Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

View Poll Results: Does your wife/girlfriend/spouse like your 4x4 ( vehicle/hobby)
Yes 57 57.00%
No 25 25.00%
Some how 11 11.00%
not sure 7 7.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th January 2011, 20:56   #1
BANNED

Default What does your better half think of your 4x4?

Dear all, I really don't know where to put this , but let me ask .

Does your wife/ girlfriend/spouse , like your 4x4 (vehicle/hobby )

prompt & true answers please

I tell you about mine , I don't know whether she ( wife ) likes it or not but she surely values it ,so i will take it as she likes it ( for me )

Options

1) Yes

2) No

3) some how

4) not sure

Sudarshan

Dear BHP support please find an appropriate place for this or add some option if you like .

Feel free as your identity is not going to be disclosed in the poll.

Last edited by Sudarshan : 16th January 2011 at 21:03.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 21:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What your partner feels ?

Yes. but definitely not the things that i do, opening things up and trying to fix it.

She feels there are people for it and i am only taking part of their bread and butter. In short 'mechanic ke peth pe laat'!!
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 21:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

My wife is ok as long as her shopping trips arent cancelled for my OTRs as she doesnt like doing her purchasing without my omnipresence!!! LOL!!! She doesnt like vehicles without AC so she's ok to let me suffer. So I chose "Some how" if that meant "Some what"

Last edited by The Wolf : 16th January 2011 at 21:19.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wink Re: What your partner feels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Does your wife/ girlfriend/spouse , like your 4x4 (vehicle/hobby )
As I do not have any of the above (with me right now), I don't know what to say. My GF happens to be my RX100.

Spike

PS- Rajubhai after reading the title of this thread, I somehow mistook it for something else
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:07   #5
BHPian

Not sure. I know for sure that the she will not agree about investments for the hoby.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:10   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
As I do not have any of the above (with me right now), I don't know what to say. My GF happens to be my RX100.

Spike

PS- Rajubhai after reading the title of this thread, I somehow mistook it for something else
Go on Spike , don't be shy, nobody will know what you have voted ( its secret ballot )

But seriously , my wife really supports me , with all those tea & refreshments that I need badly when I work on a car . Now she knows what has kept me alive ( & quarreling )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

NO is the answer!

Reason:
1. Expensive sport.

2. As OTR generally done in forest area, off-roading disturbs the wild life and pollutes the generally Clean part of the Earth.

3. Unnecessary waste of fuel cos of high revvs.

4. Build a vehicle - Go off-roading - start building again! Whatt an utter waste of money! No other better way to enjoy life?

5. Off-roading is generally of one or two days. So many man-hours are wasted!

I/ wife might sound rude and may hurt you off-roaders feelings. But this is TRUTH! :(
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

My wife has attended offroad events. Even did 1000kms in the CJ340 in two days once. But now she wants protection from elements. So she has been bugging me to replace the CJ340 with Gurkha or Thar or anything with HT and AC. My wife has read all the Thar threads.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th January 2011 at 23:39.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Most off roaders I know have 'educated' their wives/GFs about their need for this crazy sport and would have given them a lot of gyaan about how manly this is compared to cruising in a car. So there shouldn't be a problem I guess. Of course there are exceptions and quite a lot of them, would love to hear about those.

P.S. as the saying goes, the harder the men, the harder the women love 'em.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th January 2011 at 22:57.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 23:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

My wife is into it all the way...err.. except when I am on T-BHP 4X4, sometimes more than I should.
My 7 year old daughter just loves Jeeps. My 4 year old son, he lives Jeeps.
What does your better half think of your 4x4?-img_9153.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 07:55   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
NO is the answer!

I/ wife might sound rude and may hurt you off-roaders feelings. But this is TRUTH! :(
Karthik , I like this because its frank & honest & true ( at least for yourself ) & I am not hurt .

But let me explain something , My wife has comes from a very very different background ( her father is a Priest + CA ) ,she is from Gujrat ( where earning money & NOT wasting it on silly things like we do ,is the trend of life ) .

But now she appreciates my efforts more & more .( liking is a different thing that comes from within )

Reasons ( hers )

1)Its NOT expensive for me as I have no other likes ( vices ) to spend on , I don't spend on food,smoke,drinks,clothes,footwear,Movies (stupid) & so on . So I afford this hobby

2) My vehicle is a great learning platform , I Do & Undo things in some fraction of amount of what others do. Its a project for me (like what they do at 3rd/4th year engineering ). My wife now knows this & appreciates ( as she taught Maths to engineering students )& many times I take her help in sorting out things mathematically

So time & money spent IS worth as it EARNS knowledge for me .

Also I don't think majority here (who are well educated & do this with their own hard earned money ) are not doing it unknowingly or without any reason or under some wrong influence.

Now if we look at the pollution issue I think we need to scrap every activity that consumes fossil fuel ,can we do it ?

Sudarshan

P.S. @ Fazal bhai the ' Junior' looks so cute. you are a lucky father

Last edited by Sudarshan : 17th January 2011 at 07:57.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 11:12   #12
AVR
BHPian

Interesting thread!

Well when I first bought the Jeep she loved driving it. With time as more attention (read weekends) were spent fussing over the Jeep it became an issue.

Off-late she has made peace with the Jeep and has even offered to sponsor the Thar. Interestingly Crde and IFS have been the selling points for the Thar as a less noisy engine and a more comfortable ride are the reasons for gifting the Thar if I sell my 540!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 11:12   #13
BHPian

At first my wifey was very against even in travelling in the jeep. she used to comment, that her office colleagues would ask her, "when will you get bail?" something like that, when they see me, dropping her in her office/hospital.
actually she would ask me to drop her in my scooter, better that way, for months.

in dec, whole family went to a family temple visit, and in the village, my wifey tried the jeep for the 1st time. she at once liked the "release the clutch - jeep pulls forward" phenomenon, better than my contessa, which she likes a lot, period.

now, she says people respect her, when she gets down the jeep, and even stares from men, look subdued - bcoz of the jeep. frankly speaking, the last month heavy rains made many roads in my town submerged for 1-2 feet in water. at that times, it was the jeep, which made her come home, without her feet in water, which i think made her to rethink on the jeep attitudes.

actually, as of now, wifey says to sell the contessa, and keep the jeep, that too forever ?!? i find this change of opinion mainly due to the economics in running. she feels jeep is far cheaper than the conti, LOL !!!
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 13:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
P.S. @ Fazal bhai the ' Junior' looks so cute. you are a lucky father
Jeep junior or Fazal junior ?

I guess that real jeep is a scale model of that small one your son has.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 15:31   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Jeep junior or Fazal junior ?
The Fazal junior , just look at the expression on his face ,wonderful. I think these 'people' should have their own T ( toy ) BHP too .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote