Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment > Ask the Gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2008, 19:18   #1
BHPian

Default Blaupunkt Kingston MP 47

Pranam to the Gurus.

Need some expert advice on how good the Blau Kingston MP 47 is and also how much it costs in India. I'm located in Bangalore.

Also, the options I'm considering are:
- Balu MP 47
- Alpine 9884
- Pio top model (forgot the code, the one with motorized face plate)

Please let me know your suggestion.
sonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st June 2008, 19:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Pio- lots of features, VFM if bought grey
Blau - Good A.S.S, sound quality is O.K
Alpine - Best SQ of the bunch , but not so many features for the money you pay

I have an Alpine 9870

Disclaimer-This is a BIG generalization

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st June 2008 at 19:34.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:28   #3
BHPian

I got it around three months back
I got it for 11000/- atfer 10% discount.
Bluapunkt is distributed by bausch in india, and they officialy give this 10% discount.
I like the voice clarity of the HU, only thing is its not that feature rich compared to the price (I can't believe it dont have a pause button). If you want more voice clarity people suggested me to go for Alpine, and if you want more features in the same price bracket gofor pioneer.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I find blau very neutral and nice sounding. rather than going for a low end alpine or pio this might be a better bet actually
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
... I can't believe it dont have a pause button ...
Check the manual - it should. One of the buttons doubles as the pause button. Normally all available features are described in the manual, which unfortunately goes unread most of the times.

In my MP35, the button marked "3" (usually stored program 3) does double duty as the PAUSE function when CD is selected.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I got it around three months back
I got it for 11000/- atfer 10% discount.
Bluapunkt is distributed by bausch in india, and they officialy give this 10% discount.
I like the voice clarity of the HU, only thing is its not that feature rich compared to the price (I can't believe it dont have a pause button). If you want more voice clarity people suggested me to go for Alpine, and if you want more features in the same price bracket gofor pioneer.

Another quick question. The RMS power rating is listed as 18W x4 in the HU manual, but it says 4x45W max. power on the Blau website. Can someone please tell me which one is correct? I'm asking since the Alpine 9884E is listed as having 4x50W power and if the Blau has only 18, then its a no brainer decision.

Also, does anyone know if the 10% discount is still being given? I was quoted Rs.13K for MP 47 in Bangalore.
Old 22nd June 2008, 15:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Should be the same, since the Alpine's CEA2006 rating is given as "4 Ω @14.4V ≤1%THD+N, S/N 80dBA (ref.1W into 4 Ω), 18W x 4".

Depending on the shop or dealer that you are talking to (bigger the better), even a bit more should be possible.
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:06   #8
BHPian

DerAlte: Thanks for the feedback, I got the Blau installed. The Alpine was just 1K more, but I'd have to pay 1-1.5K more for the original USB and Aux cable since they weren't included. In the end, the shop owner (I'm talking about Sound Factor, Walton rd) said the Blau sounded as good as the Alpine (taken with a bit of salt!), and since I'm not getting an amp, I chose to save ~2K.

I got JBL 607C front compos and GT5 6x9 coaxials in the rear, to help the bass.

For other reference, I paid total Rs.23.5K for this - 13K for HU (no discount was offered :-(, 6.5K for compos, and 4K for ovals. The installation, rear plank, front speaker spacers, and aux cable was thrown in.

I need to get one thing clarified though....I didn't see the cross-over being installed, need to verify that it was installed. Is there even a way the tweeters can be connected to woofer cones without the crossover? Sorry for a possibly lame question, but I'm a newb wrt ICE!
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:40   #9
BHPian

@Sonic : Nice setup. I have Blaunpunkt Kingston MP47 installed in my Palio Stile 1.6. I got it for 11.5k here in Pune. Initially he quoted 13k but I bargained and got the discount.

@hrsraghav : This HU does have Pause function. What you have to do is just press the Blue button which you use for switching ON/OFF for 1 second or so(just tap on it)
PankajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(I can't believe it dont have a pause button).
often the play or stop button doubles as a pause button.

[quote=PankajP;876573@hrsraghav : This HU does have Pause function. What you have to do is just press the Blue button which you use for switching ON/OFF for 1 second or so(just tap on it)[/QUOTE]

Isn't the blue button for power? I have not seen the MP47 but I figured the power button would double as a mute not pause. wierd.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
often the play or stop button doubles as a pause button.

Isn't the blue button for power? I have not seen the MP47 but I figured the power button would double as a mute not pause. wierd.
Oops. Sorry Navin, you are right the blue button is for Mute.
PankajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 14:38   #12
BHPian

Default Issues seen on the Blau - need advice!!

All,

Just when I was enjoying my new ICE setup, I noticed a couple of issues with my Blau HU.

1. When I flip-down the HU (as when you need to put in a disc), the HU switches off automatically after 10 seconds in this position. Is this an issue or some kind of weird feature?

2. I heard a quite loud whirrring sound whenever I switch on the HU and also when sliding in or out CDs. I know some noise is normal when inserting a CD, but this is pretty load IMO and dunno why it happens when i switch on the HU!!

Has anyone with a Blau HU noticed these issues? Please advise.

~Nitin
Old 24th June 2008, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Check with member SRShrikanth.I guess he has the same Blau HU
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 16:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
1. When I flip-down the HU (as when you need to put in a disc), the HU switches off automatically after 10 seconds in this position. Is this an issue or some kind of weird feature?
Not an issue, this is how it is supposed to work. This takes care of switching off the HU automatically if the face plate is removed in the running state. The HU cannot figure out you are trying to insert a CD till the CD is inserted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
2. I heard a quite loud whirrring sound whenever I switch on the HU and also when sliding in or out CDs. ...
This doesn't sound right - take it to the Blau A.S.S. guys. Should be something simple, like a piece of paper or plastic lodged inside, against which the motor / gear is brushing.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
This doesn't sound right - take it to the Blau A.S.S. guys. Should be something simple, like a piece of paper or plastic lodged inside, against which the motor / gear is brushing.
Chill the whirring should last about 10 secs. Untill the HU reads the disk or understands that there is no disc in. If the whirring continues you got a problems.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote