Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:39   #541
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

My dad wants to sell his 9 year old Petrol Accent. He is looking to buy a second hand car below 5 lac. His travel is mostly on highways and ghat roads with bad road conditions. The car needs to have good boot space. But he wants a car smaller than Accent. Any suggestions?
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:47   #542
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,141
Thanked: 963 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

A wagon R - even a new one - would be a very car for ghat roads?
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:54   #543
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A wagon R - even a new one - would be a very car for ghat roads?
How big is the boot? Does it have folding rear seats?
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:59   #544
BHPian
 
vin11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
How big is the boot? Does it have folding rear seats?
Boot space is slightly bigger/same as an Alto (I think around 170 L). You can safely assume that modern Maruti cars (i.e. cheaper segments) will have extraordinary cabin space but a tiny boot. Handling would not be assuring at high speeds and it is best suited for city driving (engine characteristics).

Have a look at the Figo, it is a dynamically rich car (perfect for highways) and has a 280 L boot (similar to Old i20 I think). If you have 5 Lac budget, then the Figo diesel would be absolute bang for the buck!

Last edited by vin11 : 3rd September 2015 at 10:03.
vin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:28   #545
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Boot space is slightly bigger/same as an Alto (I think around 170 L). You can safely assume that modern Maruti cars (i.e. cheaper segments) will have extraordinary cabin space but a tiny boot. Handling would not be assuring at high speeds and it is best suited for city driving (engine characteristics).

Have a look at the Figo, it is a dynamically rich car (perfect for highways) and has a 280 L boot (similar to Old i20 I think). If you have 5 Lac budget, then the Figo diesel would be absolute bang for the buck!
Thank you, Vin.

I will check both Figo and Wagon R.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:12   #546
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore , Ind
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Smile Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi everyone !

I'm looking at buying a pre owned Mercedes C220 Diesel

It has run 1,05,000 KMS and is very smooth in running as well.


What sort of expenses can i expect in the near future ?
Spares ?
Service costs ?
Fuel Economy ?

The car shows no faults and belongs to a Mercedes fond family.

Also what should be the ideal SP of such a car ?

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-111924107_1_1000x700_mercedesbenzc220cdichandigarh.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-111924107_7_1000x700_mercedesbenzc220cdi.jpg  

rnagpal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 07:03   #547
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,141
Thanked: 963 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

I would have suggested a figo for a boot - also for its ride characteristics - but it is kind of underpowered at low gears, especially on ghat roads. That may be a factor of driving style and keeping the engine at a certain base RPM level but still .. point to be noted if you buy one and then have to ask people to get off and walk a bit on a steep slope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Boot space is slightly bigger/same as an Alto (I think around 170 L). You can safely assume that modern Maruti cars (i.e. cheaper segments) will have extraordinary cabin space but a tiny boot. Handling would not be assuring at high speeds and it is best suited for city driving (engine characteristics).

Have a look at the Figo, it is a dynamically rich car (perfect for highways) and has a 280 L boot (similar to Old i20 I think). If you have 5 Lac budget, then the Figo diesel would be absolute bang for the buck!
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 07:59   #548
BHPian
 
noidea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 141
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Why would someone want to sell a hybrid Camry at 5,00,000/-

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-untitled-1.png
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 09:40   #549
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 74
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Why would someone want to sell a hybrid Camry at 5,00,000/-
Most of the ads which I have seen in Quickr are not genuine. The phone numbers also given in the website are wrong.
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 10:21   #550
BHPian
 
vin11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I would have suggested a figo for a boot - also for its ride characteristics - but it is kind of underpowered at low gears, especially on ghat roads. That may be a factor of driving style and keeping the engine at a certain base RPM level but still .. point to be noted if you buy one and then have to ask people to get off and walk a bit on a steep slope.
If he gets a diesel Figo (possible in his 5 Lac budget), I don't think this situation will be there. I have driven diesel Figo (not on ghats) and it has negligible turbo lag, it kicks in at very low RPMs and usable driving range is similar to that of the Liva diesel.

I can't particularly digest one line - It is underpowered at low gears. In comparison to the Accent (that he has now) or the petrol WagonR?

Plus I haven't heard of the "get off and walk a bit" thingy, possibly because I haven't driven a car on ghat roads. If this is the case with Figo, then I think WagonR would be no exception. It is a lower segment car after all.
vin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 10:53   #551
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 133
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
Why would someone want to sell a hybrid Camry at 5,00,000/-

Attachment 1410386
I will ask my dad to go for this one then

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I would have suggested a figo for a boot - also for its ride characteristics - but it is kind of underpowered at low gears, especially on ghat roads. That may be a factor of driving style and keeping the engine at a certain base RPM level but still .. point to be noted if you buy one and then have to ask people to get off and walk a bit on a steep slope.

Well, I have driven a Maruti 800 through ghat roads with 4 people on board and no one had to step out and walk. I guess Figo and Wagon R won't be worst than good old Maruti 800. :rolleyes:




Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
If he gets a diesel Figo (possible in his 5 Lac budget), I don't think this situation will be there. I have driven diesel Figo (not on ghats) and it has negligible turbo lag, it kicks in at very low RPMs and usable driving range is similar to that of the Liva diesel.

I can't particularly digest one line - It is underpowered at low gears. In comparison to the Accent (that he has now) or the petrol WagonR?

Plus I haven't heard of the "get off and walk a bit" thingy, possibly because I haven't driven a car on ghat roads. If this is the case with Figo, then I think WagonR would be no exception. It is a lower segment car after all.
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will take a look at two of these car models over the weekend. Let's see if I can find a good one.

Last edited by ampere : 5th September 2015 at 17:55. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 14:11   #552
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,141
Thanked: 963 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

To be fair the only Figo I have driven was a rather abused zoomcar rental, that could be the reason
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 09:25   #553
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 12
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
It is perfectly fine to buy a discontinued model, if you get hold of a good condition car. Spare part availability is not an issue for at least 5 years for discontinued cars. Santro is one good car, that has mechanical support at almost every FNG and would serve you well within the city.

Figo would also be apt but i10 (1.2 Kappa old one) and Dzire (again, old one) would be better choices, at more or less the same price.

I would suggest the Ritz Petrol. It is VFM, Good in the city and highways alike, decent boot space and backed by Maruti network.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Actually speaking there are lot of good cars out there and I am bit confused which one to buy. But more than that, most of the time I cannot decide the price the sellers quote for their cars is appropriate. I sort of take the price carwale gives as a reference but then still, have no idea of how to arrive at a appropriate price.
kaustubhpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 17:09   #554
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 623
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

I have a question about making payments for used cars. Since I'm inspired by the most popular Pre-Worshipped car thread these days, I was planning to pick up a similar car. Now my question is about transferring money to the seller. I can't carry cash to pay and take the car. I'll have to do an electronic transfer. How to ensure the seller doesn't take the money and then start acting funny.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 18:44   #555
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 74
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi Guys,

Looking for used Wagon R, 2008 VXI variant.
Asking price is 1.85 lakhs.
Kms Driven is 50K Kms, car taking from owner. Single owner.
I have checked with service history, and the insurance part. Both looks good.
Iam new to driving and want to keep the car for long time.
Please let me know is this deal worth.

Thanks
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India GTO On buying a car 241 28th November 2016 15:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks