Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Old 3rd August 2009, 16:03   #16
BHPian

I think the Porsche 356 would be the one for me....It kind of re-defined the category.

@Aditya - I saw one of the E-type Jag at Mathura Road in New Delhi some time back....real beauty in red
Speedophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

For me its the Jaguar E Type, no doubt about it. Its one of the most beautiful cars in the world ever. I'll have mine in racing green please
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 10:40   #18
BHPian

I could be biased due to the sheer number of hours I have put into my MG, but it is one of my favorite cars of that era. Here are some pics of my 1951 TD at the 2009 Mumbai rally next to my cousins '47 TC
Attached Thumbnails
Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-2009-rally-mg-front-view.jpg  

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-2009-rally.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th August 2009 at 17:14. Reason: No need to hot link attachments, they would show up automatically, thanks
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 16:51   #19
BHPian

Thats a most interesting scoop on the left side of your TD's bonnet. Have you supercharged it? Even if you did, I always thought that superchargers where fitted on the right side of the XPAG engine
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 20:35   #20
BHPian

Tonrag,

Good catch! the scoop was an add-on to make room for a weber carb that was too big for the stock bonnet. Although the weber is long gone. the scoop looks great and so I have left it on.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:30   #21
taj
BHPian

Mercedes Gold Wing - One of the most desired models ever made
Attached Images

taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:12   #22
BHPian

Ragtop, I must say that though it is not original, the scoop has been well made and doesn't look bad. However, I'm intrigued that the scoop is on the left side, when the carb would have fitted either on the right or the top of the engine. If the Weber was fitted on the left, there would have been a fairly long intake manifold set up, leading to the right of the engine, with the consequence of a time lag between stepping on the throttle and getting a response.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:27   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Lovely thread. Since we are talking about "desirable" sports cars of the sixties it needn't be limited to what came to India.

My favourite would be the E type
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Is it Gold Wing or a Gull-Wing. Looks fabulous.
Predator - Here's your dream-GULL
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well for me its the E-type,The jaguar XK 140 and the MG Tc.

Is there any Mercedes Gold Wing present in India ?

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 13th August 2009 at 17:35.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 21:10   #26
BHPian

Default Take a look at these gorgeous babies!

The Stingray Racer

Name:  page17_1.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  83.7 KB

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-stingray.jpg

Ferrai 250 GT

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-1956_ferrari_250gt_boano_hr.jpg

Ferrari 250 Testarossa

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-1957_ferrari_250_testa_rossa_hr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-ferrari_250_gt_swb_02_hr.jpg  

rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 23:54   #27
BHPian

Mine has to be a Ferrari 246 Dino. There used to be an ad campaign in the eighties in which Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi drives one. Did any come to India?
Attached Thumbnails
Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-ferraridino20med.jpg  

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-dino_246_gt_02.jpg  

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-05.jpg  

Most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties-1974dino246gtsredfrontst.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 12:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Ragtop, I must say that though it is not original, the scoop has been well made and doesn't look bad. However, I'm intrigued that the scoop is on the left side, when the carb would have fitted either on the right or the top of the engine. If the Weber was fitted on the left, there would have been a fairly long intake manifold set up, leading to the right of the engine, with the consequence of a time lag between stepping on the throttle and getting a response.

You sure know your cars! Well I now have to spill the beans, and while this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, all the gory details have remained with me and the guys who work on my car.

The original engine was swapped out in the 70's since it was all but finished and spares were a huge problem. My dad threw in a highly souped up Ambassador engine with high lift cams, headers etc mated to a herald gearbox which served its purpose. That engine has its intake and exhaust on the left side and thus the cowl on that side. I later upgraded the pistons after a rebore to contessa 1.8 pistons which made the car a hoot to drive but introduced overheating issues and seriously tested the limits of the cars outdated braking capabilities. I have since replaced the engine and gearbox again with that of a 118 NE Nissan engine. Power is down a bit but closer to original and the reliability factor has gone up tremendously.

The car is used as a daily runner and is regularly driven Bombay - Pune with occasional trips to Mahableshwar. Now I would like to do some work on the brakes to make the car safer and more fun.

While I have considered going back to the original setup, I enjoy driving the car on a daily basis way too much to compromise reliability, so for the moment I am sticking with the current configuration and given the ease of parts imports now, I can go back to the original engine anytime.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
While I have considered going back to the original setup, I enjoy driving the car on a daily basis way too much to compromise reliability, so for the moment I am sticking with the current configuration and given the ease of parts imports now, I can go back to the original engine anytime.
Dont bother with putting in the original engine just yet (do you still have it?). There are plenty of concours MGs around, but none would be as much fun as this fellow. She still looks great, nothing out of the ordinary. You could consider giving her ivory or body coloured wheels.

And you cant use any other MG so regularly and have such fun

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th August 2009 at 14:57.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 15:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

While the topic is most desirable roadsters of the swinging sixties, lots of people have been putting in cars that are either not roadsters or not of the sixties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Is it Gold Wing or a Gull-Wing. Looks fabulous.
Predator - Here's your dream-GULL
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Is there any Mercedes Gold Wing present in India ?
Its a gull wing, not a gold wing. For the ignorants, the designers wanted a streamlined design to the body, but the only way they could mould the doors that way was to hinge them at the top. Hence when the doors were opened, they rose up like the wings of a seagull.

@Altohoncho - Yes, my friend. And since I wont be able to afford a real one for love or money, these days I make do with a 1:18 scale model of the Gullwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Mine has to be a Ferrari 246 Dino. There used to be an ad campaign in the eighties in which Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi drives one. Did any come to India?
There was a feature in Autocar India about 5-6 years ago about Ferraris in India. I remember one Dino they profiled there, belonging to some collector who didnt want to be disclosed. Will dig up the old issue if you want.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote