Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 24th August 2016, 19:43   #571
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

We are waiting to take delivery of our Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium (Golden Bronze). I went to the showrrom to make an inspection before the delivery, armed with the PDI checklist. Here's what I found:

The VIN is MAJAZ*****GD3***4, which points to July 2016 manufacture.
The Form 22 shows the date as 27.07.2016, which matches the VIN.
There are no scratches or any irregularities
The car was a bit dusty with rain marks.
The car is in transit mode, and though the doors were unlocked, the boot had to be manually unlocked.
The driver side floor mat was inside the boot.
The spare wheel had a full cover fitted, the one which you usually buy as an accessory.

Overall, the vehicle looks fine and brand new.

The thing that worries me is the spare wheel cover which is even painted in the body color, in perfect match. How is this already fitted on a car less than a month old? I asked about the cover, and the SA replied that the cover came as part of some pack, and would be removed by them before delivery. If I wanted it, I could pay "just" Rs. 10,700/-, a "real bargain" compared to the 13,200/- which I would otherwise be paying.

I didn't really want the spare wheel cover in the first place, but doesn't removing factory fitted items and demanding additional money to keep them on seem like cheating by the dealer? If this item was indeed fitted at the factory, then it was meant to be given with this vehicle. It's even painted the same color, whereas the accessory comes in primer finish and has to be painted at cost. Is the dealer really justified in taking off a factory fitted accessory and demanding extra for it?

They're also charging 4800/- for "essential accessories", which includes floor mats, boot mat, mud flaps, document holder, car perfume and official Ford keychain. I feel it's excessive, and I'm trying to get something else, like underbody coating by 3M.

Suggestions welcome!!

Last edited by vivekgk : 24th August 2016 at 19:50.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 21:46   #572
Senior - BHPian

It is clear that he is pulling a fast one on the spare cover. To confirm the same read the specs of the model you bought as given in a sales catalogue and it will clarify the matter.

The mats are always included with the vehicle and all dealers try and charge for them. These are the first to be thrown in when discounts are negotiated. The mud flaps too can be negotiated. The document holder, perfume and keychain you can ask him to keep and buy from an accessories shop at a fraction of the price.

While it's your money, your choice but the underbody coatings and teflon polishes are utterly useless on new vehicles.

The car's body has undergone enough processes in the paint shop to keep any rust etc at bay, in fact more than what any underbody coating can ever achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
...... I feel it's excessive, and I'm trying to get something else, like underbody coating by 3M.

Suggestions welcome!!
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 00:41   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It is clear that he is pulling a fast one on the spare cover. To confirm the same read the specs of the model you bought as given in a sales catalogue and it will clarify the matter.
The spare wheel cover is shown as an accessory on the website. The catalogue shows the spare cover fitted on the car, but also shows it as an accessory.

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-sparecover.jpg

My question is, if my vehicle is a limited edition or something that came with this accessory fitted from the factory, can the dealer take it off and charge me for it?

Quote:
The mats are always included with the vehicle and all dealers try and charge for them. These are the first to be thrown in when discounts are negotiated. The mud flaps too can be negotiated. The document holder, perfume and keychain you can ask him to keep and buy from an accessories shop at a fraction of the price.
The driver floor mat is included in the boot. It's the other three mats that the dealer is selling as a package. You're right about the other stuff though. I don't it, and it is cheap online.

Name:  keychain.JPG
Views: 496
Size:  25.3 KB

Quote:
While it's your money, your choice but the underbody coatings and teflon polishes are utterly useless on new vehicles.

The car's body has undergone enough processes in the paint shop to keep any rust etc at bay, in fact more than what any underbody coating can ever achieve.
While you are right about most modern cars being rust proof, my personal experience with under body coating is that is effectivley muffles the sounds from underneath the car, such as road/tyre/suspension/pebble noises. The Wuerth coating did a great silencing job on my Indigo for about three years.
Old 25th August 2016, 09:59   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I didn't really want the spare wheel cover in the first place, but doesn't removing factory fitted items and demanding additional money to keep them on seem like cheating by the dealer? If this item was indeed fitted at the factory, then it was meant to be given with this vehicle. It's even painted the same color, whereas the accessory comes in primer finish and has to be painted at cost. Is the dealer really justified in taking off a factory fitted accessory and demanding extra for it?
It's probably dealer fitted. If factory fitted, the Ford VIN lookup will clearly mention it: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Minor Features
Less Underbody Protection
Less Rear Mudflaps
Less Front Door Sill Protection
Less Spare Tyre Cover
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 19:02   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
It's probably dealer fitted. If factory fitted, the Ford VIN lookup will clearly mention it: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do
Thanks a lot, Hemant! I checked the site with my VIN, and it shows this in minor features:
  • Spare Tire Cover - Syle 3
I was glad, until I saw this:
  • With Conventional Spare Wheel
If I insisted on retaining the spare wheel cover as it came from the factory, I will probably have to take the non-alloy spare wheel it comes with. I called up the SA right now, confirmed that the Titanium variant does indeed come with alloy spare wheel, and informed him that I did not want the spare tyre cover, thank you very much. If he opens up the cover tomorrow and finds a steel wheel inside, I would not want to be in his shoes.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:26   #576
BHPian

Folks, I tried skimming through the thread, but was only able to find the checklist on the first page and a XL spreadsheet somewhere in page 20. is that the correct xl sheet ? I found it misaligned and difficult to read, may be I missed the correct attachment, could someone help ?
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote