Name:  463040d1291344367tmylovestorywillysjeepspm_a0137.jpg
Views: 7288
Size:  24.6 KB
if you want get a Indian swastika.
My love story -Willys Jeep-omandswastikahindusymbolby79_l.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 3rd December 2010 at 10:19.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh what a lovely and neat looking Willys, one of the best i have seen. And hats off to your passion for jeeps, not many people will have the guts to sell a brand new maruti 800 for an old jeep. Congratulations on a job very well done, now carry on with more details.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Bala bhai the Jeep looks awesome. The story of acquisition is very commendable too. You sold your New 800 for your passion. Hats off to you. and as jeepster said please remove the nazi sticker it looks very odd.

Eagerly looking forward to more pictographic representation of the restoration project.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Another Jeep comes up! its a lovely one! Now for specs please? Year of make and pics of the engine bay, chassis, differentials etc.

Congratulations on your new acquisition!!

Also close up pics of the meter console please.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 08:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot to each and everyone of you for liking my project, I am honoured with those words.

Kandisa: I am honoured when you say it's one of the best you have seen but my friend my jeep is not even close to the jeeps which are best atleast in Hyderabad. But thanks for encouragement friend.

Sagar bhai: It doesn't take guts to sell a new maruti for this beauty all what it needs is passion which we all (Team BHP) have in abundance so I am no exception or great yes, it could be a bad idea for a normal person to replace a new maruti to a old jeep but not to jeeper.

I have to confess that it is a bad idea to replace a car used by family (amma, bhabi and new born) to a Jeep, please don't try this at home.
luckily I've got couple of other cars which came handy.

Now coming to the specifics of the Jeep:

This jeep is a 1959 model, 3 speed gear box with 4 wheel drive option. This jeep runs on a Diesel heart Peugot aka MM540 engine, rest and all are stock except of the mods done to make it look like CJ2A from CJ3B.

I was looking for a jeep which should stand out from the crown and yet to be practical, economical to use as my daily drive is around 60-70 kms every day which was another reason to buy this machine. I am not that extreme jeep lover who would like to have it all original, petrol driven etc which is practically not that possible for me and are very expensive and moreover they cannot be used as a daily commuters.

After buying this jeep it started gaining attention where ever I go, people stare at the jeep at signals, parking lot with a smile (who know about it) and ??? (who don't know anything about it). People still believe it that it is still in use by Army and I am considered to be either a Ex-Service men or some big shot (that leaves me with a guilt that I should have served for my country in Army) though I am getting the indirect respect which a servicemen gets thanks to the all mighty Armed forces, we all owe a BIG thank you and a tight salute to them.

This encouraged me to start the restoration project as soon as possible but I wanted to understand the machine (which I feel is the good idea rather repenting later). I knew it was a left hand drive (LHD) with a petrol engine which was later modified to RHD with Diesel engine.

I was happy to know when a experienced denter couldn't believe this was a modified CJ3B to a CJ2A and later discovered this was professionally done up by a expert. I bugun my home work, surfing internet, discussing with other jeepers, visiting garages where jeeps are done. It took me more than 6 months to understand where to begin the work.

Sorry folks there are no pictures to show now but there is ample to come. I am a guy who want to see lot of pictures while restoration and I will not disappoint you all. Thanks for reading this and being with me.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Arre Bala bhai i never said anything regarding "GUTS". It seems you misread the posts and replied the same in my name. The "GUTS" factor was stated by another BHPian. I request you to please read the posts no. 4 & 5 again.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My love story -Willys Jeep

Oops!! sorry Sagar mistake ho gaya! I was just trying to say that I am no big man in selling my Maruti to buy this jeep. Agreed I misread the name and thought it's you .
Old 8th December 2010, 10:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

No need to be sorry Bala bhai just wanted to clear out the doubt. Hope you are enjoying the ride. BTW whats the update on the Fiats duo. Do update the delight thread and post some current pics for our viewing pleasure. Hope you got rubbing and polishing done on the APPU.

Slightly do pass on your parts list of the fiats which you are unable to find. Will definitely try to help you as i have found a good source.

Last edited by samsag12 : 8th December 2010 at 10:18.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default My love story -Willys Jeep

Sorry folks for the delay, thanks to the irreliable internet service which knocks out when needed, this is one of the factors which might lead me to become a BP patient one day.

Once the vehicle is home I started enjoying the drive and here started my sleepless nights, wanted to restore it but there are thousand questions in my mind, should I restore it to orginality? should I continue with the same engine (Peugeot) engine or to go for some other Japenese engine and started consulting mechanics, denters, painters etc.

Restoring a Jeep in Hyderabad is a big buck business and need to have deep pockets to do so hence I was worried but one day luckily I met a friend and he took me to a denter, a young guy 24-25 yrs old he & his brother running the shop, I was not sure of their work as there were no vehicles done up then but with my friends assurance I went on and the whole estimate was very reasonable and I was shocked to hear that.

The work includes denting, new tool box (underneath the drivers seat), first aid box, axe, shovel, front grill, floor, patches here and there and the total cost was 18000/- in total and the work started in a week time. I was happy. Work progressed as per schedule and I was happy that I am gonna have my dream machine as dreamt.

Few pictures before denting:

Coming up Next... a TWIST in the story .
Attached Thumbnails
My love story -Willys Jeep-1.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-2.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-3.jpg  

My love story -Willys Jeep-4.jpg  

Old 9th December 2010, 13:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ahaa So finally the story narration has started. From the pics it seems the garage dealt with all kinds of jeeps jeeps and only jeeps. Well you surely got a reasonable denter to work.
Looking forward to hear the TWIST soon.
Old 10th December 2010, 07:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sagar bhai as it is I am a impatient guy and that too particularly with automobiles due to internet failure I couldn't post details and the worst part is inspite of complaining thrice a day it still continued for 3 days, thanks to HATHWAY's customer centric approach. The addiction of Team BHP proving me fatal when my lovely internet service goes TATA BYE BYE!!
Old 18th December 2010, 23:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

18K just for the tinker/metal work? What about painting? How much estimate for that?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 11:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Paint was the expensive thing to happen on the Jeep, it drilled a deep hole into my pocket for wooping 22 thousands. I had to undergo a lot of frustration, disappointment apart from the delay of 2 months of time wherein the commitment was given to give back the jeep in a month.

Sorry folks I am trying hard to keep this going more and more from my side but due to tight schedule I am finding difficult but promise to add up more to this thread soon but you folks do post you feedback, comments etc etc.