Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Old 5th January 2014, 01:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default The Gallery Brummen, Netherlands - Vintage Car Mecca

Today whilst still in my home country, I drove from our little village near the Hague all the way to east of the Netherlands to see my sister. She lives near a town called Zutphen. About 1.45 hours on the motorway. Easy driving in my Jaguar XJR. All the way there on cruise control 120 - 130 km/h.

Whenever i visit her, I always plan a stop at a nearby village called Brummen. Its a typical small Dutch rural village. Nothing special. With one exception. This village is home to the Gallery:

http://www.thegallerybrummen.nl/en_EN/welkom.html

At first glance, you might think its a museum for classic cars. But it is not. It is a commercial enterprise specializing in vintage cars. Any vintage car. I sort of know the owners. It is a father / son, Nico and Nick Aaldering. More then a decade ago I was very active for the Dutch Alfa Romeo Spider Register. I sat on the board, was member of various committees, chief editor of the magazine etc. In those day, Aaldering was just a workshop that specialized in Italian cars and they imported a lot of spare parts as well, including second hand parts. They sponsored our club and were always ready to help out.

At some point in time Nico Aaldering (Sr) decided he wanted to upgrade his company. He put this huge building up and started buying all sort of classic cars and selling them on. It was probably a huge risk. And at first there were all sorts of problems and they did not have the best of reputation. But things have improved steadily and consistently over the years. The cars on sale are really nice, well maintained and are usually offered at what most would consider a reasonable fair price. I actually bought my Mercedes W123 from Nico and Nick several years ago.

They are open six days a week and the first Sunday of every month. You can just wonder in and have a look at all these amazing cars. It has become quite and attraction. And it really considered a bit of a tourist attraction. It's not to far from the German border, so you will always see various German cars. Today there were also several Belgium visitors. Lots of people come from far to spend some hours looking at all these cars. There is a nice restaurant and also a toy-museum. There is a small entrance fee, Euro 5, for the toy museum, but everything else is free. I love the toy museum. Lots of toy I used to have or alternatively, I should have had, my parents never got them for me. Bit of a trip down memory lane.

The collection is all for sale, so if you visit and come back after a few months you are very likely to find all different cars. I looked around and the cheapest car I could find was a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider at Euro 8500. But there were also several Ferrari's and some other exotic toys priced at well over Euro 200.000,- There was also a pretty unique, absolutely gorgeous Facel, no price mentioned, so it must have been a bundle.

All piccies curtesy of my smart phone. Enjoy

Jeroen
Attached Images

Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 01:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: The Gallery Brummen, Netherlands - Vintage Car Mecca

And here are the remaining piccies:
Attached Images

Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 02:06   #3
BHPian

They are nice people, and I say that because when they were selling a couple of 404 Cabriolets a few years ago, Nick sent me the VINs so I could add the cars to the 404C Registry.
Mike T is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 23:11   #4
BHPian

A very nice and informative post. Thanks Jeroen. This is a good commercial venture that they are running and considering the fact that every time you find new cars and old ones are not there means that the turnover is quite high. But the collection is amazing.

I was wondering that a lot of effort is required to start such a venture. Sourcing of cars to spares and then restoring, nothing seems as simple as it looks.

Fellow BHPians Mike says they are nice which further reflects the humility with which they operate their business
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote