Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment > Ask the Gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 18:40   #1

Default Components connected directly to head-unit w/o amp?

Hello all,
I have a problem with my car audio.Need suggestions from you all.

My current ICE for my Matiz is as follows.

Head Unit : Pioneer DEH-4390 UB

Fronts : Infinity Reference 6530 cs

Rears : Polk DB 690 3way ovals(on box)

Amplifier : JBL GT5-S644

Subwoofer: Infinity Reference 12 inch

The problem:

I have connected the amplifier to front component speakers and subwoofer.
While the audio from the components and sub is good,the rear speaker volume is too low and i need to fade the audio to full rear to listen the audio from rear speakers.This takes away the audio from component speakers.

So i am not using the rear polk speakers at all these days.

What is the possible solution to get audio from all four speakers equally with existing set up?

If i power the rear speakers and sub through amplifier,will the front components be able to give clean audio directly from head unit?

Or should i look at splitting the two channel which is powering the sub between rear speakers and sub.Will this result in poor performance of subwoofer?

So my query is if i power the components directly from head unit and power the rear speakers and subwoofers from amplifier,will i get the same audio effect from component speakers?

Pls suggest what to do.
thanks,
Dijeesh.
dijeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th November 2012, 19:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Components connected directly to head-unit w/o amp?

this should not happen. This may happen of the phase of the rear speakers is screwed up. try inverting the phase of the rear speakers
you CAN run the comps off the HU, but its really not neeeded
and ideally you are supposed to listen to the sound from up front, and the rear speakers are there only for the passengers
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 08:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
this should not happen. This may happen of the phase of the rear speakers is screwed up. try inverting the phase of the rear speakers
you CAN run the comps off the HU, but its really not neeeded
and ideally you are supposed to listen to the sound from up front, and the rear speakers are there only for the passengers
Thanks for your reply.

I would try the phasing inversion.

The audio is coming from rear speakers but its very feeble,when i keep the fader to 0 position. infact i am not able to hear anything from rear speakers.

I have to keep the fader to 11 towards rear speakers to listen music from all four speakers.By doing this i feel the components are not able to perform well(compared to keeping fader to 0)

Also one more question,i have installed this ICE as per the suggestion of one car audio dealer.I hope this system is matching to give optimal performance...

Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 10:50   #4
BHPian

I got Illusion Electra components 2 months ago, and have been running them off the HU ever since. I wouldn't say they are performing upto their potential, but they aren't too bad either. I shall be getting an amp for them soon, and will only be really able to tell the difference then, but for now I would say that comps connected directly to an HU should work passably well.

Since you say its a Matiz, I presume that the comps are 4". Any decent after market HU should be able to run them at least at an average level.
swarnava.m is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I got Illusion Electra components 2 months ago, and have been running them off the HU ever since. I wouldn't say they are performing upto their potential, but they aren't too bad either. I shall be getting an amp for them soon, and will only be really able to tell the difference then, but for now I would say that comps connected directly to an HU should work passably well.

Since you say its a Matiz, I presume that the comps are 4". Any decent after market HU should be able to run them at least at an average level.
Thanks for your reply.
The components are of 6.5" size.So are you suggesting to connect the 4 channel amp to rear speakers and subwoofer?

Dijeesh.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:33   #6
BHPian

Yes. It won't hurt to try. In case the results are not better, you can always switch back and look for other options.
swarnava.m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

@dijeesh: It is a simple problem - your system was tuned with HU at low volume. Quite likely the installer would have set gains very high at the amp. Unless the rear speakers have problem (unlikely), you need not change any equipment.

Please ask your installer to re-tune the system. This time:
- Set amp gain to least at amp (both front and sub), and Fader=0 at HU. Play some music from a good CD that you are familiar with- First keep HU volume at a comfortable level for rear seat
- After that increase the Front gain till front seat you can hear more than rear (you should hear rear speakers *only* when you lean back from front seat)
- Then increase Sub gain till you just hear the sub

You can do it yourself if you want - you will only need a small flat screwdriver, and a helper to turn the gain screw while you listen.
DerAlte is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 16:08   #8

Default Re: Components connected directly to head-unit w/o amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@dijeesh: It is a simple problem - your system was tuned with HU at low volume. Quite likely the installer would have set gains very high at the amp. Unless the rear speakers have problem (unlikely), you need not change any equipment.

Please ask your installer to re-tune the system. This time:
- Set amp gain to least at amp (both front and sub), and Fader=0 at HU. Play some music from a good CD that you are familiar with- First keep HU volume at a comfortable level for rear seat
- After that increase the Front gain till front seat you can hear more than rear (you should hear rear speakers *only* when you lean back from front seat)
- Then increase Sub gain till you just hear the sub

You can do it yourself if you want - you will only need a small flat screwdriver, and a helper to turn the gain screw while you listen.
May be the installer tuned it wrongly.As you suggested I will try to do it myself. Thanks for your informative suggestion.
Dijeesh.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:25   #9

Default Re: Components connected directly to head-unit w/o amp?

hi,
It was so simple to adjust.I did it successfully last week end.

Now the overall experience is improved.Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Thanks Team-bhp.

Dijeesh.