Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 28th May 2011, 18:56   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
One of the down points would be the 51/51'' axles.
what is the axle for the Bolero Invader 4x4???
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 20:31   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Offroading with Thar DI: The Sensible Option

its OKBJ 57" axle for 4x4 version. with rear SFRA.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 08:51   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
but this difference dose not make the Thar mdi better than naya major.

do you see any thing odd??
  1. weight (more than major)
  2. approach angle (less than major)
  3. departure angle (less than major)
  4. engine ??
  5. ground clearance (less than major)
  6. fuel tank capacity
  7. tyre size
only plus points are
  1. 550 body
  2. wide axles
  3. GT520
Hi Jeepster,
I am having a 2010 model 4wd MAJOR with same DI Turbo Engine and a 5speed NGT 520 4wd GB.So theres no difference in Engine or GB in Major or Thar DI..

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st May 2011 at 12:11. Reason: Entire post quote not required. Edited quote for benefit of mobile users.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
[/list]So theres no difference in Engine or GB in Major or Thar DI..
the engine is same that is MDI3200TC but with different tuning for better mileage & to comply newer norms so it became MDI3200TC-L.

the GB of major & thar are same 5+1 speed NGT520 GB with T18 TC.

so the Thar is upgraded V2 of naya major in disguise of 550.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...continued.html (Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued)
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:00   #140
BHPian

Default Re: Dana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Offroad Maniac,

Dana 44 use 2 Different Carriers for the same pumpkin.

This is known as the Carrier Break
1) 3.73 and Below - 3.73:1 to 2.72:1
2) 3.92 and Above - 3.92:1 to 5.89:1

Dana 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To convert a 3.73:1 to 4.88:1 you will have to change the carrier to the Older Mahindra JEEPs Differential Carrier.

Rustys Offroad: Dana 44 Low Ratio Carrier

3.73=41/11
4.88=44/9
5.38=43/8

Typical cost of the conversion.
1) Differential Carriers 2X Rs500-1000
2) Crown & Pinion 2X Rs3000-5000
3) Carrier Bearing 2 X 2 X Rs 500
4) Labour Charges 2 X Rs1000-2000

The Locker/LSD Specification will be for a Dana 44 19 Spline 3.92 and Up Carrier.

Regards,

Arka

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...le-debate.html (The Axle debate)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...a-classic.html (Diff Lock for the Mahindra Classic)
Thanks once again.I have booked a Thar 4wd DI.From what I have gleaned from the discussions on this forum ,the thar has an open differential(Please correct me wherever I am wrong and pardon my ignorance in this field),which always transmits the same amount of torque to each wheel and the amount of torque transmitted is only equal to the amount which will not cause a wheel to slip.(Reference "How stuff works- Differentials).Hence, a Limited slip differential- which is not available on the Thar would have greatly aided it to move on in situations where one of the front tires and one of the back tires are off the ground and also in ground conditions which offer very little traction to one of the tires.This aspect combined with the low axle ratio of 3.73(Have noted your recommendations on increasing it to 4.88) make the DI less potent as an off-roader.Would it be a prudent decision to go for limited slip differentials (assuming ,I am taking it through muddy terrains and slushy climbs) on the Thar and if yes, is the job expensive and complicated on this vehicle.Would greatly appreciate your comments,if the query is not too superfluous to warrant a reply.Thanks.
Ronnie Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
Thanks once again.I have booked a Thar 4wd DI.From what I have gleaned from the discussions on this forum ,the thar has an open differential(Please correct me wherever I am wrong and pardon my ignorance in this field),which always transmits the same amount of torque to each wheel and the amount of torque transmitted is only equal to the amount which will not cause a wheel to slip.(Reference "How stuff works- Differentials).Hence, a Limited slip differential- which is not available on the Thar would have greatly aided it to move on in situations where one of the front tires and one of the back tires are off the ground and also in ground conditions which offer very little traction to one of the tires.This aspect combined with the low axle ratio of 3.73(Have noted your recommendations on increasing it to 4.88) make the DI less potent as an off-roader.Would it be a prudent decision to go for limited slip differentials (assuming ,I am taking it through muddy terrains and slushy climbs) on the Thar and if yes, is the job expensive and complicated on this vehicle.Would greatly appreciate your comments,if the query is not too superfluous to warrant a reply.Thanks.

Hi Ronnie,

A LSD is ca Diff-Carrier conversion. Bacuse the LSD is fitted inside the carrier and the clutch packs are on the Side Gears.

Auburn Gear LSD for Dana 44 19 Spline - Part No. 5420111

I would suggest you fit a Locker for the Rear Axle, better in muddy conditions and don't wear out like the LSD.

Lock Right Dana44 19 Spline - Part No. 2413.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:07   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ronnie,

A LSD is ca Diff-Carrier conversion. Bacuse the LSD is fitted inside the carrier and the clutch packs are on the Side Gears.

Auburn Gear LSD for Dana 44 19 Spline - Part No. 5420111

I would suggest you fit a Locker for the Rear Axle, better in muddy conditions and don't wear out like the LSD.

Lock Right Dana44 19 Spline - Part No. 2413.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks Arka for the advise.Will ask the dealer to fit a locker for the rear axle when the vehicle arrives at the dealership.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:16   #143
BHPian

Arka,sorry to trouble you once again .I looked up the 'Lock-right' locker and the information I got is that "an automatic locker locks both wheels of an axle automatically when torque is applied so that both wheels are providing power. When torque is not being applied such as when the clutch is pressed down, the differential is allowed to unlock, permitting a variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns. The site goes on to say that "automatic lockers tend to create odd handling characteristics on the street as they lock and unlock and take some getting used to as compared with selectable manually operated lockers which provides the benefits of a locking differential and an open differential".Are manually operated lockers available for the Thar Di-just an academic question 'cos I guess that even if it is available it might not be affordable or practical.Thanks once again for replying to my earlier query.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd August 2011 at 20:35. Reason: Removing [Font] tag, avoid copy pasting from external font editor. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
Arka,sorry to trouble you once again .I looked up the 'Lock-right' locker and the information I got is that "an automatic locker locks both wheels of an axle automatically when torque is applied so that both wheels are providing power. When torque is not being applied such as when the clutch is pressed down, the differential is allowed to unlock, permitting a variance in wheel speed while negotiating turns. The site goes on to say that "automatic lockers tend to create odd handling characteristics on the street as they lock and unlock and take some getting used to as compared with selectable manually operated lockers which provides the benefits of a locking differential and an open differential".Are manually operated lockers available for the Thar Di-just an academic question 'cos I guess that even if it is available it might not be affordable or practical.Thanks once again for replying to my earlier query.
Hi Ronnie,

Most M&M Axles commonly available are 19 Spline especially for the Right off-set Rear Diff for T18 T-Case.

This Limits our choice to Dana 44 19 Spline. Nothing selectable available for that option.

How ever if you chose a 30 Spline 1 piece SFRA with Left Off-Set Diff then there are plenty of options.

If you JEEP is doing 15-20% of its mileage, off-road a Auto-Locker is advisable.

There are certain driving peculiarities, with installing a auto-locker, but they can easily be overcome by the driver.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:46   #145
BANNED

Thar MDI is the best option, placed nicely between the build your own ex army 550 and the top of the range Thar CRDe!

i think spending 4.5-5 Lakhs on a factory made vehicle is well worth the money rather than spending on build your own from ex army vehicles.

im certainly going for Thar MDI 4WD.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 08:36   #146
AWD
BANNED

What's the latest updae on A.C. on Di(4x2 & 4x4), anybody got it done? Easy, difficult?

Also the drivers seat has to be customized to seat taller passengers.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:48   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ronnie,

Most M&M Axles commonly available are 19 Spline especially for the Right off-set Rear Diff for T18 T-Case.

This Limits our choice to Dana 44 19 Spline. Nothing selectable available for that option.

How ever if you chose a 30 Spline 1 piece SFRA with Left Off-Set Diff then there are plenty of options.

If you JEEP is doing 15-20% of its mileage, off-road a Auto-Locker is advisable.

There are certain driving peculiarities, with installing a auto-locker, but they can easily be overcome by the driver.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks yet again, Arka for the information and the advise.
Old 6th August 2011, 01:25   #148
nnn
BHPian

The Crde Thar does 80 Kmph @ 1900 RPM with its 4.3 Diff Ratio based on my driving observation. The max Torque 247 NM is between 1800 and 2000 Rpm

The DI thar will do a theoritical 80 Kmph at 1600 Rpm with its 3.7 diff Ratio. The Max Torque at 182 NM is between 1500 and 1800 Rpm. The rim size will make for a slightly higher Rpm which I have not accounted for. The DI should clock 100 Kmph at 2000 Rpm which should be easy highway speed. Overtaking will be messy as it is past maximum Torque at 90 Kmph or so. I guess it will top 120 Kmph given the time with lazy acceleration.

I believe that the DI with its lower RPM should be silent, fuel effecient, but will require frequent gear changes in the city and the hills. With its lower Torque it will not accelerate or climb as well as the Crde, but with the 4x4 and low gear will practically just about get to where the Crde will, obviously not with the same aggressiveness.

But neverthe less should be a good practical vehicle to own.

nnn
nnn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 22:29   #149
BANNED

Thar CRDe Power Steering could be fitted in the Thar MDI??
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 22:38   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Thar CRDe Power Steering could be fitted in the Thar MDI??
Hi Parm,

Do you thinks it is safe to fit an IFS/Rack & Pinion Steering (Thar CRDe( for a Solid Axle Vehicle (Thar MDI)?

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote