Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 23rd September 2016, 07:25   #751
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I was browsing through a car seller site and found a car that interests me. But the car is registered in MH though it's plying in KA. If I want to buy this car, what should I expect?

1. Do I have to pay the re-registration charges even if I don't want the registration to change to KA number?
2. Are there such provisions for buying a used car that is not KA registered in KA and just changing ownership?

Please help / advise.
You can't change ownership of a MH car in KA without a NOC from the MH RTO and paying re-registration life tax.

The first thing the KA RTO will do is gleefully collect the life tax and then give you a KA RC book with your MH number on it. Which means you or the original owner will not be able to collect a tax refund in Maharashtra till such time as you get a KA number allotted to you. See the crazy procedure here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4023993 (Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?)
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:36   #752
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can't change ownership of a MH car in KA without a NOC from the MH RTO and paying re-registration life tax.

The first thing the KA RTO will do is gleefully collect the life tax and then give you a KA RC book with your MH number on it. Which means you or the original owner will not be able to collect a tax refund in Maharashtra till such time as you get a KA number allotted to you. See the crazy procedure here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4023993 (Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?)
Wow! Just reading that gave me a headache. I am definitely not the one to take such trouble. Thank you for your help and advice.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote