Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 9th October 2017, 19:39   #226

Default Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

I had almost decided on buying a Thar and then I read this thread. Now Im confused. Im not used to a 4WD vehicle, my cars are a Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Ikon and a Tata Nano. Im from Kerala and I have a lot of places for off-roading a couple of hours away from where I live. Also a few of my school mates have started off-roading regularly on weekends mainly of an MM540. A friend is selling a gypsy, a modified one, should I buy that or should I go for a brand new Thar. I have two daughters, they are going to inherit these
kenneyjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 08:16   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneyjacob View Post
I had almost decided on buying a Thar and then I read this thread. Now Im confused. Im not used to a 4WD vehicle, my cars are a Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Ikon and a Tata Nano. Im from Kerala and I have a lot of places for off-roading a couple of hours away from where I live. Also a few of my school mates have started off-roading regularly on weekends mainly of an MM540. A friend is selling a gypsy, a modified one, should I buy that or should I go for a brand new Thar. I have two daughters, they are going to inherit these
If you are going to use the vehicle only for nearby offroading with friends, I would recommend going for the used gypsy. It
will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain. Fuel bills also wont hurt too much because your offroading trips are only "couple of hours away".
Thar will be better if you want a jeep that can go long distances, the AC, PS and IFS means you will be very comfortable in the cabin. But since you are new to offroading, and in case you damage the IFS, autolocking hubs etc during the offroading, the repair bills are going to be high. For example, a single autolocking hub costs 19k ,excluding labour.
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 15:22   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneyjacob View Post
I had almost decided on buying a Thar and then I read this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
If you are going to use the vehicle only for nearby offroading with friends, I would recommend going for the used gypsy
Kenney - pyrodrive has already provided some good pointers. More food for though available here (Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.). Please feel free to ask more questions.
cool_dube is online now   Reply With Quote