Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 07:29   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
if the Bolero VLX dash can be fitted on the THAR ? Also can the CRDe be fitted with a windscreen tilt lever?
Anirudha,
Yes
Regards,

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th December 2010 at 10:22.
fazalaliadil is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 07:33   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
THAR BS4 should come with Immobilizer.
Why Star why? Bolero BS-IV does not come with an Immobilizer? Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 07:43   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why Star why? Bolero BS-IV does not come with an Immobilizer? Spike
Why not an Immobiliser. Don't tell me its not required. Coz it really is. We have one member Sriku whose Bolero first time was jacked courtesy the lock on the fuel flap.
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 08:12   #94
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Thar is coming with HT tyre ? at least they should give a good set of AT tyre. Any idea of the tire size ? is it 235/70/R16 or 245/70/R16 ? The thar which came to wayanad had 245/70/R16 HT tyre.
sreejeshmp is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 08:26   #95
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I appreciate M&M's efforts to try pull off something similar with the THAR, but I do not appreciate their apparent lack of attention to real detail and quality and I do not appreciate the overall willingness to make compromises - looks like the same old Indian "jugaad/ chalta hai/ ho jaayega bhai, itne to miltein hai na?, aur kya chahiye?" type of mentality at play. (Forgive my vernacular - my Hindi isn't all that great really.)
Arre Shankar, how much do you think it will cost for a fully loaded THAR?!! With a new shell, all latest features, alloys with good tyres will cost the same price of SCORPIO! Or else if those features are really needed, go for Scorpio 4X4!

THAR is finally here and we better not debate again from scratch about "M540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?
COUNSEL is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 08:39   #96
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why not an Immobiliser. Don't tell me its not required. Coz it really is. We have one member Sriku whose Bolero first time was jacked courtesy the lock on the fuel flap.
That is why we did not buy the Bolero 4x4 SLX. And got the VLX instead. Do you really think the immobilizer is effective against thieves. Do you honestly believe thieves do not know how to crack it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Thar is coming with HT tyre ? at least they should give a good set of AT tyre. Any idea of the tire size ? is it 235/70/R16 or 245/70/R16 ? The thar which came to wayanad had 245/70/R16 HT tyre.
Why? The HT tyres are good enough.
Cyrus43 is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 09:08   #97
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why Star why? Bolero BS-IV does not come with an Immobilizer? Spike
Spike, that's the only better anti theft protection a soft top vehicle can have. am not sure about bolero, but i thought all new scorpios comes with immobilizer. for bolero we need to break open the doors first to enter inside but for thar such effort is not required. since thar has crde i thought it comes with the immobilizer by default. all maruti products has it. its mandatory in Europe without which you cannot avail the insurance. India is also following the same isn't? not sure how strict it is here.
star_aqua is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 09:14   #98
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Why? The HT tyres are good enough.
"The HT tyres are good enough" For what ? what will be the basic intention of a customer who loves jeep and want to buy a new generation Jeep for his real life off road use ?
especially if He don't want to burn his tyre unnecessarily.
I am from a village and I have to drive in NH and OR in 3-4 times in a week(For living not for fun) and exactly this is what I am not able to do with my CJ5004WD or with my scorpio or with my Bolero or even not with my Maindra Pik-UP All of them need a compromise.

Please don't tell me to put an NDMS on Thar.

can you please tell me the tire size ?

- Sreejesh

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th December 2010 at 10:22.
sreejeshmp is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 09:34   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That is why we did not buy the Bolero 4x4 SLX. And got the VLX instead. Do you really think the immobilizer is effective against thieves. Do you honestly believe thieves do not know how to crack it?
Immobiliser is a big deterrent to thieves. I don't think Indian thieves have become so sophisticated. Immobiliser or not, a gear lock is definitely a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Thar is coming with HT tyre ? at least they should give a good set of AT tyre. Any idea of the tire size ? is it 235/70/R16 or 245/70/R16 ? The thar which came to wayanad had 245/70/R16 HT tyre.
+1 to AT Tyres
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Why? The HT tyres are good enough.
Sirji, can you please tell me why the XYLO comes with AT tyres and Bolero Campers come with Good Year Wrangler AT's and the THAR with HT
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 09:41   #100
BHPian
 
adsjar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 27
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

my 1.5 cents (it's monday morning after all).

Family ain't a four letter word. Ain't a mall rat either. Loves open air country driving but needs air-conditioned city driving as well. Hates to have kids spill out of the car at corners but does not mind a few bumps and rolls crossing that stream to that birding spot.

It cannot afford mid-market SUVs as a second vehicle. It could care two hoots if the vehicle is called a Thar or if villagers drive it (I never could get that argument. Villagers send their kids to school, so city folks should stop doing that, lest they appear like villagers )

It is discerning and reads Team-BHP avidly. It has waited patiently and mutely. So give it a break
adsjar is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 09:46   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why Star why? Bolero BS-IV does not come with an Immobilizer? Spike
Spike: Flawed logic here! Just because you do not give it in Bolero does not mean it should not be there in the Thar, right. Or are you referring to MileCruncher having got used to living without a immobilizer? (not sure of the variant MC has, though!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Thar is coming with HT tyre ? at least they should give a good set of AT tyre. Any idea of the tire size ? is it 235/70/R16 or 245/70/R16 ? The thar which came to wayanad had 245/70/R16 HT tyre.
... and the Xylo was shipped with AT tires, the last time I checked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Spike, that's the only better anti theft protection a soft top vehicle can have. am not sure about bolero, but i thought all new scorpios comes with immobilizer. for bolero we need to break open the doors first to enter inside but for thar such effort is not required. since thar has crde i thought it comes with the immobilizer by default. all maruti products has it. its mandatory in Europe without which you cannot avail the insurance. India is also following the same isn't? not sure how strict it is here.
The immobilizer is a deterrant. One will not be able to save any car from a determined thief, period. The only arsenal you have, maybe apart from rocket launchers, is the ability to make it look difficult or time consuming that the potential thief loses interest.

Honestly, these are things that differentiate between a local mechanic built-up vehicle and those rolling out of OEM's. If M&M took so much time and money doing R&D to come out with what our road side mechanics where doing, or could have done, do not see a value add.

And, is Thar available in Europe? I thought SA was the other international market. But then, reckon placing it as a "farm" vehicle might not mandate the strict safety or security norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
"The HT tyres are good enough" For what ? what will be the basic intention of a customer who loves jeep and want to buy a new generation Jeep for his real life off road use ?
especially if He don't want to burn his tyre unnecessarily.
I am from a village and I have to drive in NH and OR in 3-4 times in a week(For living not for fun) and exactly this is what I am not able to do with my CJ5004WD or with my scorpio or with my Bolero or even not with my Maindra Pik-UP All of them need a compromise.

Please don't tell me to put an NDMS on Thar.

can you please tell me the tire size ?

- Sreejesh
Promote a vehicle as the off-roader manna and then give them HT tires! I wonder what the person who decided this was thinking. Heck, I wonder what BD was thinking, since I am sure he would have had a say in this.

And this is definitely not something that "would cause delays" passing through Indian statutory body.
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 10:45   #102
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Ok its Monday already Eagerly awaiting the 'disclosure' from Vinod/M&M Team! Please at least let TBHP have the pleasure of receiving the good news first. After all, its been the best marketing tool for you guys so far, and it will be in the future too for sure!!

Guys, talking about the finish/fit of the Thar, its really the same as before. No point expecting it to have changed over the decades. Also the vehicle in the pics was really dirty. What will have really improved I'm sure is the reliability factor. My Scorpio has had a trouble free 6yr run, and I love it to bits. M&M has a superb engine going into the Thar here. I'm only hoping the pricing will let us enthusiasts have enough money left to customize...after all, there are no alloys and AC, and this is the first thing I would want installed post delivery. Not to mention tyres. Apart from mud-bashing on the side, when i drop my son to school, I don't want the other kids to say 'what...your dad just bought a farm implement??'...I want them to say " WOW!! Can your dad take us for a ride in that?!!?"

Also, I'm really curious to know what colours will be made available?! I want one in white!
NIP is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 11:19   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 296
Thanked: 163 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Perfectly put! Those are my requirements for a Thar....

Can do the city driving...work and back, shopping, out to dinner (will require an AC and HT); can take my wife and kid and go off on some trails for a camping weekend, or throw a kayak in the back and drive out to Udipi or Dandeli for a river ride (no AC or HT required).

Already have a Santro and was looking at this vehicle as a ride for me and donate the Santro to my wife.

Oh well...guess that will have to wait! Maybe go back to looking at a Scorpio Getaway or Xenon! The wife will not be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsjar View Post
my 1.5 cents (it's monday morning after all).

Family ain't a four letter word. Ain't a mall rat either. Loves open air country driving but needs air-conditioned city driving as well. Hates to have kids spill out of the car at corners but does not mind a few bumps and rolls crossing that stream to that birding spot.

It cannot afford mid-market SUVs as a second vehicle. It could care two hoots if the vehicle is called a Thar or if villagers drive it (I never could get that argument. Villagers send their kids to school, so city folks should stop doing that, lest they appear like villagers )

It is discerning and reads Team-BHP avidly. It has waited patiently and mutely. So give it a break
manasm is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 11:49   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Sometimes I think it is a minor miracle that India, Mahindra, can produce any automobiles at all given the conditions here. Long suffering India is besieged and beleaguered by mind numbing poverty and corruption. A member search of this site shows that there is only one member from Bihar and one from Chhattisgarh. So I don't get too bent out of shape if the Thar does not have a cup holder or whatever.

It is my fervent hope that we do not use these machines as they do in the West, with a sense of entitlement and self-importance. We don't REALLY need them after all. I hope we use them to explore a natural world that awes us with its balance and splendor. I hope this fosters a sense of stewardship of our world instead of a sense of exploitation. I hope it brings friends and families together. I hope it brings us to the top of a lonely hill to watch the sunset where we continue to be intrigued by the magic and mystery that is our lives. I hope we can get chicks with this thing.
DirtyDan is offline  
Old 13th December 2010, 12:00   #105
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I hope we use them to explore a natural world that awes us with its balance and splendor. I hope this fosters a sense of stewardship of our world instead of a sense of exploitation. I hope it brings friends and families together. I hope it brings us to the top of a lonely hill to watch the sunset where we continue to be intrigued by the magic and mystery that is our lives. I hope we can get chicks with this thing.
And do it all with that cup-holder, AC and Mudzillas
NIP is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which 4x4: 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero Mk2 or 2011 Mahindra Thar CRDe 53BHP 4x4 Vehicles 23 14th March 2015 23:53
Mahindra Thar CRDe - An owner's honest perspective. EDIT : Now returned back!! Janjua Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 125 30th May 2013 17:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks