Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 15th March 2016, 14:31   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
My dilemma is which one should I take. Somebody please advice about the different BSI and BRI packages.
I am planning to take the zero dep policy.
I am planning BSI package of 3yrs/ 40000 kms which costs around Rs 1.05 lacs.
I am confused between 5 and 6 yr BRI package
5yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.1 lacs
6 yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.78 lacs
Which one to go for?
6 years for sure.
You will tend to keep such a car for 5-6 years. the Extra peace of mind for 60K is well worth it. 5K a month!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 11:24   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

We have a few cases in the forum where owners have had issues with extended warranty claim because of slightly overshooting the scheduled service intervals. Some cases have been noted below, and are not particularly brand specific in nature-

IMO, this exposes the major issue with extended warranty programs- they are nothing but insurance policies offered by a tie up between the manufacturer and the insurance company to ideally benefit all three parties involved including the customer. But the quality of service rendered during extended warranty claims are only as good as the insurance company providing the extended warranty.

It would be extremely useful in the long run to have all paperwork in order and keep an extremely vigilant eye on the service schedules specified by the manufacturer. The service schedules are both time bound and also depends on the usage. Some manufacturers also have strict intervals between services that needs to be adhered as well, which might otherwise void extended warranty inspite of getting all service done as scheduled.

One or the other might not make sense in your particular case due to various factors like low usage etc, but these could adversely affect your extended warranty claim in the long run.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote