Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 12:56   #226
lsp
BHPian
 
lsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 378
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

The original RC of the prev owner would be needed for transferring in your name. I think an agent should get you a new RC in a week or so. You would be driving the car with the sale document of the car. That's how I've been told it would be and done it twice before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
After buying a used car, the RC needs to be changed in my name. So I will be driving the car with a copy of previous owners RC. How long is it valid?
Demo car means the car they use to give test rides to prospective customers. You never know how many people have driven it earlier and in what way. Almost everyone rips the car in test drive. If I were you I would stay away from the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
As per Apra this was a demo car
That may be if he has only got pre 2005 stock. Go for a newer model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
One of the dealer told me not to go for 'Xing' model as it has some problems but to go for pre 2005 Santro.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:58   #227
Newbie
 
NirmalK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 11
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

i am planning to buy a used car for my dad. While scouting i came across this very interesting deal with a second hand car dealer. its a Hyundai i10, date of manufacture is Dec 2007. i checked with the local Hyundai dealer about its history and was told that its been regularly serviced till Jan 2011 and no accident so far. the car has 37000 on its odo. price quoted is 2.5L. i have a feeling that this price is too good to be true as other dealers are quoting higher price for the same model cars.
Guys i need your valuable comments and suggestions on this deal.
NirmalK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:10   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gurgaon/MBD
Posts: 174
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post
i am planning to buy a used car for my dad. While scouting i came across this very interesting deal with a second hand car dealer. its a Hyundai i10, date of manufacture is Dec 2007. i checked with the local Hyundai dealer about its history and was told that its been regularly serviced till Jan 2011 and no accident so far. the car has 37000 on its odo. price quoted is 2.5L. i have a feeling that this price is too good to be true as other dealers are quoting higher price for the same model cars.
Guys i need your valuable comments and suggestions on this deal.
NirmalK,

I hope you've seen the vehicle in person. How would you rate it Good, Bad or Average. If the vehicle is good, I would suggest you to negotiate hard and bring him down close to 2.2-2.25 !!

I know its an i10, not much on the odo too, but please consider its already a 4.5 yr old. A price in the range I have written above would be a fair price.

However, if the vehicle is kept dearly, I think the price asked is a modest one and you could only negotiate for just a lil bit.


OT : errr, I gave you a 'thanks' by mistake while I was trying to 'Quote' your post.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:44   #229
BHPian
 
misquitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Panjim
Posts: 857
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post
i am planning to buy a used car for my dad. While scouting i came across this very interesting deal with a second hand car dealer. its a Hyundai i10, date of manufacture is Dec 2007. i checked with the local Hyundai dealer about its history and was told that its been regularly serviced till Jan 2011 and no accident so far. the car has 37000 on its odo. price quoted is 2.5L. i have a feeling that this price is too good to be true as other dealers are quoting higher price for the same model cars.
Guys i need your valuable comments and suggestions on this deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
NirmalK,

I hope you've seen the vehicle in person. How would you rate it Good, Bad or Average. If the vehicle is good, I would suggest you to negotiate hard and bring him down close to 2.2-2.25 !!

I know its an i10, not much on the odo too, but please consider its already a 4.5 yr old. A price in the range I have written above would be a fair price.

However, if the vehicle is kept dearly, I think the price asked is a modest one and you could only negotiate for just a lil bit.
Rates for used i10 cars in Hyderabad seem to vary quite a bit from those here in Goa.

A few months ago, I casually asked a user car dealer the expected resale value of my December 2010 1.2 Kappa2 i10 Magna, which had done barely 16000 kms at the time. His reply: "You should not expect more than Rs 2.75 lakh."

Just to cross-check his estimate, I verified the resale value with a friend who works with a Hyundai dealer in Goa.

"At best, you can expect Rs 3 lakh for your i10. But sir, please don't sell off your i10 as it is in perfect condition without any mishap, is barely used and has a 4-year warranty (I had done a 2-year extended warranty). Moreover, you will take a big hit on resale value," was his frank advice.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:56   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gurgaon/MBD
Posts: 174
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Rates for used i10 cars in Hyderabad seem to vary quite a bit from those here in Goa.

A few months ago, I casually asked a user car dealer the expected resale value of my December 2010 1.2 Kappa2 i10 Magna, which had done barely 16000 kms at the time. His reply: "You should not expect more than Rs 2.75 lakh."

Just to cross-check his estimate, I verified the resale value with a friend who works with a Hyundai dealer in Goa.

"At best, you can expect Rs 3 lakh for your i10. But sir, please don't sell off your i10 as it is in perfect condition without any mishap, is barely used and has a 4-year warranty (I had done a 2-year extended warranty). Moreover, you will take a big hit on resale value," was his frank advice.
Misquitas, I guess yours would've been a top end version, in a very good condition

I am not much qualified to give the exact value. When I quote the above, I keep myself in place of a probable buyer for a 4.5 - 5 yr old i10. Please consider, low number on the odo is not good all the time.
Again, the guy at the Hyundai dealer quoted - 'At Best you can expect 3 Lakhs'. Thsi doesn't mean you'll get 3L for sure.

My point basically is, this range - 2.5 - 4.5 L has a lot of options open in the used car market and hence a lot of competition. I agree that i10, Swift etc are the bestsellers in the market right now, but its just my opinion as a probable buyer for a used car.

And yes, you're correct, it all differs from terrain to terrain also !! In Delhi, if you go out for a used car market, you'll reject 80% of them at the first look as they would've taken too much abuse, while if you go to Chandigarh - you'll love them all !! In my opinion, Chandigarh is the best place to buy a used car - Absolutely Clean rides.

@Nirmal : Did you see the car in person ? Model, condition of interior and exterior ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:37   #231
BHPian
 
VANOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 52
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

hi guys,
I know this is highly irregular may be even irrelevant to this topic, but i'm in love with the Ford cortina Mk3. Why? cos my dad owned one (if you require pics please request) when i was a kid and the thrill of sitting in that car when my dad was practicing for special stages in a rally,When he would drift it to enter our street down a sandy road. The power of the 1.6, twin side drought webber carburetors. that started my passion for cars. which is still going strong. also please note i still love carbs more than FI because you can fiddle with it. from this you can also guess i'm a DIY kind of person. Now I'm on a look out for a cortina MK3, 2 or 4 Door, failing which a Capri should do. I would like the gurus to tell me what to look out for and what i can bypass. chassis corrosion apart. i can find a few 1.3's but no 1.6's or 2.0's any idea where i can find them?. I'm even willing to contact cosworth to supply an engine to replace a 1.3. any and all help will be welcome.

Mods: Please feel free to move this to an alternate thread if you desire.

Last edited by VANOS : 3rd June 2012 at 17:40.
VANOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 10:52   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi All,

I need help on buying a used car from another state.
I have shortlisted a car with DL registration and will be using it in Hyderabad.

What is the procedure to buy the car and then register it in Hyderabad?
Do I need to complete the sale first and then apply for registering it in Hyderabad?

Would really appreciate anyone providing detailed steps needed for the above so that I may complete the formalities ASAP.
abhinavj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 13:06   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gurgaon/MBD
Posts: 174
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
Hi All,

I need help on buying a used car from another state.
I have shortlisted a car with DL registration and will be using it in Hyderabad.

What is the procedure to buy the car and then register it in Hyderabad?
Do I need to complete the sale first and then apply for registering it in Hyderabad?

Would really appreciate anyone providing detailed steps needed for the above so that I may complete the formalities ASAP.
Yes, you need to close the sale first. You would need to get the owner's details and signature on all the forms required by the Hyderabad RTO. Along with the delivery note from the owner, you would also need an NOC from the Delhi RTO where the car is registered.

Before you close the deal, I would suggest you to find out the re-registration/road tax that you would incur here in Hyderabad, cus its one of the highest(or probably the highest in the country). You could just pay the road tax for Hyderabad and no need to register it here. You can carry along the NOC, Road Tax paid certificate and drive it in Hyderabad.
Though the only issue is cops will catch you very often if you run it on DL number and you will have to waste your time in convincing them after showing the required docs. That would push you to register it here.

Any other suggestions/corrections anyone ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:14   #234
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akashi, JP
Posts: 144
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi, looking around for a second hand car in Vadodara, Gujarat. Contacted the local true value dealer and he has an Alto K10 2011, quoting 2.65L for it.

1. Is it a reasonable price?
2. Do these branded outlets come down on pricing or give discounts etc?

Thanks in advance
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:35   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 927 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Hi, looking around for a second hand car in Vadodara, Gujarat. Contacted the local true value dealer and he has an Alto K10 2011, quoting 2.65L for it.
1. Is it a reasonable price?
2. Do these branded outlets come down on pricing or give discounts etc?
Hello Wantarangerover,

The Price of Rs. 2.65 lacs for 2011 Alto K10 is good. It is worth buying if you are looking for a small petrol car.

After as Pricing & discounts, all the used car dealers (including Branded ones) bargain & offer freebies.

You should negotiate hard.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:13   #236
BHPian
 
Turbo car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 128
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

HI guys,

Can you tell me which all documents should i insist on to check the authenticity of the buyer and the vehicle before buying an imported car ( say a Land cruiser 2001-2002 model) ? To complicate matters further, the car is from out of state too!
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 14:06   #237
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akashi, JP
Posts: 144
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Thanks for the input. Now I saw the car in person, and here are some observations.

1. It has done 30000kms (in ~1 year!!)
2. There are three small dents on the bodywork (the guy said they'll repair it for free).
3. There are small rust like spots on the door edges.
4. There are some stupid stickers on the sides (which they said can be removed), chrome grille covers, and chrome tail lamp covers/detailing (again they said they can be removed.

The price they are quoting is 2.6 with all the dents/ extra fitting removed. Is it ok?? it the mileage too high for a 1yr old car??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Wantarangerover,

The Price of Rs. 2.65 lacs for 2011 Alto K10 is good. It is worth buying if you are looking for a small petrol car.

After as Pricing & discounts, all the used car dealers (including Branded ones) bargain & offer freebies.

You should negotiate hard.

Thanks,
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 20:12   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 927 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
1. It has done 30000kms (in ~1 year!!)
2. There are three small dents on the bodywork (the guy said they'll repair it for free).
3. There are small rust like spots on the door edges.
The price they are quoting is 2.6 with all the dents/ extra fitting removed. Is it ok?? it the mileage too high for a 1yr old car??
Hello Wantarangerover,

Frankly speaking 30,000 kms in year is on very higher side. Also the tyres will be due for change at around 35,000 kms. So that will be additional cost of Rs. 20,000 for you within next few months.

As far as dents are concerned, they will remove it very neatly.

I will advice you to look for another Car as considering the ODO reading of 30,000 kms in 1 year, the Price is not worth paying.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 01:14   #239
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Akashi, JP
Posts: 144
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Thanks again for the reply. Yes, I do think the price is very high. With 30k on the odo, its almost like a three year old car (well, a cars age is by kms, not years really isnt it). I also pushed the dealer with the reasoning that the car is old and I will have to change tyres etc. But he wont budge from the price, so walked away. Buying a good condition used car is much more difficult than I thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Wantarangerover,

Frankly speaking 30,000 kms in year is on very higher side. Also the tyres will be due for change at around 35,000 kms. So that will be additional cost of Rs. 20,000 for you within next few months.

As far as dents are concerned, they will remove it very neatly.

I will advice you to look for another Car as considering the ODO reading of 30,000 kms in 1 year, the Price is not worth paying.

Thanks,
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 01:37   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,550
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Maruti True Value are true cheats, stay away, they are no better than the regular car broker, who needs warranty on engine and gear box ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India GTO On buying a car 241 28th November 2016 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks