Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th January 2011, 09:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)

As I keep on reading about the Thar Crde, I find myself drawn more towards Thar Mdi. From an offroading perspective it seems like a better bet compared to the Crde. Lifestyle vehicle it is NOT. But an AC can surely be fitted.
The new generation Mdi engine is quite good and not so noisy IMHO. A top cruising speed of 100 kmph should be easily achieved.

And the dash is much better!
Offroading with Thar DI: The Sensible Option-lg_dashboard.jpg

I am sure most of you must have gone through the THAR Di brochure on the website. Am just attaching it for reference.
THAR DI BROCHURE 14w X 7h IN.pdf

As regards the wider axles, what if offset alloys are you used for a wider track, instead of changing the axles? Gurus can you shed some light on this? (Arka, Samurai, Tejas, Jaggu)
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
And how much would that cost? Additional 60k?
Is it even easily available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Max 60, 40 should be fine my guess. Availability should be either as parts or as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
..The wide axles... Hmm, those must be available off the shelf, isn't it? From the Bolero camper? May be even FFRA....
As per as the front 57" OKBJ is concerned, it is absolutely available off the shelf from Mahindra along with new tie ends and stuffs. My jeep has been running on it for quite some time now, took around 10 days to arrive at the workshop after ordering. The brand new front set up has cost me around 35k+ IIRC. Cheaper way is to swap from a junk market, though i never do that.
In terms of performance improvement, yes this is LEAGUES ahead compared to the earlier set-up. Need to do something about the rear though as the Mahindra workshop was not very confident of doing the rear FFRA conversion. But even the rear set up should also be available brand new; i happened to have a look at the catalogue and the entire set-up was in the range of 70k approx as per as i remember.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, offroading with 3.73 ratio will be a pain, especially since I am used to 5.38 ratio. Anyway, Dana 44 has gear ratio range from 2.72:1 to 5.89:1, so it could be an easy swap.
Swapping Ratios is straight forward. 5.89 maybe too extreme and will compromise top speed, but no mountain can stop this thing after that . 4.88 with 31 inch tires would be a good compromise option.

Quote:
The wide axles... Hmm, those must be available off the shelf, isn't it? From the Bolero camper? May be even FFRA.
Wide 57" OKBJ axles are available from the 4WD Bolero/Invader/Pick Up.

FFRA Rear 53" inch axles cannot be easily found as the T-18 Transfer case offset to the drivers side and the diff pumpkin at the rear needs to be offset to the same side as well. For the 4x4 Bolero/Pick iup etc, the diff pumpkin is centered as the long wheelbase allows for the rear propshaft to run at an angle from the T-case to the rear diff.

The only option here is to source the Bolero 4WD (Only from XD3P version) with the Borg Warner Transfer case and swap the left and right tubes. The rear pumkin for the Borg Warner T-case vehicles is left offset and when you swap the tubes, you have a wide track 53 FFRA rear axles. Arka and me have done the same.

Wide track gives you the turning radius of a small car allowing you to twist your way out of tight off-road spots, and the OKBJ set up from the pick up is a very sturdy unit. But if you guy ask me, it is not worth spending this kind of money on a new Thar MDI. Just get offset alloys and maybe spacers too and you will close to a 54 inch track. This is more cost effective and you get better wheels than the stock OEM rims. Again 57is better than 51 but not worth spending 50K (new) or 40K used to tinker with a new vehicle.

So guys, if you are buying a Thar MDI, please get good offset alloys and live with the track. Why rip apart a brand new vehicle. When you swap tubes all the welding etc has to be done accurately and not worth the effort to decrease the reliability of a brand new vehicle.

Let me repeat softly PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE AXLES OF A BRAND NEW THAR MDI. Spend half the money on good offset alloys.

For older jeeps I recommend an upgrade as OKBJ is far superior to the close knuckle king pin set up. But since the Thar comes with OKBJ it is not worth spending the money just for a 3 inch wider track.

Quote:
Another advantage of MDI for offroading, the manual steering.
The MRCBT steering is very sturdy set up.

Quote:
Edit: And another, the glove box is lockable....
From an off-roader standpoint, This is the vehicle to have Absolutely no doubt about it. You can beat the living daylights out of this thing and repair it if needed within a reasonable cost.
It doesn't go like stink but your repair bills won't stink either so, I feel it the best option for rough use.

I only wish M&M engineers had the know how to make atleast 75 bhp from a 2.6L DI engine. Even sleepy heads at Force have manged to meke 75 bhp from the 2.6 Liter Gurkha engine. Hopefully with some know-how from sysyong Mahindra engineers can get some more power from this engine..

For those of you who have not seen this vehicle in person, the fit and finish makes the Thar CRDe look like a Rolls Royce, so be prepared to upgrade a few things in the interiors. Seats definitely need to be changed as they are fixed seats with absolutely no adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
The new generation Mdi engine is quite good and not so noisy IMHO. A top cruising speed of 100 kmph should be easily achieved.

And the dash is much better!
Attachment 483102

With the 3.73 ratio you can cruise comfortable at 110. Moving to something shorter wlll give you good cruising speed between 90 to 100.

I am sure most of you must have gone through the THAR Di brochure on the website. Am just attaching it for reference.
Attachment 483105

As regards the wider axles, what if offset alloys are you used for a wider track, instead of changing the axles? Gurus can you shed some light on this? (Arka, Samurai, Tejas, Jaggu)

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th January 2011 at 03:37. Reason: fixed quotes
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 13:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

I separated the last few posts starting with mine into new thread since the topic was turning into customization of Thar DI as an offroader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Swapping Ratios is straight forward. 5.89 maybe too extreme and will compromise top speed, but no mountain can stop this thing after that . 4.88 with 31 inch tires would be a good compromise option.
When you up-size the tyres from 28.4 inch diameter to 31 inch diameter, the effective drive ratio changes from 3.73 to 3.388 right away. Therefore 4.88 will feel like 4.43 ratio, and 5.38 will feel like 4.88 ratio. Therefore, putting 5.38 crown pinion with 31 inch tyres will give you 4.88 ratio effectively. Plus, there is the overdrive (5th gear) to give you highway cruising ability.

Quote:
For older jeeps I recommend an upgrade as OKBJ is far superior to the close knuckle king pin set up. But since the Thar comes with OKBJ it is not worth spending the money just for a 3 inch wider track.
First time I heard of OKBJ long time back, I could only think of Okinawan Karate Budo something. But now I know...

Quote:
For those of you who have not seen this vehicle in person, the fit and finish makes the Thar CRDe look like a Rolls Royce, so be prepared to upgrade a few things in the interiors. Seats definitely need to be changed as they are fixed seats with absolutely no adjustments.
I haven't seen the DI yet, but I have lived with a 1994 model Jeep for nearly 3 years now, so I should be able to cope.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 13:49   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Offroading with Thar DI: The Sensible Option

Is there such a thing as a Thar DI 4x4 at the dealers?
The mahindra thar site does not seem to suggest this variant (atleast on paper/pixels).
The nice dashboard picture is also missing the 4x4 joystick.

Last edited by genesis : 14th January 2011 at 13:52.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 13:54   #21
Team-BHP Support

I had the same query as Genesis. Isn't Thar MDI a 2WD vehicle? Will a Thar 4x4 MDI be produced?
I do not see it in the brochure.
Speaking of the MDI engine, I have seen it in action on Scorpios in Leh. It pulls on the steepest slopes. Low end torque is phenomenal.
For somebody wanting to do ,max 300kms driving to get to an OTR, a MDI does make sense. However if you are keen on 120kmph expressway driving, CRDE it is!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 14:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Edit: And another, the glove box is lockable....
Yes I cannot believe that the MDi scores over the CRDe in this department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
As per as the front 57" OKBJ is concerned, it is absolutely available off the shelf from Mahindra ..... The brand new front set up has cost me around 35k+ IIRC.

..was not very confident of doing the rear FFRA conversion. But even the rear set up should also be available brand new; i happened to have a look at the catalogue and the entire set-up was in the range of 70k approx as per as i remember.
Front 57" OKBJ = 35k? 10k More than many of us imagined
Rear 53" FFRA + parts = 70k .

Kandisa, thanks for sharing. Since you not too sure, can someone please confirm these rates?

Quote:
Wide 57" OKBJ axles are available from the 4WD Bolero/Invader/Pick Up.
Right and sure it would be easy to get the front parts? week to 10 days wait to get from Nasik.

Quote:
Many are used to 5.38 on 30-31" tires. Crawling on a 5.38 without ABC is a wonderful feeling esp when you see others burning clutchs.

Quote:
FFRA Rear 53" inch axles cannot be easily found as the T-18 Transfer case offset to the drivers side and the diff pumpkin ........ the Borg Warner T-case vehicles is left offset and when you swap the tubes, you have a wide track 53 FFRA rear axles. Arka and me have done the same.

Again 57is better than 51 but not worth spending 50K (new) or 40K used to tinker with a new vehicle.

Let me repeat softly PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE AXLES OF A BRAND NEW THAR MDI. Spend half the money on good offset alloys.

Some excellent info here 4x4.
57" is 50k new? someone needs to clarify these rates.
Many of us dont care for the interiors for the MDi. Those who do.. dont waste your time waiting for a V2.

Quote:
I separated the last few posts starting with mine into new thread since the topic was turning into customization of Thar DI as an offroader.

I haven't seen the DI yet, but I have lived with a 1994 model Jeep for nearly 3 years now, so I should be able to cope.
+1 on your last

Thanks for creating this thread. We should get a poll (multiple choice) on what all needs to be done on the MDi to make it a decent offroader and Daily Drive. Choices may overlap.

57" OKBJ Front Axles
53" FFRA
MLD
Rear Auto Lockers
Front LSD
Snorkel
31" Mud Terrain
HT
AC

....etc

Edit: TSk Genesis.. The 4x4 is very much on cards. If not this Thread and other MDi threads are in violation of Team-Bhp rules, by being present in the 4x4 section.

THAR DI BROCHURE.pdf See Brochure. 4x4 Optional. Dealers have the rate card for the 4WD version as well... about 60k more

Again I ask. How does one register this in Bangalore City/Bangalore Rural?

Last edited by IronWolf : 14th January 2011 at 14:21.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 14:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Again I ask. How does one register this in Bangalore City/Bangalore Rural?
Time to get friendly with your rural cousins? I am a villager anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I had the same query as Genesis. Isn't Thar MDI a 2WD vehicle? Will a Thar 4x4 MDI be produced?
I do not see it in the brochure.
See again, I have attached the brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For somebody wanting to do ,max 300kms driving to get to an OTR, a MDI does make sense. However if you are keen on 120kmph expressway driving, CRDE it is!
I need Thar for offroading, not expressway driving.

In other words,

If you need phenomenal offroad performance and acceptable onroad performance, pick Thar DI and customise it.
If you need phenomenal onroad performance and acceptable offroad performance, pick Thar CDRe.

PS: A minor point, the word brochure is spelled correctly for DI, but not for CDRe. It is a SIGN!

DI brochure file: THAR DI BROCHURE 14w X 7h IN.pdf
CDRe brochure file: thar_broucher.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR DI BROCHURE 14w X 7h IN.pdf (1.41 MB, 602 views)

Last edited by Samurai : 14th January 2011 at 14:27.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 14:23   #24
BHPian

I think company fitted PS, AC and Hardtop should be optional, if this is the case, then DI is the one to go for.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
See again, I have attached the brochure.
Noted. I was looking in the space where the clutch/gear specs were given. Just like it is for the CRDE

Quote:
If you need phenomenal offroad performance and acceptable onroad performance, pick Thar DI and customise it.
If you need phenomenal onroad performance and acceptable offroad performance, pick Thar CDRe.
So to the mantra seems to be:

If you want to go off the road get the Thar CRDE (Tanveer/SS_Traveller/Genesis v 1.0 [pre akc, examm])
If you want to go offroad get the Thar DI (Arka, Samurai, Genesis v 2.0 [post akc, examm])

Last edited by genesis : 14th January 2011 at 15:02.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:05   #26
Team-BHP Support

Add me to the list if Gypsy is not available for AKC and Examm (pre and post).
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Offroading with Thar DI: The Sensible Option

Nice thread.

Agree with 4X4Addicts & Samurai's view to save money by going in for offset alloys & good M/T tyres & changing the diff. ratio.
Front & Rear track will be inline.
(I remember someone complaining about log crossing etc with 57/53 track of jeeps. Now no worries)

One more thing that is in favor for DI. The cabin light
Name:  Thar.jpg
Views: 6030
Size:  131.4 KB
+ There is enough room betn Dash & Steering wheel / Wiper stick
+ White colour (IMO atleast Black should also be added)

TBHP Should def. put on an in depth review of Thar Di 4WD.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:21   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

One more thing that is in favor for DI. The cabin light
Attachment 483334...
To be fair to the Thar CRDe, it had cabin lights. However, don't even ask of the quality. You had to hold the switch to keep it 'on'
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 15:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
To be fair to the Thar CRDe, it had cabin lights. However, don't even ask of the quality. You had to hold the switch to keep it 'on'
Oh sorry.
I thought its not there because of that black joint betn rollover bar & the pillar.

Edit: Just saw that pic again. Its mounted externally & does not interfere with the inside of the pillar.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 14th January 2011 at 15:26.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 16:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Really think the DI makes tremendous sense...I think a review by Khan is in order! Khan has to drive the DI Jeep over lo.o.o.ong distances and on OTR and tell us what he feels.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote