Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 13:29   #586
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hyderbad
Posts: 8
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Buying a used Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
My suggestion - Do not rush to buy. Take your time. There are plenty of used civics in the market.
- A Torn interior is a sign of a abused car. A person who has not bothered with interiors maintenance would have also been equally negligent on servicing.
- Also from your post it is not clear if it is a manual or AT car. I take it as AT as you mention the gear indicator not working on dashboard. This could turn out to be an expensive proposition where in you might have to replace the instrument cluster.
- If you decide to buy this vehicle, please check with the honda for service history for the car & get the entire vehicle checked for issues. At this km reading there is a possibility of engine mounts not being healthy which are again expensive.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually do not have any rush to get the vehicle. Although this dealer is trying very hard to close the deal ASAP.

You're right. This is a V AT. Am getting this checked by Pride Honda tomorrow to get it checked.

I also sense a tampered Odo on this one. This situation is making me uncomfortable. Will get the engine mounts checked as suggested
aarkay28 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 17:23   #587
BHPian
 
veyron_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 382
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 2009 city (2nd gen?) that has run 72k kms. Is 72k mileage too much for this car? Any advice would be of great help.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 18:00   #588
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,008
Thanked: 2,178 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
A friend of mine is looking to buy a 2009 city (2nd gen?) that has run 72k kms. Is 72k mileage too much for this car? Any advice would be of great help.
With Japanese car 72k need not be too much. It all depends upon how well it was maintained and what the seller is quoting.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 18:03   #589
BHPian
 
veyron_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 382
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

^^looks like the car is sold now, thanks anyway. I understand that the buyer sold it for 3.75 lacs. A tad high (in chennai), i would say.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 23:48   #590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mysore
Posts: 72
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

I currently drive a (new-ish) Swift Petrol. Unfortunately, I have ergonomic issues with the car. I realised this only after I started using it for slightly longer drives and commutes. Also, I find the engine to be lack-lustre.

I'm being drawn towards an upgrade to a used Fiat Linea T-Jet. I can live with a mileage of 10kmpl in the city (I have a limited 12k / year usage). I only need a variant with airbags + ABS (Dynamic or Emotion).

What would be a good price for a T-Jet in Bangalore, which has done say 25-30k on the odo? Would something below 5L (my expected sale price for the swift) be reasonable?
qaqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 13:05   #591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hi. I know this is not ur typical enthusiast car type query. I am looking at buying a diesel vehicle around 6L that is well built, must have high ground clearance, easily repairable across India. I am planning a trip from Kanyakumari to Leh and want something that will withstand the journey and bad roads. Preferably a 4x4 that is also comfortable to drive over long distances. Any suggestions?
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 14:35   #592
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,008
Thanked: 2,178 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Hi. I know this is not ur typical enthusiast car type query. I am looking at buying a diesel vehicle around 6L that is well built, must have high ground clearance, easily repairable across India. I am planning a trip from Kanyakumari to Leh and want something that will withstand the journey and bad roads. Preferably a 4x4 that is also comfortable to drive over long distances. Any suggestions?
A 4x4 Deisel SUV for enthusiasts around 6L? Really demanding aren't you

The only way I can help you is if I am allowed to either cut out the requirement for a 4x4 SUV, or Diesel. I think if you are planning trips on rough terrain, the 4x4 SUV part ought to be adhered to so here are my picks of the cars I have known and driven (petrol only mate):

Chevrolet Forester: A rebadged Subaru Forester with a brilliant rally bred chassis and boxer engine whose low center of gravity works charms for a machine of its size and build. Effortless thing to drive and should be very reliable. Really comfy in an old-school sort of way too. Parts may be an issue though and you might have to check up on that. Another plus is that you will probably get one for way under your budget and should have a lakh or more to play with to prep your car or even put in the bank for parts.

Suzuki Grand Vitara: Really puts many other 4x4s to shame with its capabilities. Creamy motor, comfy yet simple seating, brilliant looks on the outside. Parts won't be an issue just ask any GV owner out there because service is done with the utmost care and parts are sourced asap for both the imported Suzukis. I have never had to wait more than 3-7 days for anything and considering they all have to be imported, that is quite reasonable. Same is the case with the GV if not better since it is slightly more reliable than the Kizashi too. If you go for one, sieve through the list and strike of all the 2.0 liter offerings. Nothing wrong with that engine, but the 2.4 is just more powerful and since you don't have to work the motor as much, also more fuel efficient. I think the 2.4 also came with upgraded alloys and other little bits. Enthusiastic owners might quote otherwise, but you can easily get a 2.4liter GV for 6-7

I may have left a few cars out because I might not know as much about them do let us know if there is another machine you have in mind.
Cheers and goodluck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th February 2014 at 14:36.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 15:41   #593
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 384
Thanked: 285 Times
Default ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Hi. I know this is not ur typical enthusiast car type query. I am looking at buying a diesel vehicle around 6L that is well built, must have high ground clearance, easily repairable across India. I am planning a trip from Kanyakumari to Leh and want something that will withstand the journey and bad roads. Preferably a 4x4 that is also comfortable to drive over long distances. Any suggestions?
So are you basically looking for an expedition vehicle? If yes, then I guess the following used SUVs should be good for you-
1. Tata Safari 4wd- if you can live with the niggles, heavy weight and poor
Braking then safari is a good option. It is the most comfortable of all and TASS is widespread so procuring spares won't be a problem.

2. Mitsubishi Pajero sfx- It literally is a mountain goat which makes it suitable for leh. It would
Be comfortable and would suffice your requirements of a good 4x4. The on-road performance ain't that good though. It is very reliable and as it is
Completely mechanical any road side mechanic can work on it. The on-road performance could be enhanced with the help of the change of the existing mechanical fuel pump to an electronic fuel pump. I read somewhere on the forum itself. This according to me is the best option.

3. Mahindra Scorpio- If you can find a non-mhawk 4wd it would be a good option. Scorpios are reliable and again mahindra's spares won't be much of an issue. The only downside is the space and the comfort which I guess can be worked upon with the help of a modified suspension. Though the 4x4 gurus can guide you better on that, I am not sure about it.

I could have had suggested the endeavour, bolero.etc to but I
Haven't found them Comfortable for such long journeys due to the leaf springs at the rear.

You also should check out the xenon 4x4 launched recently with the 3.0 engine.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 18th February 2014 at 15:43.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 23:00   #594
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Hi Asit. Thanks for you detailed and well balanced response. Im most drawn to the Pajero as well for all the reasons you have cited. Spacious sturdy and reliable. Im going to hunt out a well maintained low mileage bargain - i know its quite impossible. But there are 9 to 10 yr old vehicles with around 100k on the clock going for around 5L. Some more recent 2007 versions going for 7L with about 80k to 90k on the clock. Need to research the model history upgrades etc to pick the right year and recheck the cost benefit. Also not sure what kinda mileage they give or the cost of spares. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A 4x4 Deisel SUV for enthusiasts around 6L? Really demanding aren't you

The only way I can help you is if I am allowed to either cut out the requirement for a 4x4 SUV, or Diesel. I think if you are planning trips on rough terrain, the 4x4 SUV part ought to be adhered to so here are my picks of the cars I have known and driven (petrol only mate):

Chevrolet Forester: A rebadged Subaru Forester with a brilliant rally bred chassis and boxer engine whose low center of gravity works charms for a machine of its size and build. Effortless thing to drive and should be very reliable. Really comfy in an old-school sort of way too. Parts may be an issue though and you might have to check up on that. Another plus is that you will probably get one for way under your budget and should have a lakh or more to play with to prep your car or even put in the bank for parts.

Suzuki Grand Vitara: Really puts many other 4x4s to shame with its capabilities. Creamy motor, comfy yet simple seating, brilliant looks on the outside. Parts won't be an issue just ask any GV owner out there because service is done with the utmost care and parts are sourced asap for both the imported Suzukis. I have never had to wait more than 3-7 days for anything and considering they all have to be imported, that is quite reasonable. Same is the case with the GV if not better since it is slightly more reliable than the Kizashi too. If you go for one, sieve through the list and strike of all the 2.0 liter offerings. Nothing wrong with that engine, but the 2.4 is just more powerful and since you don't have to work the motor as much, also more fuel efficient. I think the 2.4 also came with upgraded alloys and other little bits. Enthusiastic owners might quote otherwise, but you can easily get a 2.4liter GV for 6-7

I may have left a few cars out because I might not know as much about them do let us know if there is another machine you have in mind.
Cheers and goodluck!
Hi Ishaan. Yes im pretty demanding and know the impossible question i had asked. Youve made some interesting suggestions. Im aware of the merits of the subaru forester and the rallying pedigree. My only concern is the petrol. Im shelling out close to 12k per month on petrol for my polo. I do about 40km a day excluding long distance trips. So really keen on bringing down these running costs especially on a 10000 km journey. Re the GV did it come with a diesel option? I agree it is quite a nice looking vehicle although a bit smallish compared to full size suvs. I should look into this more to check the ground clearance ride etc.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th February 2014 at 07:10. Reason: back to back posts
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 10:12   #595
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 384
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Hi shireeshjacobs,
You can expect about 7-9kmpl in the city and about 10-12kmpl on the highways. As far as I know the spares of the Pajero were never a problem. You can get them with the authorised dealers and outside too!
If possible do get a BS3 Pajero you will be having 10hp more than the BS4 Pajero's. I guess the older BS2 Pajero's were 125hp's but well maintained examples are very rare.
If you are too keen on having abs and airbags then you should look out for a pajero manufactured after 2007.
Please refer to Ricky_63's Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 which will help you a lot.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 13:09   #596
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,008
Thanked: 2,178 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Re the GV did it come with a diesel option? I agree it is quite a nice looking vehicle although a bit smallish compared to full size suvs. I should look into this more to check the ground clearance ride etc.
Nah sorry mate. Suzuki never bothered bringing any other diesel apart from the 1.3 multijet. Abroad the car is sold with a 1.9liter diesel but here in India you only had the J20B and the upgraded J24B with variable valve timing. The J24B as I said, is the more fuel efficient and powerful version of the two. Mileage might not be that brilliant though my Kizashi with the same engine albeit with a few upgrades, gives about 10-12 in the city and 12-14 on the highway. The GV with more weight and full time four wheel drive should probably give only about 8-9 and 9-11. You could perhaps look into importing the 1.9 Diesel unit though I have no experience in such matters

Ofcourse as Asit pointed out, the Pajero which I have missed out because while I love the thing, it is a bit cumbersome in the city and getting one in good condition for 6 lakhs might be a task. The car is also very old and fares poorly in comparison to the others in terms of crash safety. As an off-road focused machine though, nothing comes close. Perhaps you could try an Endeavor? While the thing was a positively unrefined american truck to drive, it had its charms and the only complaint I had about it was the low bench and lack of under-thigh support.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:33   #597
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Hi all, i already drive a Swift 2009 vdi, and own another Honda accord 2.4 at 2004. I had a budget of 2lakhs for a 3rd car. the options im getting are
Merc E class 2001 4th owner says the running is 47000 km
Camry 2003 1st owner but odo of 1 lakh plus
SX4 2007 2nd owner lxi 1 lakh km plus
Honda Accord V6 3.0 2003 45000 2nd owner

Im really confused. Which of these should i go for.
Maintainence and status both are important
saksh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:50   #598
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,008
Thanked: 2,178 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by saksh4 View Post
Hi all, i already drive a Swift 2009 vdi, and own another Honda accord 2.4 at 2004. I had a budget of 2lakhs for a 3rd car. the options im getting are
Merc E class 2001 4th owner says the running is 47000 km
Camry 2003 1st owner but odo of 1 lakh plus
SX4 2007 2nd owner lxi 1 lakh km plus
Honda Accord V6 3.0 2003 45000 2nd owner

Im really confused. Which of these should i go for.
Maintainence and status both are important
2Lakhs for a 3rd car which is maintenance free and comes with an aura of stature? Unless this is a project, I believe this to be a really silly endeavor. That being said;

The Merc really won't be easy on maintenance .

A 2003 Camry is just old and looks quite stupid today. I don't think it bestows the owner with any sort of status at all today.

The SX4 will be my only recommendation but you can easily do better than a 2nd owner lxi variant with 1lac+ on the odo

V6 Accord is good and if it has a genuine 45000km readout then that's perfectly alright BUT if you have one already, what's the point? The V6 is only if you like the performance. it won't win you any nods from kurta clad uncles at a wedding. Go for it only if you really love the performance.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd February 2014 at 17:51.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:46   #599
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

thanx Ishaanian for your input. I have seen a few other during the day. I have made a new topic about it as well. But will surely think about your answers too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...2-5-lakhs.html (Buying a used Luxury Car below 2.5 Lakhs)
saksh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:17   #600
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,195
Thanked: 9,234 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by saksh4 View Post

Merc E class 2001 4th owner says the running is 47000 km
Camry 2003 1st owner but odo of 1 lakh plus
SX4 2007 2nd owner lxi 1 lakh km plus
Honda Accord V6 3.0 2003 45000 2nd owner
Mercedes E class and SX4 is ruled out IMO.

The Camry being a Toyota will be rugged and reliable even with 1L on the odo. I can trust that car but do have a detailed look at it before paying the money.

Since you have an Accord already no point in having the same again.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees d_payne Sedans 133 29th June 2016 09:02
Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees sandipsn Sedans 34 22nd May 2016 13:11
Electric cars get subsidy booster of upto 1.0 lakh rupees echo77 The Indian Car Scene 56 7th July 2014 09:35
Kumaon: roads less traveled and forests less visited nilanjanray Route / Travel Queries 21 11th January 2013 12:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks