Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 19th November 2016, 23:34   #121
BHPian

Hi Bhpians, I know this is not a used car price check thread but my questions is not entirely for a used car, so here it goes. A few days ago I came across a Mar 2014 manufactured AUG 2014 registered VW Jetta HL Tdi DSG, which has done 34 K on Odo, at one used car dealer in Andheri, Mumbai. Took it out for a TD and haven't been able to sleep properly since. The car was in fabulous condition and the sheer pleasure of DSG + paddle shifts + multilink suspension at rear + crisp handling blew me away totally. The dealer is asking 15.25 L for the car because it has most of the features similar to the outgoing Jetta. I feel 14 L is a fairly decent price and may be can stretch upto 14.5 L. Now, I have been meaning to upgrade from my i20 for almost a year honestly and have been test driving every new logical upgrade car launched in last 8-10 months. Inquisitively enough, I had enquired about the new rapid with a Skoda dealer and Rapid Style TDI DSG is costing 15.65 L on road Mumbai. Yesterday the dealer called me to check if I would be interested in a stock clearence sale for a 2015 Octavia Ambition TDI, the base model that is, for a huge 2.20 L discount, which effectively makes it 19.5 L on road. He is also offering me 2.75 L for my i20, which is by far the highest offered by any dealer. That is bringing my purchase value even down to a in my dreams only figure. Now Rapid is out and the I am considering used Jetta Vs old but unused Octavia. For me manual was always a first choice but DSG has spoilt me a bit and made me rethink (paddle shifters..aah). So is the Octavia a better bet or I should save a few lacs and stick to the Jetta. Phew.. sorry for the never ending post but your valuable inputs will be much appreciated. Thank you!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 17:53   #122
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Buying a New Car vs Used Car

Ok So guys, I have been looking at a few new launches this year and one of those that impressed me has been Hexa. So much so, that I had been contemplating buying this car sometime around 2018 when the initial lot of niggles would have been sorted out.

Thats when I chanced upon the other thread (Not so obvious advantage of buying a used car) that directed me to this thread. I have been so enticed that by this idea now that I am seriously pondering why not I go the used car route and perhaps buy a car next year itself at a budget of half that I though I would spend for the Hexa (ie somehere around 10 Lakhs). Now going for a used car has its own risks, as you can never be 100% sure about the condition of the car. Hence I thought I will set aside a sum 0f 3-4 lakhs from my budget to get the car up to decent condition and as a buffer to take care of any surprises that might spring up.

Which means I am now looking at a used car for around 7 Lakhs.

I currently drive a Punto. This car will stay. The reason being, that I am an anomaly. One among the few who are imensly sattisfied with their Fiats. So Punto will be my primary car and the second car that I purchase will be used mainly for long trips and holidays and that takes us to my requirements.

1. It needs to have good Ground clearance. My Punto with its 185 cm Ground clearence at times scraps bottom on rough roads with a full load of passengers. The next car needs to better this. I should be able to hit the highway with a confidence that I can take most of what the roads (or absence of them) will throw at me. That means Sedans are out of consideration and we are left with Compact SUV's or full size ones.

2. I am not bothered too much with handling. Have a Punto for the fun days. But I have been spoiled by the Punto's ride. Hence the new car needs to ride very well so that I dont miss my Punto there.

3. ABS And Air bags mandatory.

4. Not too much bothered about the fuel. But looking at the tughlakhesque ways rules are made and changed in our country, I am afraid 10 year rule for diesel vehicles may soon be implemented across the country. My Punto is alread 3 years old. And I do not want to get stuck with two unsaleable cars in some years if the 10 year rule for diesel cars become a norm country wide. So that means only Petrol cars now? Would welcome insights here.

5. Car has to be significantly spacious that Punto. So that puts Ecosports and Brezzas out of the picture.

Keeping the above in view what look like the best options for me?

Honda CRV (Low mileage post 2010 ones will be above my budget?), Grand Vitara (do we still have low mileage ones in the market?), Safari and Storme (if I decide on diesel, plus is a used safari a safe bet?)?

What else? Would really appreciate some coments on my above thoughts by the Pros here experienced in buying used cars.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 21:22   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What else? Would really appreciate some coments on my above thoughts by the Pros here experienced in buying used cars.
I think you have done a good job by narrowing down your choice by putting decent constraints. I mean, literally while reading those conditions, I was striking off all the cars from the list. Co-incidentally, I am kinda in the same condition as your's. I am also smitten by the Hexa, but now used car market looks more alluring when you think of spending close to 2 million on a new car. Also, GTO has made cogent arguments about the pros and cons for a used car.

I can't think of anything else other than the Duster, for your conditions. Yeah, you said significantly spacious than Punto, but not sure if you want a 7 seater or 5.

Handles well, has a <2.0 liter diesel/petrol mill(thanks to our capricious govt) - very reliable too and has very good ride quality. Dual Airbags, etc.
You can find a good AWD(Diesel only) and have fun as well on an odd day.

I don't think you'll get a CRV in 7L, that too a post 2010 model unless there is something seriously wrong about the car (for a car which was 20+L on-road). About the Grand Vitara, a car that got discontinued 3+ years ago with less mileage will be rare.

What other car got left-out of contention? Not sure about the Safari since the opinions are highly polarized from the owners and fans. Service records will make things clear for the safari. IMO if the car has no nasty surprises for the past 3-4 years from the service records, then perhaps the safari is capable of doing more 3-4L kms, that's Tata for you.

I think a Duster/Terrano or if you are lucky a Creta(under 7L), are possible options since there are not many petrol SUVs around which can fit in that 7L budget with good reliability. The best part of these options is that they can be a daily driver as well if you think of selling off the Punto in the near future.

I think patience is the key and with a considerable time frame, a person can get the car of his choice in a used car market.
shree_shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 22:45   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post

I can't think of anything else other than the Duster, for your conditions. Yeah, you said significantly spacious than Punto, but not sure if you want a 7 seater or 5.

Handles well, has a <2.0 liter diesel/petrol mill(thanks to our capricious govt) - very reliable too and has very good ride quality. Dual Airbags, etc.
You can find a good AWD(Diesel only) and have fun as well on an odd day.
Thanks.

Yeah Duster is a good option. Problem when I think of diesel, I can't seem to think beyond the Safari. The only other car that can get me beyond my Safari obsession is S Cross 1.6. Not sure if they ve started coming in the market yet. Then ofcourse is the fact that Punto will stay. So why not go for a full size one too.

BTW seen some CRVs for around 7-8 lakhs. Problem is that its a thirsty car and Honda wants to get it serviced every 6k kms or 6 months. Would be mighty heavy on the pocket.

Confusing times indeed. I guess I will give Duster/Terrano a thought too.
Old 1st January 2017, 23:55   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks.

Yeah Duster is a good option. Problem when I think of diesel, I can't seem to think beyond the Safari. The only other car that can get me beyond my Safari obsession is S Cross 1.6.

Confusing times indeed. I guess I will give Duster/Terrano a thought too.
C'mon, you just contradicted yourself. You are not looking for a diesel by speculating a probable ban, which is possible, on that later. And then you are fond of a safari with 2.0Lt + engine. It seems like you are a safari fan.

If you are going for a diesel, then there are many options. Right from an amazing Duster AWD to Innova and everything in between is awesome as well.

Secondly, the 3-4 L buffer you've kept as a security is a lot of money. If you do good research and get a reliable car from Toyota, Maruti or Renault then I think you can reduce that buffer to half, and look for a 9L car straightaway. What I mean is don't keep the 7L a ridgid upper bound. If the car is immaculate, then you can go for a 9.5L car, at that price you can find a great car.

About the diesel ban, nothing is for sure. Pune is a part of smart city programme. Also, it is nearing to a Tier-1 city. Pollution is a major problem as well. So if there is a ban based on categorizing cities on this basis, Pune will face the axe.
Now if the govt bans diesel vehicles altogether, for Cars older than 10years, and implement it successfully, they have to give a, say a buffer period. After which the ban might start. If they don't do it without a buffer period of 1/2/3 years to implement the ban, it will fail because many used car dealers/owners of such cars will have useless sitting ducks.

Conclusion: 10 yr old cars' diesel ban is bit unlikely in some 2-3 years. I think there will be stringent PUC amends, which is actually a realistic norm to check how much a car guzzles. However, ban on sale of new cars with 2.0L and more is more likely since it's an easy way to implement, although the logic is insane.
Govt will take a path of least resistance(from citizens) and more easy measure since it will be a first of a kind ban from NGT(if successful).
There will also be a possibility of an annual pollution tax from such vehicles, if not a ban.

If I want to buy a pre-owned car today, I won't hesitate buying any car which is less than 4-5 years old with a 2.0+ liter engine. In fact I'll bargain for a sweet deal based on premise of the uncertainty of a ban. After getting a good deal, I will use it for more 4-5 years and sell it off. In extremely worst case scenario, big 10+ yrs old cars will have market in Tier-2/3 cities and rural areas since the ban shouldn't create acres of scrapyards in every city.
shree_shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:11   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
Now if the govt bans diesel vehicles altogether, for Cars older than 10years, and implement it successfully, they have to give a, say a buffer period. After which the ban might start. If they don't do it without a buffer period of 1/2/3 years to implement the ban, it will fail because many used car dealers/owners of such cars will have useless sitting ducks.
Actually the ban is already there in NCR and no buffer period has been given.

Which Maruti other than a S Cross and Grand Vitara is an option?
Innova? Naaa.

Actually not just the Safari, I am a big fan of S cross in 1.6 litre guise. But I really doubt if they can be seen in the used car space yet.

As I see it the only options even considering diesels are Safari and Duster. Though I am not sure if Duster is spacious enough for my liking. I had checked it out before test driving S Cross 1.6 last year and I remember not being impressed by the rear bench space.

What other options? A Pajero maybe after increasing the budget a little bit?