Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 10th June 2013, 23:08   #556
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Guys suggest some other cars preferably diesel based on my requirements.
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 15:28   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Guys suggest some other cars preferably diesel based on my requirements.
The most hot diesel is again from the same stable, Cruze is your other option, yes it will be expensive to maintain, will lose resale fast, but which enthusiast car does not. Or else buy a Rapid or Vento for the same money.
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 08:57   #558
BANNED

Guys, I was dreaming about owning a T-jet. The car came out in late 2010 am I right? So how much could I expect to pay for a 2010-2011 Linea T-jet with around 50k on the odo? Also, apart from the ground clearance of which I prefer the lower, what are the differences between the 2013 T-jet and the one released back then, any features I'd be missing out on etc.?
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 09:07   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Guys, I was dreaming about owning a T-jet. The car came out in late 2010 am I right? So how much could I expect to pay for a 2010-2011 Linea T-jet with around 50k on the odo? Also, apart from the ground clearance of which I prefer the lower, what are the differences between the 2013 T-jet and the one released back then, any features I'd be missing out on etc.?
Depends on the region where you will purchase it from.
Here up north, a Petrol Fiat has the worst possible resale value.
With it being launched again,re sale values have gone up.
akshay4587 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 09:45   #560
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Depends on the region where you will purchase it from.
Here up north, a Petrol Fiat has the worst possible resale value.
With it being launched again,re sale values have gone up.
Prices in both Hyderabad and Bangalore where I am situated are roughly the same; very high. I was hoping to get it from the Delhi ncr region since prices should be better there. Im avoiding Bombay and madras because of the coastal sea breeze. Would prices decrease when that hideous facelift comes out? If so when can we expect that?

Thanks

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th September 2013 at 09:51.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:29   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prices in both Hyderabad and Bangalore where I am situated are roughly the same; very high. I was hoping to get it from the Delhi ncr region since prices should be better there.
Any advantage in price that you get by buying from any place outside state would be offset by the huge amount of AP or KA road tax that you'll end up paying. Since road tax is computed on the ex-showroom price, it will still be high for T-Jet even if it has a low resale value.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 13:10   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prices in both Hyderabad and Bangalore where I am situated are roughly the same; very high. I was hoping to get it from the Delhi ncr region since prices should be better there. Im avoiding Bombay and madras because of the coastal sea breeze. Would prices decrease when that hideous facelift comes out? If so when can we expect that?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Any advantage in price that you get by buying from any place outside state would be offset by the huge amount of AP or KA road tax that you'll end up paying. Since road tax is computed on the ex-showroom price, it will still be high for T-Jet even if it has a low resale value.
Absolutely. AFAIK, for AP, the reg.tax payable would be 10-11% for a 2 year old car. Ex-showroom less than 10 lakhs. For cost > 10 lakhs, or if its a third car, around 2% more.

Finding a good example in your city would work out better. Dealing with RTO of 2 states, and all the re-registration headache is best avoided.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 19:13   #563
BANNED

So I shall try and stick to finding a car in Hyderabad then. How much should I expect prices to be here? I was hoping to cap it at 5.
Any issues that plague this car or that one must watch out for when looking out for one?
Does it get the thumbs up from fellow bhpians as an excellent used enthusiast's car under 6 lacs?
Old 18th September 2013, 17:28   #564
BHPian

It has been 3 1/2 years (2010 March) since I bought Tata Safari LX(2006 Make, registered in 2007) or 3.5 lakhs with only 65,000 Kms done. I want to know if that was a better deal or the vehicle has been over priced. Most of my friends were shocked when I told them about the price. They say it was very cheap. Anybody here to please throw some light on it?

Last edited by JoseVijay : 18th September 2013 at 17:29. Reason: Spelling mistakes
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 19:23   #565
BHPian

Hello,
We are looking for a used car. This would be mostly used by me and my Dad whenever he is in India. This will be my first car, though i am used to driving some hatches but now dad insisted on me taking driving classes. So the classes are on and the car search will start from December. I suddenly realized that 2 lakhs should be a good budget for fulfilling my enthusiastic thirst
These are the following requirements-
1. Budget- within 2 lakhs
2. Only Japanese make. Dad is dead against american and European manufacturers.
3. Fuel efficiency should be more than 12km/l.
4. The rear seat should be comfortable and provide good leg space. in/outgress should be easier for grandparents. (I hate the Zen for this reason. So it has been already eliminated)
5. I don't like cars going again and again to the workshop. Reliability is very important. It should be trouble free for 2-2.5 years.(that's why Japanese)
6. It has to be a petrol. No diesels. Our annual running won't be more than 2.5k-3k kms or lesser.
I really love the lancer and can find good options in Pune, but the maintenance cost is keeping me away from them. A friend having a garage said Lancer is quite expensive on the part of maintenance. Lancer owners please comment.
Apart from this the only options i have are-
1. Maruti Suzuki Esteem
2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno
3. Hyundai Accent
4. Hyundai Santro xing
I know the last two option are really not meant for petrol heads. But the main purpose is for family use, so they have been included. Is there any other car i should look at?
Thanks

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 20:57   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I really love the lancer and can find good options in Pune, but the maintenance cost is keeping me away from them. A friend having a garage said Lancer is quite expensive on the part of maintenance. Lancer owners please comment.
Apart from this the only options i have are-
1. Maruti Suzuki Esteem
2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno
3. Hyundai Accent
4. Hyundai Santro xing
I know the last two option are really not meant for petrol heads. But the main purpose is for family use, so they have been included. Is there any other car i should look at?

Asit
Don't take a plunge just because you can afford to buy a used Lancer at 2L. That would be just a fraction of what you are likely to spend on it. Lancer used to be a 9-10L car when new and you should expect the spare prices to be comparable to vehicles belonging to that segment. Also, you cannot expect a 10 year old car to be low on maintenance. So you'll need to replace the worn out or aged spares. Rubber parts, for example get stiff over the period and might need to be replaced irrespective of the distance covered by the car.

Baleno - spares availability could be a problem. Expect longer stays if you visit the workshop for procuring the parts. Also, its unlikely to return 12+ fuel efficiency.

Esteem - In/outgress is similar to Zen. Its a delight to drive but will not be comfortable for grandparents. Spares is not an issue yet though the model is discontinued.

Accent - Not really a driver's car and the rear seat is not too comfortable either. Older cars with 80k+ on odo are not really as reliable as the other options. No real reason to go for this.

Santro Xing - If budget is a constraint, its a good option and can be considered, same as Wagon R. You should get relatively newer and lower run examples for these within your budget.

Why not consider a Swift or Honda City? Both seem to check all your requirements. My guess is that a 2005-2006 model might come close to the 2L budget, though I'm not sure of the price in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
These are the following requirements-
1. Budget- within 2 lakhs
2. Only Japanese make. Dad is dead against american and European manufacturers.
3. Fuel efficiency should be more than 12km/l.
4. The rear seat should be comfortable and provide good leg space. in/outgress should be easier for grandparents. (I hate the Zen for this reason. So it has been already eliminated)
5. I don't like cars going again and again to the workshop. Reliability is very important. It should be trouble free for 2-2.5 years.(that's why Japanese)
6. It has to be a petrol. No diesels. Our annual running won't be more than 2.5k-3k kms or lesser.
You can easily ignore the fuel efficiency requirement if your annual running is ~3000km. It wouldn't make any noticeable difference to your yearly spend on fuel whether you get FE of 5 or 15.

Last edited by zenren : 24th November 2013 at 20:59.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 21:14   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Don't take a plunge just because you can afford to buy a used Lancer at 2L. That would be just a fraction of what you are likely to spend on it. Lancer used to be a 9-10L car when new and you should expect the spare prices to be comparable to vehicles belonging to that segment. Also, you cannot expect a 10 year old car to be low on maintenance. So you'll need to replace the worn out or aged spares. Rubber parts, for example get stiff over the period and might need to be replaced irrespective of the distance covered by the car.

Baleno - spares availability could be a problem. Expect longer stays if you visit the workshop for procuring the parts. Also, its unlikely to return 12+ fuel efficiency.

Esteem - In/outgress is similar to Zen. Its a delight to drive but will not be comfortable for grandparents. Spares is not an issue yet though the model is discontinued.

Accent - Not really a driver's car and the rear seat is not too comfortable either. Older cars with 80k+ on odo are not really as reliable as the other options. No real reason to go for this.

Santro Xing - If budget is a constraint, its a good option and can be considered, same as Wagon R. You should get relatively newer and lower run examples for these within your budget.

Why not consider a Swift or Honda City? Both seem to check all your requirements. My guess is that a 2005-2006 model might come close to the 2L budget, though I'm not sure of the price in Pune.

You can easily ignore the fuel efficiency requirement if your annual running is ~3000km. It wouldn't make any noticeable difference to your yearly spend on fuel whether you get FE of 5 or 15.
The high cost of spares isn't an issue until and unless it is reliable. I don't mind spending on spares once for all. If the car has niggles associated with it ( like TATA's) i stay away from them. A good Swift is really hard to find. Infact my mom is more inclined towards the Swift. So that also is an open option. She even said we can stretch the budget if you find a good Swift.
The Honda city no doubt is a good car. But it is extremely difficult to find a city in good condition. All city's i came across till date are either modified or have a list of owners on them. If i find a good OHC i certainly would pick it up.
Now about the FE. The main reason why i need the FE figures in 2 digits is because in today's condition as per our analysis the annual running would be about 3k kms, but things might change the next year in February once our native place visit starts. That would be be ~400kms/ month + city running. So the point of reliability and FE becomes important. If i get one of these sedans which have done more than 80k kms i wont keep them for more than 1.5-2 years. My search will begin in full swing from december. Will look for single owner and low run vehicles. Thanks
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 14:10   #568
BHPian

This is/was a great write up!

However, now that the times that has moved ahead, would like to hear from fellow members on ratings/ownership of cars w.r.t. 'peace of mind' if bought "today!":

1) Honda Civic (pre-2009 models) (I am looking out for this one actually)
2) Honda Accord (pre-2008 models) (the running, spares/maintenance cost scare me but I always drool on 2007 model, the 7.5 Gen)
3) Mitsubishi Cedia (Mitsubishi service, 'nuff said)
4) Old Honda City vTech (2002-2003 models)

Thanks!
Vibhanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 17:40   #569
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help needed in buying a used Mitsubishi Cedia/Honda city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Hello,
But one thing that i really admired were the cedias , a few of them were put up on sale and they looked stunningly good.
Yes. The car ages very well.
Quote:
I have seen a couple of them on the road months ago(Hardly see any now, wonder why) .
Poor sales. Hence very difficult to spot.

Quote:
I've read a few ownership threads on this forum but those were dated way back in 2008/2009.
We all hang out on this one thread.
Quote:
1)Honda city gxi/ZX(2005/2006)
2)Mitsubishi Cedia Select (2007)

It would be lovely if someone could compare these two in terms of performance, comfort, handling, maintenance, mileage. (I am not particularly bothered about the resale value).
You forgot safety and build quality. Mitsubishi did not cut corners in any department w.r.t Cedia.
Mileage:
If I drive sedately (around 80 kmph, fifth gear), on highway (such as Bangalore - Pune), Cedia gives us 16+ kmpl with a boot full with 2 adults and 1 child.
If I drive normally, on mixed roads, I get around 13.5 kmpl.
All of this with 80% AC.
In city conditions, expect between 10-12 kmpl, depending on the type of traffic that you encounter.
Considering the technology used in this old engine, I think this mileage is quite commendable.

Ride is hard. If you don't want to feel the undulations/ pot holes in city, then go for City. That car is really designed well for city use.
Handling: You all know who is the winner.
Drivability of Cedia is excellent for city and highway both.
I can pick up from 20 on 3rd gear and 30 on 4th if needed.
3rd gear can go from 20 to 60, so city driving is very easy.

Spares are expensive. What you save when buying the car, you will spend in case you need any spares.

Last edited by S_U_N : 28th November 2013 at 17:46.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 17:44   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. The car ages very well. Poor sales. Hence very difficult to spot. We all hang out on this one thread. You forgot safety and build quality. Mitsubishi did not cut corners in any department w.r.t Cedia. Mileage: If I drive sedately, on highway, Cedia gives us 16+ kmpl with a boot full with 2 adults and 1 child. If I drive normally, on mixed roads, I get around 13.5 kmpl. All of this with 80% AC. In city conditions, expect between 10-12 kmpl, depending on the type of traffic that you encounter. Considering the technology behind the engine, I think this mileage is quite commendable. Ride is hard. If you don't want to feel the undulations/ pot holes in city, then go for City. The car is really designed well for city use. Drivability of Cedia is excellent for city and highway both. I can pick up from 20 on 3rd gear and 30 on 4th if needed. 3rd gear can go from 20 to 60, so city driving is very easy. Spares are expensive. What you save when buying the car, you will spend if you need spares.

We were on holiday in Mauritius some months back and our rental car was a Cedia.
The famous rally bred Mitsubishi handling and ride did not disappoint. The engine was petrol fuelled and the car's performance too was pretty good indeed.
I loved its cornering ability and behaviour on the twisties. Very good car indeed!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote