Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 11th August 2017, 14:15   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
Advice on buying a New Car in India

I understand that the Honda City 2017 is a BIG improvement over what i own , but i would now prefer some other brand . My 10 yr old daughter has demanded that the next car should be a SUV with a sunroof !!! , I did some research and unfortunately none of the SUV or Cross overs in my budget would have one! . Can i please have some suggestions while i try to convince my daughter to adjust without a sunroof , Otherwise I might just end up with another City...

Other than Honda there is no other mass market manufacturer offering a sun roof in India. The only options you have are the WRV which fits rights into your crossover requirement and the City. You may look at the Creta the de facto choice in the segment and even wait for the new S cross and the Ecosport.
ToyotaFan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:31   #257
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

I am going to ask a question to this learned community which would hopefully be able to describe the precarious state of mind I am in. This is not mind vs heart and this may not seem a relevant question to many.
I am thinking of buying a new car by December 2017 or early 2018. The dilemma that I am in is whether to go for the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI or the Jeep Compass! Following are the salient points:
1) I drive a Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI MT (2014). The car has been an absolute delight to me till date with no mechanical or electrical trouble and has clocked 41k Km in the last 3 years. My experience with ill-famed Skoda A.S.S has been manageable in Mumbai. I still enjoy driving the car and love the way the car transforms itself every-time I unleash her on the highways and she erases most of the cars below the C2 segment from the rear view mirror. However, the vulgar desire for more has been bothering me for sometime now. And there comes the dilemma.
2) I have a bad habit of taking test drives of most of the cars even if they are beyond my immediate affordability. In fact, I have test driven almost all the cars that cost south of INR 50 Lakhs (barring the new Fortuner, Camry and the Jaguars).
3) During these test drives over the last one year, I had decided that my next car would either be the 320D, if I can stretch my budget till 50L or the Octavia 1.8 TSI if I am forced to remain below half of that mark. It was love at first ride for both these cars.
4) Fast forward to present day: The Bimmer is financially out of reach and thus the Octy becomes the natural choice. Frankly, I could not fathom the justifications behind any other sedan like the CLA or A4 over the Octy. So if it was not the RWD 3-Series, it had to be the Octy 1.8 TSI.
5) The comments, albeit from the passenger seats from the immediate family came as shockers to me - "The Octavia feels like slightly bigger Rapid", "It doesn't feel special" etc etc. And then came the obvious question during this monsoon - "Given the road conditions of Mumbai, doesn't a SUV make more sense?", "Can the Octy take us to the much talked about Ladakh trip or other cross country trips?"
6) My answer to the SUV question was - "I am not a big fan of the SUVs under 30L as they are hardly true SUVs. And the Fortuner, Endy and the Pajero are above 35L On-Road Mumbai and thus should not be considered."
7) But this is when emerged the coveted Jeep Compass, equipped with a brilliant pricing by Jeep India. I am yet to test drive it as the dealerships are too busy managing the high demand to bring the TD car to my preferred location and are requesting me to come to the showroom which are in extremely crowded areas of Mumbai and I can't really feel the car well. But T-BHP and other reviews say its probably 'the perfect SUV' (no offence to the Creta owners) in this range that goes off the roads with ease and drives like a car on the highways.

Now, following are my considerations and I need some advice to decide:
1) A well built vehicle with all safety features.
2) A vehicle that handles well and is fast enough to give the thrills and leave others (anything below the 3-series) to dust.
3) Preferably an automatic (Manual is not completely ruled out) but not CVT
4) Features, other than safety are not deal breakers.
5) After enduring and successfully surviving Skoda A.S.S, I don't think I will worry too much about that.
6) An SUV only if the above conditions are met.
7) And the most important consideration - On Road Mumbai < INR 26-27L

Can I get some wise help here?
mrinmoy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:39   #258
Senior - BHPian

Keep the Rapid and upgrade its ICE, give it a pro detailing job, some extra accessories.

Spend even a lakh on this and that should get the new car itch out of your system.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 16:08   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Keep the Rapid and upgrade its ICE, give it a pro detailing job, some extra accessories.

Spend even a lakh on this and that should get the new car itch out of your system.
I had mentioned in my post that other than safety, features like fancy ICE or accessories are not really my criteria/deal makers.

The itch is for a faster and a better handling car. Spending a lakh for remap can still be an option, but the accessories won't act as itch guard in my case.
mrinmoy_s is offline   Reply With Quote