Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 3rd November 2016, 15:44   #766
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Full payment is as soon as the RTO accepts the papers. Till then token advance.

If that doesn't work for the dealer tell him to get lost and move on, there are other cars.

Get a competent mechanic that you trust and pay him to inspect the car for you + suggest what you should pay for it and how much it will cost in repairs, new tyres / battery, servicing etc to make the car drivable

Do this before you pay the dealer even a paisa of token advance.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:45   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If that doesn't work for the dealer tell him to get lost and move on, there are other cars.
Thanks. I walked out of the deal as I didn't feel comfortable buying a car that is out of warranty without speaking with the owner.

The car was in good condition but the dealer was too lazy to show me the documents (barring photocopies of RC and insurance) and kept giving one reason or the other (He never showed me finance NOC document even though he claimed that the loan was closed). I got too tired of the dealer trying to form his own rules of dealing. Between all this, I started growing skeptical of the transparency in the deal. It was just not worth the headache.

Now onwards, I'll just look at individual posted ads or just go and book a new car. Had enough dealing with the dealers

Last edited by theredliner : 3rd November 2016 at 23:46.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 06:30   #768
Senior - BHPian

Half the so called individual posted ads on quikr, olx and other car sales portals belong to such park and sell type dealers.

Needs a bit of patience to sort these out.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 07:27   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I walked out of the deal as I didn't feel comfortable buying a car that is out of warranty.
dealer was too lazy to show me the documents (barring photocopies of RC and insurance)

Now onwards, I'll just look at individual posted ads or just go and book a new car. Had enough dealing with the dealers
There is nothing wrong in buying a car that is out of warranty - just that the buyer has to take an informed decision based on an initial assessment of the car's condition.
All dealers aren't suspect.
I have dealt with professional dealers like TSM in Chennai (have no business interests there) who don't offer delivery till the buyer signs the transfer of ownership forms and submits photos , address proof.

Never strike a deal without seeing the original RC , original insurance, all keys , owner manual .Pulling a service history will give a true picture of the car's health.

Quote:
Half the so called individual posted ads on quikr, olx and other car sales portals belong to park and sell type dealers.

Needs a bit of patience to sort these out.
Agree with you @hserus.Only one in about 20 ads would come from a responsible individual seller ; and such responsible guys suffer because of loss of trust generated by suspicious ads.

Last edited by vigsom : 4th November 2016 at 07:28.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:40   #770
BHPian

I am looking for used car. Main purpose is to use the car at my native place whenever i go there on weekends from Namma Bengaluru. I have shortlisted few cars including Honda CRV and Scorpio.My budget is 4 to 5L Max.Please suggest me whether to go with petrol or diesel cars?.
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:43   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
I am looking for used car. Main purpose is to use the car at my native place whenever i go there on weekends from Namma Bengaluru. I have shortlisted few cars including Honda CRV and Scorpio.My budget is 4 to 5L Max.Please suggest me whether to go with petrol or diesel cars?.
Depends, are the roads near your native place good or bad? Do you really need a 7 seater in your native place? What brand's dealers have service locations nearby? All those extra questions to ask before you start finalizing cars.

Further at your fairly low budget you will get really old cars if you look for SUVs - try to buy a 4 year old and lightly used vehicle if you can.

For a low amount of use - occasional trips at your native place - just stick with petrol. The cost difference compared to Diesel isn't much these days and not worth the extra cost of a diesel car.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:44   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Depends, are the roads near your native place good or bad? Do you really need a 7 seater in your native place? What brand's dealers have service locations nearby? All those extra questions to ask before you start finalizing cars.

Further at your fairly low budget you will get really old cars if you look for SUVs - try to buy a 4 year old and lightly used vehicle if you can.

For a low amount of use - occasional trips at your native place - just stick with petrol. The cost difference compared to Diesel isn't much these days and not worth the extra cost of a diesel car.
Thanks for quick reply.
1)My native is Udupi and no problem in servicing, we have all major OEM service centers in Udupi and Mangalore.
2)We don't really need "7 seater .
3)Village road(Mud) ,reasonably good, my present swift is running on these road without much problem.
4)Why SUV?-To handle monsoon season we need SUV +to transport our Areca (Betel) nut and other agri products to city which is 17KM away from my house
5)We are constructing new house at my native ,so need to visit every weekend to look after,need to go to city to purchase materials and other stuffs.
6)Another major reason is because of transportation issue,to catch a bus we have to walk 7KM or depend on auto which is very expensive,no metering system .(spending 1 to 1.5K every weekend just for transportation)
7)Recently constructed a road in between our paddy fields to reach our house,so during monsoon water logging problem and flood will come(Big river just adjustment to our house,natural resort).
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_20160725_1711061.jpg  

balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:24   #773
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio, Tata Safari or maybe a Thar might fit the bill for you. Try them all out and see which one you prefer.