Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 9th October 2014, 01:08   #466
BHPian

Smile Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Hi Arun,

I'm glad you feel better now.

1. I'm also curious when you say odo reading didn't show anything does it mean that there was no display as in no light, no digits, no text, no numbers ??

or

2. was the display ON but there was no reading in the odo part ?

I ask this as when I went for the pdi of my polo the odo reading was "trA" or "trR". I was able to cycle through the menus.

my sa had to me that odo will start at time of delivery. when I collected my vehicle, on day of delivery it had about 10 kms or less on it.

Can you or some one else throw more light on this ?

Thanks a ton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun2014 View Post
Hi Rana, the display was very much ON. the lights were ON too. I don't remember exactly what else was there. But for sure, there was no mention of the 'Kms' when I switched the key ON for the first time. I remember that b'cos I was very curious to know about the odo reading. Pardon my ignorance, I always thought when you check the new car right in the yard, the odo would show '0 Kms'. But the SA explained me that the odo would show at least 10 - 15 kms since road test would've been done at the manufacturing plant itself. I was indeed convinced about that bit.

The crux of the problem in any case, was the SA. He never inspired confidence. He kept on changing his words on several things. For instance, he said that the car was in transit and would reach in 5 - 6 days, but on the third day, he said it has already reached the yard. This is just one of the many contradicting info he gave me. When I checked with the yard manager, he said that the car has reached a month back!!! In fact, the very reason why I went to the yard was to check the odo reading.

Coming back to it, the odo didn't show any reading when I switched the key ON for the first time. However, after a few minutes, when I did it again, I could see a big '0' (Zero) right at the centre. There was also the fuel indicator icon on the top right. When I asked about it, the SA told me that it's not the odo reading, but an indication of the fact that the fuel is empty. The SA said the kms run would reflect post PDI only.

I wish I had taken pics of it. I didn't, because I never thought for a moment that that's an issue. Besides, the small threads on the tyres were intact. So I was convinced with what the SA told me - at least on this bit. My knowledgeable friend who was supposed to accompany me to the yard couldn't make it. Only later when I spoke to him over phone, I realized that it's something of concern and posted it on TBHP.

Besides, there was one more issue. The bonnet wasn't closing properly, and guess I was sidetracked by it - I was busy checking the bonnet of every other car parked in the yard.

Hope this helps.
Hope these following pics clarifies the doubt.

The snap immediately taken after the my polo was unloaded from the trailer. The odometer is showing as TRANSIT MODE.
The second pic has been taken after the PDI. Usually during the PDI they will change the transit mode. After that it was showing 5km in the odometer.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-imag2206.jpg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-imag2209.jpg  

nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:31   #467
BHPian

Angry Bmw 2014 model bought on 31st July 2014 but production date 9th Oct 2013!!

Hi Experts!

I got myself a Bmw 320d Sport line from Platino Classic, Cochin. We booked the car on 20th May 2014 and got the car on 31st July 2014. We exclusively asked for the 2014 model even though they had the 2013 model available at a cheaper price(3-4 Lakhs difference).

Recently, my wife read in a newspaper that around 32 Bmw cars have filed a case against Platino Classic, Cochin for delivering them with 2013 models instead of 2014 to which they have requested and received stay order from court.

I was curious about my car's model even though my car's color is Melbourne Red which according to the showroom is different for 2014 model in comparison to 2013 model.

When I gave my car for Paint protection film treatment at 3m and for a car wash at Pete's detailing center, both of them showed me that the car's bumper has been repainted! Also, the car's oil level was showing less than half even before the first service which is due in January. So, I thought of looking at how to find out the details about my car.

A thread in teambhp had a link to Bmw VIN decoder. I found the Chasis number of my car and entered the VIN in the site. I was shocked to see the result!

My car was produced in October 2013! I tried a few other decoders and they confirmed the date to be 9th October 2013!

I have attached the pics and details from decoder.

Please help me on what is to be done regarding this.

First of all, Is it normal for 2014 models bought in July 2014 to be produced in October 2013?

If not, as the car is already registered, is there anything that can be done now?

My Father in law was telling me that we will file a case against them. Should we do it or talk to them asking for an explanation and possible compensation?

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-imag0715.jpg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-screenshot_20141223110636.png  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-imag0711.jpg  

Attached Images

yaseenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:08   #468
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bmw 2014 model bought on 31st July 2014 but production date 9th Oct 2013!!

See how they respond.

But if you were sold an 2013 and was promised 2014, you should go legal. Esp since you already have a group who have already done that.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:19   #469
BHPian

Default Re: Bmw 2014 model bought on 31st July 2014 but production date 9th Oct 2013!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
See how they respond.

But if you were sold an 2013 and was promised 2014, you should go legal. Esp since you already have a group who have already done that.
Model year and manufacturing year may be different. Typically in US and Europe model year 2014 cars start selling by mid 2013 itself.

three questions for you.
1. What was committed by dealer? Model year or manufacturing year?
2. Do you have the commitment in writing? Say your order details or emails?
3. Are there any updates that only model year 2014 got? There should be some always. Can you verify that against your car? Don't go with dealers word like color etc, but do some research yourself.

Please update us with what you find.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:56   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Model year and manufacturing year may be different. Typically in US and Europe model year 2014 cars start selling by mid 2013 itself.
I think he is referring to manufacturing date, hence he mentions the discount if one choose the older manufacturing date in the above post.

Model year and manufacturing date are different.

EDIT: Was the dealer offering discount on 2013 model OR 2013 manufacturing/production date? @yaseenar

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2014 at 14:58.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:04   #471
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
A thread in teambhp had a link to Bmw VIN decoder. I found the Chasis number of my car and entered the VIN in the site. I was shocked to see the result!

My car was produced in October 2013! I tried a few other decoders and they confirmed the date to be 9th October 2013!
It takes 1 minute to decode a VIN online. I fail to understand why you didn't decode the VIN before delivery.

Unless you have a commitment in writing, unfortunately, there is little you can do now.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:09   #472
Team-BHP Support

Also what does your RC card say? Date of manufacturing?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:41   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Also what does your RC card say? Date of manufacturing?
RC Card says manufacturing date as January 2014. Is it because it is CKD? the engine was imported and assembled later on?

Quote:
I think he is referring to manufacturing date, hence he mentions the discount if one choose the older manufacturing date in the above post.

Model year and manufacturing date are different.

EDIT: Was the dealer offering discount on 2013 model OR 2013 manufacturing/production date? @yaseenar
The dealer was offering discount on the 2013 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It takes 1 minute to decode a VIN online. I fail to understand why you didn't decode the VIN before delivery.

Unless you have a commitment in writing, unfortunately, there is little you can do now.
I was not available to see the car before delivery. It all happened before my marriage so I could involve less in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

three questions for you.
1. What was committed by dealer? Model year or manufacturing year?
2. Do you have the commitment in writing? Say your order details or emails?
3. Are there any updates that only model year 2014 got? There should be some always. Can you verify that against your car? Don't go with dealers word like color etc, but do some research yourself.

Please update us with what you find.
1. The dealer offered the latest model i.e.2014. As we bought it in mid 2014, I expected the manufacturing date to be also in 2014 :(
2. No commitment in writing as I was not involved or present during the purchase.
3. I checked online regarding this and could not come across any difference in 2013/2014 models except that they had red interiors for 320d available in 2014 which was only available in 328i in 2013 but my car has black interiors.
I could not find any comparisons or added features for the 2014 model online.
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:05   #474
Team-BHP Support

In short when you expected 2014 manufactured vehicle, you got a 2013 manufactured vehicle. Model is 2014 BMW 3 series, where there is no issues.

There is a case since RC says 2014 manufactured, which is a lie
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 07:40   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post

If not, as the car is already registered, is there anything that can be done now?

My Father in law was telling me that we will file a case against them. Should we do it or talk to them asking for an explanation and possible compensation?
:
As mentioned above its normal to manufacture vehicles this year which is a next year model. But, repainted bumpers are something to worry about. You may check whether it's a used car and then involved in any accidents. File a vase if you have evidence of being cheated and go for compensation.
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 07:58   #476
Senior - BHPian

There is an issue with new cars being driven to run errands for the dealer and are also taken to prospective customer's places as a demo car. Many dealers disconnect speedometers so that the odo doesn't clock these drive distances. In petrol engined cars the engine check lamp will be on when speed sensor is disconnected which I have seen myself.
One dealer told me that for Diesel engined cars, this is not possible but the question as to why was not answered.
One can see many cars being driven with red dealer plates everywhere. Bumper being vulnerable, it is more likely to get scratched and could be the reason for the repainting in your car.
This rampant practice by dealers need to be curbed.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 12:17   #477
BHPian

Quote:
In short when you expected 2014 manufactured vehicle, you got a 2013 manufactured vehicle. Model is 2014 BMW 3 series, where there is no issues.

There is a case since RC says 2014 manufactured, which is a lie
Yeah. I talked to my father in law who had a discussion with his friends. They say that going for a case against Bmw is useless as they are very powerful but we can use our contacts and try for a compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
As mentioned above its normal to manufacture vehicles this year which is a next year model. But, repainted bumpers are something to worry about. You may check whether it's a used car and then involved in any accidents. File a vase if you have evidence of being cheated and go for compensation.
When my father in law talked about the repainted bumper to his friends what they told him is that we cannot do anything about the repainted bumper as the dealer will simply say that the car arrived from Chennai plant where it was assembled. Bmw Chennai plant/any service center has the right to repaint the bumper/any part in case the part got damaged while shipping from Germany. I will show it to a trusted mechanic in Kerala but other than the front bumper, nothing else is damaged when it was checked by Shibin(Pete's) and 3M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There is an issue with new cars being driven to run errands for the dealer and are also taken to prospective customer's places as a demo car. Many dealers disconnect speedometers so that the odo doesn't clock these drive distances. In petrol engined cars the engine check lamp will be on when speed sensor is disconnected which I have seen myself.
One dealer told me that for Diesel engined cars, this is not possible but the question as to why was not answered.
One can see many cars being driven with red dealer plates everywhere. Bumper being vulnerable, it is more likely to get scratched and could be the reason for the repainting in your car.
This rampant practice by dealers need to be curbed.
I hope that this is not true! It looks like my car was ready for delivery a little earlier but my family decided to receive it only on July 31st as they didn't want to risk spoiling the car before marriage day. :(
Old 27th December 2014, 16:22   #478
BHPian

Default Update!

Hi all,

Today I gave my car for servicing at Bmw, Kochi. I talked to sales team head about this issue. He listened to me and asked his junior to decode the VIN. He came with two print outs. One with the details about the manufacturing. they said that the chassis was manufactured in Germany in October 2013 and assembled here in Jan 2014.

What made me feel relieved was this piece of paper(attached) where they had showed me what each alphabet in VIN/Chasis No. actually meant.

*EC* in the picture is the code for month and year of manufacture.

In my car it is *AE* which means that my car is maufactured in Jan 2014!!

They did not share the detailed information paper with me as it was for internal use.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-imag0755.jpg  

Old 30th December 2014, 16:26   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have attached the pics and details from decoder.

Please help me on what is to be done regarding this.

First of all, Is it normal for 2014 models bought in July 2014 to be produced in October 2013?
I think VIN decoder will give you date of Manufacture of KITs which can be older than Actual Production Year of Car in case of BMW CKD's , you can find more information with dealer , ask for BMW Invoice copy - it will have both dates .
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 18:55   #480
BHPian

Hi all,

I was buying my first car last month and did a PDI of the car before registration and before delivery as per T-bhp checklist. However, while decoding the VIN for Maruti Suzuki, I found a minor mismatch in our T-bhp article for decoding VIN in Maruti cars. Although decode says 20th character represents the Month and 21st character represents year, the example section says,
if your 20th VIN character is L, then it represents the month - November
If your 10th VIN character is 6, then it represents the year - 2006.

I think it would be better if the example section is edited and replaced with the sentence "If your 21st VIN character is 6, then it represents the year - 2006"
Attached Images

subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote