Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Old 16th April 2012, 19:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world

Recently Manfrred from Austria wrote in sharing some stunning images of a Tatra 603 in Delhi, apparently a consulate car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-...ml#post2744257

He has been kind enough to share some more breath-taking images of similar cars from around the world.

Quote:
All picts titled with "cuba" or "tropic" are named by my assumption, there the Czechs had diplomatic corps but the places are not confirmed.
The old prints I´ve got years ago in a box, some of them had notices written on the back, others not.
Shure are the locations in Egypt 1959 and Iraq (pictured a Mark 3), also the picts from the Expo 1958 in Brussels.
Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-603_1_cuba_1.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-603_1_cuba_2.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-603_1_cuba_4.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_alexandria1959.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_cuba_5.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_expo_bruessel1958.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_expo_bruessel1958_2.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_pustevny_1968.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_suez_1959.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_tropic_1.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_tropic_2.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_tropic_3.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6031_tropic_5.jpg

Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world-t6033_iraq_1972.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th April 2012 at 18:43.
karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Historic photos of 'diplomatic' Tatras around the world

Wonderful images. Thank you

Please can you provide us with The journeys in India and how did you manage to service the car In India . What was your duration here and also were there any authorised agency / distributors for this make in India.

I look forward to as much information as possible.this must have had a V8 single carb engine.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Recently Manfrred from Austria wrote in sharing some stunning images of a Tatra 603 in Delhi, apparently a consulate car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-...ml#post2744257

He has been kind enough to share some more breath-taking images of similar cars from around the world.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd April 2012 at 16:45. Reason: Fixing quote
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There were, to the best of my knowledge two Tatra's in India, one whose remains lie in South India with most of the engine parts pilfered, and one in Navsari which was missing it engine. When I heard about it and happened to be in the area, I could not find it. So, though several people told me about it, it may now not exist any more.
These cars would have come through the Czech embassy, there were no Tatra dealers in India, and most of the Czech consulates had Skodas or other foreign cars.
In fact the Czech Tatra's seen around the world were probably all official cars, I believe even in their home country very few cars were in private hands. But the Czech took them around proudly, there were a number of Skoda's in Mumbai, the consulate was on Peddar Road. Somehow India never sent Ambassadors to Embassys and Consulates all over the world, and thank God for that.
I believe that Tatra's are sought after, but spares can be an issue which is probably why the car in south India is unlikely to run any time soon.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I believe that Tatra's are sought after, but spares can be an issue which is probably why the car in south India is unlikely to run any time soon.

Cheers harit
I know spares will always be an issue but one is always willing to deal with it, if the car which has so many things missing comes at a reasonable price. Unfortunately with this particular car that is not happening hence she is destined to lie around for a long long time. I seriously had my mind set on her for a long long time, but the economics just dint work out:eek

But back to the thread, beautiful pictures.Even a professional photographer some of them. Maybe I will start identifying all the pics one by one on the weekend.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 06:42   #5
BHPian

nice pics!. If spares are needed, contact me via the forum PM link because a contact here in australia has just bought several tonnes of Tatra parts. (!!) He has two Tatraplan and one 603 V8. i am abot to start on a rebuild of his Tatraplan engines.
Star man is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote