Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 23:19   #481
BHPian
 
mango_pal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 139
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
If it's in good condition, and you think you'll be able to maintain it, I'd say, go for it. Make sure there aren't any tiny parts missing, they are really difficult to procure. Also, make sure that the ignition coil is original, they tend to pack up, so owners replace them with the local ones that cost about 2K as compared to about 15K for the original. The local ones give a good spark for about 6 months, and then you'll see a massive drop in the FE, so watch out.
Happy hunting!
Thanks! Are there any other things I should watch out for?
Appreciate your help

You've had your Corsa for 12 years?
How is it holding up? Besides having maintained it well, what are the lookout parts?
How much do you spend annually on maintaining it? How many days in the year does it have to be in the garage for, on an average?
mango_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 10:19   #482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 375
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

A suggestion is required
A friend is interested in buying OHC-II and want to maintain it as daily work horse. He has a charm for this car. Daily run is not that much. monthly run 1200-1500 Km. It will be more for pleasure ride.
The question is whether to go for the car this old. I am holding mine but I had bought long time back.
Is it good to buy (looking at possible repairs) and ALSO does it sound rational to install all those FFE and upgrading to 14" alloys, means spending so much on an old car which he will keep for 3-4 years?

Thanks!
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 22:41   #483
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 483
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Thanks! Are there any other things I should watch out for?
Appreciate your help

You've had your Corsa for 12 years?
How is it holding up? Besides having maintained it well, what are the lookout parts?
How much do you spend annually on maintaining it? How many days in the year does it have to be in the garage for, on an average?
False. I've had it for 9 years.
It's holding up well, no major expenses have been incurred (bless my stars). Just the regular maintenance.
Apart from the ignition coil, the electrical circuit can cause some issues, the steering rack can develop problems too, but that's about it.

I don't think I'll be able to give you an accurate figure for the maintenance, depends year to year. Last year the car was due for a major service, so the timing belt and v-belt was changed. Along with that I got the suspension done up as well. So that was quite a bit, but it would average out to about 8 or 10K per year, I suppose.

The time spent in the garage isn't very high. I never leave my car at the service centre, but it takes what can be considered a full day for the regular service, once a year. Plus the odd niggle or two has to be sorted out now and then. So all told, 2 maybe 3 days in the garage in one year.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 17:41   #484
BHPian
 
mango_pal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 139
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
False. I've had it for 9 years.
It's holding up well, no major expenses have been incurred (bless my stars). Just the regular maintenance.
Apart from the ignition coil, the electrical circuit can cause some issues, the steering rack can develop problems too, but that's about it.

I don't think I'll be able to give you an accurate figure for the maintenance, depends year to year. Last year the car was due for a major service, so the timing belt and v-belt was changed. Along with that I got the suspension done up as well. So that was quite a bit, but it would average out to about 8 or 10K per year, I suppose.

The time spent in the garage isn't very high. I never leave my car at the service centre, but it takes what can be considered a full day for the regular service, once a year. Plus the odd niggle or two has to be sorted out now and then. So all told, 2 maybe 3 days in the garage in one year.
Sorry, I thought you got it in '01.
8-10k per year is not bad at all for that car! Pretty neatly maintained I must say.
Appreciate your inputs. Might bug you later on with some further queries. If you don't mind, that is.
But for the time being, I'll take your advice into account and have a look at the car again. Still waiting for a test drive. Will probably get it by next weekend.
mango_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 01:21   #485
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 483
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Sorry, I thought you got it in '01.
8-10k per year is not bad at all for that car! Pretty neatly maintained I must say.
Appreciate your inputs. Might bug you later on with some further queries. If you don't mind, that is.
But for the time being, I'll take your advice into account and have a look at the car again. Still waiting for a test drive. Will probably get it by next weekend.
Sure, go ahead and PM me when you need further help.

A few things that might bother you during the test drive, but are of no real consequence as they are easily sorted out
1. The car will probably shudder in 1st gear. It's you, the clutch is harder to master in this car.
2. Possibly jerky acceleration. Most likely due to clogged injectors as the car is sensitive to poor quality fuel.
3. The car might seem dead below 2000 rpm. By dead I mean you'll get a distinct feeling of lack of pulling power or toque. Most likely due to a dirty air filter, dirty injectors, and poor fuel. If the car is a 1.6 and in good health, you should be able to do 30 kmph in 3rd gear without any vibrations and the car should accelerate smoothly from that point.
4. The gear shift is notchy, expect it to be so. If it is really bad, the gear linkages are probably worn out and need to be replaced. They don't cost much, so don't worry.

Happy test driving!
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 09:59   #486
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: Once
Default Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Sold my zen couple of months back and am looking at buying my next car now.
Have always felt the value of used cars in Indian markets and was extremely happy to read GTO's take on the same sometime back.
So my next car is also going to be a used car.

Here are my requirements(in priority):

1. Engine Performance
2. Handling
3. Reliability
4. Looks

Not concerned about:

1. Mileage(unless it is F1 territory )
2. Resale value when i sell (planning to keep for 3-4 years at the least)

Constraints:

1. Budget of 4 lakhs
2. Preferably 2007 or newer
3. Preferably run under 40k or nearby
4. Petrol car.

The cars i have shortlisted:

1. Fiesta - Ticks all parameters. Slightly small and cramped at rear. Average looks.
2. City Zx Vtech - Not a highway handler. Not too impressed by looks either but i guess that can grow on you.
3. Cedia - Best looker and most powerful. I am only concerned about parking at my house as my dad's 1999 honda city just about barely makes it in and cedia is lot bigger.

Don't like the looks of SX4. Handling of previous generation Verna is not at all good. Petrol Optra is not powerful(though have heard lots of good things about Optra Magnum Diesel). So have rejected these..

Now, what do you guys suggest as the best of these three based on my requirements ? I live in bangalore and prices are fairly high here and i might not find a city vtech for 4L.

PS: Does anyone know the rules for modifying a car in Karnataka. I want to repaint the car with some theme(not just stickering). Is it legal ? If not i might have to come up with design first and then find a car that resembles that color !!
baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 10:41   #487
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,318
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default Re: Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post
1. Engine Performance
2. Handling
3. Reliability
4. Looks

Not concerned about:

1. Mileage(unless it is F1 territory )
2. Resale value when i sell (planning to keep for 3-4 years at the least
Dude, onething is missing in your criteria "MAINTENANCE"
If this is not a concern, go for Cedia, else City ZX vtec will win the race.

I had a 2007 ZX vtec and sold recently. Please have a look at my ownership review
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-car-sold.html (Honda again (PreLOVED) - 2007 City ZX vtec - 50,000 kms. Update: Car Sold.)
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 12:23   #488
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 779
Thanked: 347 Times
Default Re: Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post

Now, what do you guys suggest as the best of these three based on my requirements ? I live in bangalore and prices are fairly high here and i might not find a city vtech for 4L.
Firstly, would you be ok to buy a car for less and then do it up, thus hitting your 4L budget. If so, may I suggest an esteem. My uncle sold his 2006 for a bit over 2L if memory serves me right. This was a couple of months ago. Then add 1.5 to 2L for chipping work and you have a bombshell on your hands.

If that is not the route you want, then I would pick the lancer if maintenance is not an issue. With a 2.0L engine there is more scope for mods later on. Also the car is bigger and more comfy than the other two, and probably the best handler of the three at speed on a highway. If maintenance is an issue, then the vtec. Awesome engine and decent handling, though not great. The fiesta is in between the two in handling and service and spares not great. Better than Mitsubishi though not up there with Honda.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd November 2012 at 15:32. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:29   #489
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Dude, onething is missing in your criteria "MAINTENANCE"
If this is not a concern, go for Cedia, else City ZX vtec will win the race.

I had a 2007 ZX vtec and sold recently. Please have a look at my ownership review
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-car-sold.html (Honda again (PreLOVED) - 2007 City ZX vtec - 50,000 kms. Update: Car Sold.)
Thanks for the input.
I had kind of considered reliability to take care of maintenance
Have read your ownership report. Have no complaints against City and is well-rounded car inside the city.
baluundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:19   #490
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 272
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post
1. Fiesta - Ticks all parameters. Slightly small and cramped at rear. Average looks.
2. City Zx Vtech - Not a highway handler. Not too impressed by looks either but i guess that can grow on you.
3. Cedia - Best looker and most powerful. I am only concerned about parking at my house as my dad's 1999 honda city just about barely makes it in and cedia is lot bigger.
for fun to drive i think cedia would comfortably top the list by a good margin. but its mileage IS in F1 territory. one of my uncle bought one around 5 years back. within two years he had converted it to LPG ! it was giving him around 8 kmpl !
same uncle had a city type1 (i think around 1999-2000) model and both the cars just made it inside his house. if a city fits i think a cedia would also fit. you can check the manual of both and confirm the difference in dimensions.

most of the fords that my friends have, see a lot of the garages and take up a huge amount in maitenance. i certainly would advise you to have a spare car ready if you buy a fiesta.
City is reliable and cheap to maitain but probably the least ' fun to drive' of the three.

so basically its a trade-off, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by guptavis : 2nd November 2012 at 19:21.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:36   #491
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 945 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Any chances of the Nano making it to the list?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:30   #492
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 855
Thanked: 229 Times
Default Re: Used Fiesta vs City Zx Vtech(2nd Gen) vs Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluundertaker View Post
1. Fiesta - Ticks all parameters. Slightly small and cramped at rear. Average looks.
PS: Does anyone know the rules for modifying a car in Karnataka. I want to repaint the car with some theme(not just stickering). Is it legal ? If not i might have to come up with design first and then find a car that resembles that color !!
Have you bought the car? One of my friend bought a Fiesta 1.6 2007 Zxi fully loaded for 3 L. Looks like a good deal to me, but it has some work to be done on, spending needed is about 15K.

I would pick the Fiesta for sure, there are many wrong reasons so far as maintaining it, expensive, fuel efficiency etc. But it does put a broad smile on your face every time you swing it on a twisty curve in the hills, press that right pedal on the highway. Cedia I am not sure, everything you do to it may cost you more money. City ZX is just not a drivers car even with the VTec, I'd pick a 2002-2003 VTec instead, you can do a lot with this car, think about it.

You can get the endorsement done in the RC Book with the RTO for change of colour, modifications are not permitted in law, so endorsement there.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 20:06   #493
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 715 Times
Default

^^ The fully loaded one is the SXI and not the ZXI, as far as Fiestas are concerned.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:28   #494
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AS 03 Jorhat
Posts: 2,295
Thanked: 545 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

If you are a driving nut, but the Cedia otherwise as others have said go for the City, its tolerable.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 00:14   #495
BHPian
 
Recallers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 52
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I could use some help here. I need a car ( used or new ) which meets my 5 major requirements.
* performance
This is my first priority.Any car which covers the 0 -100 mark in under 10 seconds is most welcome.
* Control
What is performance without control.
* A car which comes equipped with decent features.
* Reliable
Would like to have a car which would be reliable. I really don't wanna waste time paying my repair bills.
* mileage
Anything greater than 9kmpl ( city ).
Well the one thing which determines everything.
Size of my wallet : 8 lakhs
Recallers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees d_payne Sedans 133 29th June 2016 09:02
Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees sandipsn Sedans 34 22nd May 2016 13:11
Electric cars get subsidy booster of upto 1.0 lakh rupees echo77 The Indian Car Scene 56 7th July 2014 09:35
Kumaon: roads less traveled and forests less visited nilanjanray Route / Travel Queries 21 11th January 2013 12:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks