Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Old 16th August 2016, 22:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Skoda Museum - Mladá Boleslav, Czech Republic

Quote:
You had to wait overnight to book Skoda’s whenever quotas were announced. This is a special kit for you to camp outside the booking office
I am 100% Sure Skoda would wish this would be true again, at least in India

Now, even with a full blown adventure package, Skoda isn't selling as much as they would like.

If Skoda had an overnight waiting demand, I am not sure why they couldn't use the same strategy and goodwill in india too. I am sure, if their customer service increases, Skoda would have a far more larger customer base
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 17:09   #17
BHPian

Great walk through into the history of a classic marquee. Pictures are a treasure trove.

Skoda badge has an unmistakable statesman stamp on it, their cars are still timeless classics - even in this 21st century, more naturally classic than the current Rolls-Royce or bentley, because for those Marques the classic design is being thrust upon them for the brand image sake.

Most unfortunately, Skoda could not capitalise on their strength back in India.
adityadeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 21:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

The times they are changing as they say. Until not so lob ago Skoda did not have a very good reputation in Western Europe at all. Cheap, basic, poorly made cars. Buying one tells the rest of the world you are not interested in cars. They have come a long way since
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 21:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The times they are changing as they say. Until not so lob ago Skoda did not have a very good reputation in Western Europe at all. Cheap, basic, poorly made cars. Buying one tells the rest of the world you are not interested in cars. They have come a long way since
Cheap, basic - yes,but I always thought that they were well made compared to Lada's and Polski Fiats of that era. Far from VW etc but best of the Eastern Bloc in terms of finish
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 22:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Cheap, basic - yes,but I always thought that they were well made compared to Lada's and Polski Fiats of that era. Far from VW etc but best of the Eastern Bloc in terms of finish
All the above could be mentioned in the same breath as Skoda. They are all basic, cheap and not particularly well made. When you are at the bottom of the pile it really doesn’t make a difference if you are second or third from the bottom.

In those day there were plenty of European and Japanese car on the Western European auto market. The East bloc manufacturers stood out in a negative way.
Check out the 90’s TopGear episodes on these brands on Youtube! Its hilarious.

If your dad happened to buy one of these that would be worse than serious uncool. You would not be able to show your face at school anymore. You would not be invited to your friends birthday parties. It was really bad

In all fairness, they have come a long way since. Especially of course Skoda makes car that are probably pretty good. You will still find people (e.g. like me) that would rather walk then to get into a Skoda.

To date I dont understand these multi brand strategy. If I buy my company Audi A6 I used find myself in the same showroom with people looking at VW and Skoda’s. At least from a showroom perspective even VW began to understand you have to differentiate. And now Audi is separate, but VW and Skoda are standing next to one another?

I do like this museum because it does show a very interesting heritage of this brand and I was very pleasantly surprised with the Skoda’s I came across at the Nurburgring (see my earlier post)

There is actually nothing wrong with cheap and basic either. Very often there is a market for. I’m in the market for plenty of cheap and basic stuff.

A few years ago, my brother in law in the UK was allowed a new company car, he had several choices, but it came down to a choice between a Skoda and a Mercedes. He had had several company Mercedes. He chose the Skoda. He gave me a long lecture about all the Technical differences between the Skoda and the Mercedes. Which is fine if that sort of rational stuff floats your boat. He just gets his car pleasure from a very different way then I do.

I’m not known for buying my cars based on much rational thought. So I end up with Italian and British rubbish as my brother in law calls it. He thinks I’m just a cheap skate for always buying cheap second hand cars.

I have turned down my current allocated company car because the choice was only boring Audi/Mercedes/BMW. I can chose between the company car or 85% of the lease budget. That is subject to income tax, but with what is left (about 50% of the 85%) I figured I can buy at least 2 really interesting 10-15 year old cars that stand out from the crowd.

So I ride my bicycle to the train station and the train to my office. In the weekend I have a choice of, soon, seven cars. No Skoda in my garage, but I can perfectly understand they make sensible cars for lots of people.

I have been called many names, sensible is not one of them
Enjoy those current Skoda’s!
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote