Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 27th April 2018, 21:17   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my car. But I am not sure which one to take as the thing is that in the hatchback space, Petrol cars are not that appealing and in the Diesel space, we do have some good options but with the BS-VI regulations that are going to launch in a year or two....

...Does that mean all these engines would be rendered non-compliant and we shouldn't be using them?
A combination of things will likely happen:

1. All new cars after a certain date will launch with BS-VI compliant engines, with some sort of roll-off timeline set for older standards.
2. Fuel availability will gradually move towards the BS-VI standard.
3. Some cities may impose restrictions around the pollution standards to be met for vehicles allowed in their jurisdiction (this is already happening globally).

To answer your specific concern, any diesel car bought today shouldn't be impacted significantly for the next 4-5 years while the transition to BS-VI standard happens gradually, and it should still be possible to maintain it for a similar period afterwards with some effort but it will get progressively difficult.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 21:37   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
To answer your specific concern, any diesel car bought today shouldn't be impacted significantly for the next 4-5 years while the transition to BS-VI standard happens gradually, and it should still be possible to maintain it for a similar period afterwards with some effort but it will get progressively difficult.
Thank you Chetan, it seems I'd be better off buying a petrol than a diesel one.
bhaskar.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 13:17   #273
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Hi team, I have booked a Verna petrol SX on 16th evening. The deal includes exchanging my old Micra with them.

Here is the story. During booking process, I have made the booking amount through cheque. I have told the SA that I will hand over my old car as down payment on 28th of this month as I have some work. But, they need to share the VIN with me before that. Once the car landed at their yard, I will do a PDI and release rest of the money immediately. SA was asking some more down payment during old car hand over, but I sticked to my part.

Today, SA gets back to me and told that, dealership is asking some more amount as down payment, after the car is allocated and VIN is shared and before handing over my old car. I strictly said to stick to the discussion we had during booking. He said, he will get back after checking with his sales lead.

Am I getting a bit rigid here? How much down payment should I make after they share the VIN with me? I cannot hand over my old car to them before 28th. So, if I want them to allot car to me before that, is it normal for making some down payment?

N.B: there is no car loan process involved here as I am arranging my personal finance. Dealership will get money directly from me.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 21st May 2018 at 13:19.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote