Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 06:48   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
mithun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
NCB earned abroad can be given in India
Can someone please describe how it's possible & the process ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 11:06   #107
BHPian
 
deetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 222
Thanked: 85 Times
Default purchased used car, should i pay ncb difference?

I purchased a used car with comprehensive insurance (45%NCB). I got the vehicle transfered to my name. Now when i approached the Insurance company, they are asking me to pay the NCB amount to get the policy transfered- is it ok or are they playing tricks on me? Well, seems like previous owner is ignorant of NCB benefits, if i have to pay the NCB difference , then i will ask him to get NCB certificate so that atleast he will benefit from it.
deetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 15:33   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,150
Thanked: 65,330 Times
Default

deetee, as has already been written in this thread, the new owner does NOT get any NCB benefits from the old insurance policy. If you have an NCB from an existing / previous car that was insured to your name, only then may you claim NCB benefits.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 16:57   #109
BHPian
 
deetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 222
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

GTO, i have earlier read the article and other related threads but the situation am facing is bit different.
I knew i can't avail NCB of previous owner, but if i have to transfer the policy onto my name, is it must that i have to pay the NCB discounted? That , i think , is not fair.
Consider my case: The current insurance policy(with Bajaj allianz) is valid till 31 Jul '08 . That is a good 6 more months to go. Now with about 45% NCB the policy premium amounted to something like 2000.That means the actual policy could have been around 3.5-4k then ,without NCB. Now, for the sake of transferring the policy to my name, if i had to pay the full ncb discounted (that is 1.5-2K) for validity of just 6 months, then i think i can better get the policy canceled and go for a new one @ something like 3k for another 12 months period. Also, when i enquired, the insurance guys said that at the time of next renewal(read 1 august 08) i cannot avail 20% ncb on the current policy because i had held it for 6 months only,though the policy itself will have no-claim for one year.
Instead of all this mess up, i thought i would better ask the previous owner to cancel the policy ,get the refund and NCB certificate(he don't know of its value). I will then go for a fresh policy.
Another feasibility is , i will pay up whatever amount they ask,after getting policy transferred i will ask them to cancel it ; get the pro-rated refund and then will go for a new policy.
The second approach seems better but i have to make sure if it is practical.
deetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 18:07   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,150
Thanked: 65,330 Times
Default

Quote:
I knew i can't avail NCB of previous owner, but if i have to transfer the policy onto my name, is it must that i have to pay the NCB discounted? That , i think , is not fair.
Well, the previous owner has earned his NCB because of a claim-free history. Logically, that benefit should not be extended to you.

Yup, you will have to pay for the NCB difference.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 18:42   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Folks,

I sold my car last year and bought Swift Diesel with Maruti insurance. I didn't think of transferring my NCB from my old car hence I do not have a proof/certificate of NCB. My questions -

1. Can I get the certificate from the insurance company?
2. Will this certificate be useful when I renew my new car insurance?

Best regards.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 18:24   #112
BHPian
 
GTO - Touring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

I sold my car last year and bought Swift Diesel with Maruti insurance. I didn't think of transferring my NCB from my old car hence I do not have a proof/certificate of NCB. My questions -

1. Can I get the certificate from the insurance company?
2. Will this certificate be useful when I renew my new car insurance?

Best regards.
Yes to both. Just approach your old insurance company for the certificate, which can be forwarded to your new company for a reduction in premiums.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 10:52   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,262
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
GTO, i have earlier read the article and other related threads but the situation am facing is bit different.
I knew i can't avail NCB of previous owner, but if i have to transfer the policy onto my name, is it must that i have to pay the NCB discounted? That , i think , is not fair.
Consider my case: The current insurance policy(with Bajaj allianz) is valid till 31 Jul '08 . That is a good 6 more months to go. Now with about 45% NCB the policy premium amounted to something like 2000.That means the actual policy could have been around 3.5-4k then ,without NCB. Now, for the sake of transferring the policy to my name, if i had to pay the full ncb discounted (that is 1.5-2K) for validity of just 6 months, then i think i can better get the policy canceled and go for a new one @ something like 3k for another 12 months period. Also, when i enquired, the insurance guys said that at the time of next renewal(read 1 august 08) i cannot avail 20% ncb on the current policy because i had held it for 6 months only,though the policy itself will have no-claim for one year.
Instead of all this mess up, i thought i would better ask the previous owner to cancel the policy ,get the refund and NCB certificate(he don't know of its value). I will then go for a fresh policy.
Another feasibility is , i will pay up whatever amount they ask,after getting policy transferred i will ask them to cancel it ; get the pro-rated refund and then will go for a new policy.
The second approach seems better but i have to make sure if it is practical.

Please update this thread once you have the details.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 18:39   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,337
Thanked: 875 Times
Arrow Ncb

Regarding NCB, i think many vehicle owners dont know/care to know about its value/importance.
Most people when they sell their car give their COMPREHENSIVE INSURANCE POLICY also(!!!!) thinking that it is of no use to them and the prospective buyer will be suspicious of the vehicle if it is also not given.
Many a time I have asked my friends not to part with the old policy when they take new cars but in most ocassions my words have fallen on deaf ears!!
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 19:55   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Spot on, GTO - Touring.

I actually got a refund cheque from my insurer (National Insurance) when I presented them with my 50% NCB proof 1 month AFTER I bought my new car. In fact, I did not even have to provide any documentary proof: NI Bangalore simply called up NI Kolkata (geographically distinct regions cannot access each other's policies) and confirmed that I had never claimed in 7 years and that my NCB was indeed 50%.

They refunded me 11K .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Yes to both. Just approach your old insurance company for the certificate, which can be forwarded to your new company for a reduction in premiums.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 23:49   #116
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
__________________________________________________ ____________

What they mean by class is "Private vehicle to Private vehicle". Hence you can transfer you Indica NCB to Safari.
ps: Post edited
can you plz confirm if NCB can be transferred across cars of different capacities ? i had a maruti on which i had accumulated NCB of 45% and was planning to go for an i10.But when i spoke to Bajaj Allianz guys regarding this ,they said the 45% discount can be availed only if the new car is of same class " they mean same cc " hence an i10 since is of more engine capacity than a M800, cant get full bonus,but instead get a very measley 2K as bonus.They say the rules regarding this have changed recently .is this true ?
katapult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 12:39   #117
BHPian
 
TrueDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 273
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Shouldn't class of automobile mean LMV here or was it the hatch, sedan and stuff ?
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:20   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,150
Thanked: 65,330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katapult View Post
They say the rules regarding this have changed recently .is this true ?
Not to the best of my knowledge. I suggest you approach some other insurance companies to see if they are willing to grant you full NCB.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 11:44   #119
BHPian
 
jack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: kochi
Posts: 128
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi ajmat,,
Is there NCB for 3rd party Insurance.If it is there can we transfer that to the new car with insurance and avail the benefits????
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 16:54   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,382
Thanked: 812 Times
Default

I need some help in understanding my car insurance...

My insurance certificate for Laura L&K MT by ICICI Lombard mentions these figures:

IDV: 15,31,000
Own damage: 44,767
3rd party: 2,500
Accident cover,etc.: 125
Tax: 5,858

Total: 53,250

Is this a reasonable amount for a new Laura L&K?

The reason I got a doubt is because I called up ICICI for renewal and they are telling me that the renewal premium is just 26K-ish!! When I asked why is it so low, he tells me it is because I have not made any claims. How can it be so low just after 10 months of first policy? Is there a lot of scope for bargain when getting insurance for a new car?

My other question: Do NCB discounts add up? I will soon be getting an NCB certificate from TATA-AIG for 35%. Assuming ICICI gives me 20% discount on Laura at the end of one year, can I use AIG NCB letter to increase the discount offered by ICICI (20% + 35%)?

Thanks in advance.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance claim? Pay a little extra and retain your No-Claim Bonus! parrys Indian Car Loans & Insurance 9 1st May 2016 22:39
Insurance premiums vs claims - Would 'Self Insurance' be cheaper for you? GTO Indian Car Loans & Insurance 46 28th February 2016 15:38
Car Insurance - Possible NCB (No Claim Bonus) Loophole? koshyjohnuk Indian Car Loans & Insurance 57 7th January 2015 19:26
Insurance and No Claim Bonus vennarbank Indian Car Loans & Insurance 9 18th September 2006 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks