Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 1st July 2010, 16:05   #196
BHPian

PDI checklist says,while buying for new car pollution certificate will be issued for 1 year, but when I bought my Tata Safari dealer was not aware of such thing, he asked me to have pollution certificate after I have original RC, that certificate will be valid for 3 months. Pls let me know how I can get certificate for 1 year
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:56   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
PDI checklist says,while buying for new car pollution certificate will be issued for 1 year, but when I bought my Tata Safari dealer was not aware of such thing, he asked me to have pollution certificate after I have original RC, that certificate will be valid for 3 months. Pls let me know how I can get certificate for 1 year
Don't worry about the certificate. Any new car sold in India doesn't require a PUC certificate for the first year.

Quote:
As per Central Motor Rules, 1989, every motor vehicle (including those conforming to Euro-I/ Euro-II/ Euro-III as well as vehicles plying on CNG/LPG) is required to carry a valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate after the expiry of period of one year from the date of its first registration. Since you purchased you car recently, it is not required. But after 1 year from the date of registration if you don't have PUC certificate, you will be fined Rs.1000 for the first offence and Rs.2000 everytime after that.
Link to full thread (Pollution check for new car ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Did a PDI on my i20 CRDI and found that the left side mirror indicators are not working.told them to replace it before delivery.kudos to the checklist and TBHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
I booked a 2010 model but was handed a 2009 model last month. fortunately I did a PDI and rejected the car right away.
Awesome . It's good to hear that the PDI checklist is serving its purpose.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:09   #198
BHPian

Default Buying Swift Vxi (ABS)

Hi,

I'm buying a Swift Vxi (ABS). I have gone through the thread and I had few questions or rather, confirmations to my understanding related to the whole car buying process:

1. After booking the car, when dealer says it is ready for delivery, I can and should go to the yard and do a Pre-registration check, now down the engine and chassis number. Correct?

2. If I do not find car upto my expectation, I can ask for a different car/ cancel my registration. Correct?

3. If all goes well, on the day of the delivery, apart from the usual PDI as mentioned superbly in this thread (thanks GTO !), I should cross check the engine and chassis details with the ones in step 1. Correct?

4. At this stage also, if anything goes wrong, I do have the full right of refusal to take the final delivery and sign the registration papers?

5. Insurance and Car Loan - I can get from outside, if i find a better deal (I know this is true, just jotting down as part of the process)

6. RTO Registration - I do not want to pay the bribe, I can get this done on my own (one of my friend's dad is an inspector in traffic police ). So my question is:
a. Is this possible or do I have to go through the damn dealer only?
b. If it is indeed possible, what are the steps and paperwork/ footwork
to be done?

Thanks in advance,

Dieseling
Dieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:27   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
Hi,

I'm buying a Swift Vxi (ABS). I have gone through the thread and I had few questions or rather, confirmations to my understanding related to the whole car buying process:

1. After booking the car, when dealer says it is ready for delivery, I can and should go to the yard and do a Pre-registration check, now down the engine and chassis number. Correct?

Right you are.

2. If I do not find car upto my expectation, I can ask for a different car/ cancel my registration. Correct?

Yes.

3. If all goes well, on the day of the delivery, apart from the usual PDI as mentioned superbly in this thread (thanks GTO !), I should cross check the engine and chassis details with the ones in step 1. Correct?

Yes.

4. At this stage also, if anything goes wrong, I do have the full right of refusal to take the final delivery and sign the registration papers?

Sign form 20 after the 1st PDI. Once you sign this, you can't reject the car and ask for a different one. Signing form 20 means you are accepting this piece.

5. Insurance and Car Loan - I can get from outside, if i find a better deal (I know this is true, just jotting down as part of the process)

Yes, but the dealer will try all sort of tricks as he has a % in this.

6. RTO Registration - I do not want to pay the bribe, I can get this done on my own (one of my friend's dad is an inspector in traffic police ). So my question is:
a. Is this possible or do I have to go through the damn dealer only?
b. If it is indeed possible, what are the steps and paperwork/ footwork
to be done?

Can be done, please search the forum, there is a thread on this step by step procedure.

Thanks in advance,

Dieseling
Congrats on the car, happy motoring.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:26   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Congrats on the car, happy motoring.
Thanks ! after lot of contemplation, TDs, rejections, internal emotional conflicts, I have settled for a Swift VDi. To hell with Maruti for it's all money no value car in terms of features but what the heck, engine is awesome, responds superbly and the car is a pleasure to drive.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:23   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
Thanks ! after lot of contemplation, TDs, rejections, internal emotional conflicts, I have settled for a Swift VDi. To hell with Maruti for it's all money no value car in terms of features but what the heck, engine is awesome, responds superbly and the car is a pleasure to drive.

You will change yor opinion in a short time (read few months). I am a standing example for that
Old 5th July 2010, 10:02   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Sign form 20 after the 1st PDI. Once you sign this, you can't reject the car and ask for a different one. Signing form 20 means you are accepting this piece.
Though this is highly recommended, I accidentally happened to sign this form while I was processing my loan. Then during the PDI found that my car was a 2009 model, so rejected it right away. I then called up the loan guy and informed him to NOT hand over the form 20 to the dealer unless I give him a go ahead. Well I guess the loan guy was a gentleman ( he belonged to the dealership though). Finally when I got the car I was looking for, he called me up to check if the form 20 should be given to the dealer.
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:51   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Though this is highly recommended, I accidentally happened to sign this form while I was processing my loan. Then during the PDI found that my car was a 2009 model, so rejected it right away. I then called up the loan guy and informed him to NOT hand over the form 20 to the dealer unless I give him a go ahead. Well I guess the loan guy was a gentleman ( he belonged to the dealership though). Finally when I got the car I was looking for, he called me up to check if the form 20 should be given to the dealer.
Well, all I can say is you are extremely fortunate. They know most of us fall for these things. Once form 20 is handed over they would say it's already registered. You see, Customer's Ignorance is their Bliss
Old 6th July 2010, 00:47   #204
BHPian

Quote:
You will change yor opinion in a short time (read few months). I am a standing example for that
In what respect? kindly clarify, would like to know about your experience.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:25   #205
Senior - BHPian

Is there any excel sheet as such which we can use for PDI?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:25   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Is there any excel sheet as such which we can use for PDI?
Just write the word 'excel' & search this thread.You will find it.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:49   #207
Senior - BHPian

thanks buddy, i got it. i googled & i found the link!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:59   #208
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai folks, I have a doubt.
I'll be getting my VW Polo in the next few days. I live in Bandra but the registration of the vehicle will be for Navi-Mumbai as I have a house there too. So the dealer is saying that my car will come registered from there to the VW Downtown showroom. That means I'll not be able to do a PDI myself since the car cannot travel from Navi-Mumbai to downtown w/o registration. But he says the they have people who'll do the PDI themselves.
So should I leave it to them for doing the PDI?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:28   #209
Senior - BHPian

^ I would always recommend a personal PDI from your side!(strict one too)

Even them claiming that 'they'll do the PDI' should get you all suspicious!

As far as PDI is concerned, trust no one but yourself!(and the PDI checklist provided here! )
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:28   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely. Putting Dracula in charge of the bloodbank is the analogy!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote