Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 15th July 2016, 22:26   #691
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post
Yep.Will try and get it verified through the service records. Will also see the ABC pedals for any signs of wear. I'm not aware if there is any simple device which can let one know of the original odo kms. But that might be just me. May be other Bhpians can throw some more light on this.
How did the Skoda Laura turn out?
jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 15:13   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Since most workshops have a centralised database, the easiest thing to do is call up any one of them and say that your car number is such and such and that you'd like to know what was done to the car at the last visit and when. You'll have all the information you need to make an informed buy.
Yes. A call to the ASS will be done straight after the inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
How did the Skoda Laura turn out?
It is rescheduled for tomorrow morning. Was heading towards the address and my manager called up. Had to leave things in between. No point rescheduling it to the evening as per the TBhp checklist. Will post the findings tomorrow.
MacBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 22:51   #693
BHPian

Here's a what happened during the visit:

Was supposed to reach at 10 AM but to my excitement reached at 9:30. Met the owner at 9:50 and saw the vehicle. Observations as below:

1. The vehicle had minor scratches on the right rear fender - Can be ignored
2. Some more scratches on the rear bumper - Can be ignored
3. Both the doors on the passenger side had a deep line on them as if it had brushed against some sharp object. Possibly a sharp stone or a Vikram - Need to be fixed. Frequent application of water will cause rusting in ~1 year time
4. To my surprise, the front bumper was clean
5. Opened the bonnet to see clean engine bay. Testified the fact that the car was serviced only recently. (28th May to be precise). Everything was put nicely there so no complaints. - Battery will soon need replacement!
6. Went to the tyres and they looked hard. Checked the manufacturing date and they turned out to be of Nov 2011 make - Need to be changed due to hardness and very low grip levels
7. Front pax side alloy had minor chips - Can be ignored
8. The discs had signs of rust owing to lower usage, but it looked as if proper cleaning and anti rust treatment would take it away - No major concern
9. The boot had the unused spare and almost rusted toolkit which as per the owner was never put to use - Buy new toolkit
10. Went inside to see the well kept interiors and everything reeked "low usage". The cabin was well kept with all the button showing proper markings with ABC pedals and Gear Knob showing less usage - Need to invest in good quality mats as the car had OEM fabric mats which were dying
11. All the Air con vents were throwing proper and consistent air with the adjustment rotors working fine. The action of ORVM's and knobs was all good
12. Brought the engine to life with the hood open and it settled in a nice humm. The acceleration was consistent with the inputs provided
13. Off we went for the drive and the only thing that I could hear was some rattling noise from the boot. Moved certain things here and there and they went off! This seriously is the best petrol engine on this side of BMW league!!
14. Checked the paperwork and the RC mentioned - Leased/Hypothecated to Skoda India - Don't know what it meant. The owner mentioned that the car was bought on full payment with no finance facility

We got down to the price and I started with 5.5L. The owner refused to move below 6.25L and I excused myself and bought some time. The estimate of all the immediate repair work needed was making it difficult for me to hold a case for the car. A quick look at the finances and I could barely add any more Vitamins. Went back to the owner and mentioned that the best possible is ~5.75L. Waiting to hear from the owner now. Not sure if it is a good deal even at 6L given all of the above.

The love of 1.8 is just too difficult to let go off!!!
Old 18th July 2016, 02:47   #694
BHPian

From the sounds of it, it seems to be a nice clean car. You might want to make sure there is no trouble from the "Leased/Hypothecated to Skoda India" quote in the RC because that line shouldn't be there if the car was paid in full. Other than that, I think your offer is completely fair and you shouldn't fork over more than 5.5L to 5.75L since cars of similar mileage and year are selling for about the same.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 18th July 2016, 08:00   #695
BHPian

Have you looked at any Accord V6 yet?
Those are the ones I am going to look for when I am looking for my next car.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 10:07   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The love of 1.8 is just too difficult to let go off!!!
I told you so!

From your post, sounds like a clean car to me (other than that Lease thingy). Make sure to cross-check on that. Other than this, I think 6L is still a good final offer to make, I hope you understand that the kind of expenses you are looking at (some paintwork, battery, tires etc) are sort of expenses all pre-owned car buyers keep in mind since the car would surely require some of these either immediately or in short time period.

I personally wouldn't let a good clean vehicle go by for a price difference of 10-20k. Used car market is unpredictable and you never know what other options will be there for you (but that's my personal opinion).

It requires hell lot of patience to wait for another worthy car to come up in market, and I follow the rule that I ought to pick up the best one among the available options at the time I am in market for, period.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 00:55   #697
BHPian

Quote:
No point rescheduling it to the evening as per the TBhp checklist.
Hey MacBa, I am going to look at a Skoda Laura tomorrow myself. Is there any TBhp checklists for used Skoda Lauras? Any model specific problems to look out for? I've been trying to search the forum but really didn't find much.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:27   #698
BHPian

Smile Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
It requires hell lot of patience to wait for another worthy car to come up in market, and I follow the rule that I ought to pick up the best one among the available options at the time I am in market for, period.
Agree to it 100%! Between a sudden travel plan has landed me to Thailand. Don't know how things will shape up now. I've informed the buyer of this already and shared by contact details. The purchase is on hold till I verify the documents. No discussion on price as yet!

Quote:
Hey MacBa, I am going to look at a Skoda Laura tomorrow myself. Is there any TBhp checklists for used Skoda Lauras? Any model specific problems to look out for? I've been trying to search the forum but really didn't find much.
No ready checklist for a Laura. I borrowed the point on seeing the car in daylight rather than under any artificial lighting as it can hide some minor nips and tucks which may be otherwise visible. In case it is a TSI, take a comprehensive test drive and don't cut on the distance part. Drive it in mixed conditions to see if any clutch work is needed and the engine is behaving as desired on an open stretch. Look for detailed service history especially parts. As suggested by Ace 355, check the AC compressor if its working fine. The car seems to be hard to rattle given the quality, so shut down the music system and drive slowly on a patch of road. If you hear noises (other than normal suspension etc.) they may be signs of abuse. Check tyres for the make year and wear pattern (may reflect abuse). Do check the engine oil level before you start driving if its a low run car. One needs to top up the oil between services as reported by fellow owner bhpians - This will also hint towards upkeep. If possible, try and get the car inspected by Skoda ASS even if it may mean cost.

All the Best!
Old 19th July 2016, 13:57   #699
BHPian

Another point that I missed above - Check if the car has fog lamps if its a 2011 model. Some of the earlier 2011 cars didn't come equipped with fogs. I have also heard of dealers converting the base TSI models to Ambiente trim by adding some features. Be aware of it.
Old 19th July 2016, 18:11   #700
BHPian

Here's my quick report for the Skoda Laura I looked at,

I need to have a special mention to Spinny for their expert PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) service which can be availed for Rs 750/- which is a minuscule cost when making a purchase involving lakhs of money. I further tipped the car expert Rs 250/- for his excellent service because even though he was scheduled for an hour, he ended up spending the better half of 3 hours so that inspection and report is of the highest quality. Their services can be found through www.myspinny.com and include a full report on the external and internals of the car, which is just short of taking the car to the ASS which is going to be next.

So as for the Laura, it was a MY12 with 15k odd mileage. The Spinny expert helped me examine each and every physical aspect of the car including taking pictures from every angle possible. I also brought along with me a OBDII port reader which when paired with the Torque Pro app, can check for missing fault codes which might've been hidden otherwise. The car came out clean with 0 fault codes. After a test drive where both me and the Spinny expert drove the car, we excused ourselves and discussed the car in private. He approved of the car and said that the mileage and use seems genuine although the front bumper is in fact repainted when the owner claims that no repair or repainting has ever been done to the car. It was a surprise to me but he explained that sometimes even the owner doesn't know if and when his car parts are repainted because if the dealership manages to put a few scratches while the car is in service, they usually just throw some paint on it to hide it. He said he knew this because he has worked for Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Skoda, Volkswagen, etc in the past and this is what everyone does.

The only things that are wrong with the car are that 3/5 tires of the car have been run on low pressure/punctures which has made the tires not recommended for further long use as bubbling can occur. This was something that the Spinny expert pointed out and I had no idea about. Next were some scuff marks of the left side of the car and 2 small dents on the roof which might've been caused due to hail or something falling on top of the car. To be honest, this is all that we were able to find that was wrong with the car, which is pretty dope.

Something that bugged me personally about the car is that there was an aftermarket HU fitted which was just plain weird to use. I am going to ask the owner if he still has the stock HU or maybe his reasoning behind installing the aftermarket HU. I feel like the aftermarket HU means that the electrical wires have been tampered with, which might not be a good thing. I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

But after that, I left the place and told them that I would be calling back with an offer. I called the Skoda ASS and asked for service history and they confirmed the low mileage of the car. I am still waiting to see my dad and discuss the car with him because he will be driving the car as well and needs to approve. If he approves I plan on taking the car to Skoda ASS tomorrow and ask what amount of repairs would be required to bring it to the best condition possible, after considering that amount, I will be making an offer. Even the lowest offer that the seller has mentioned to me is totally worth the car to me, but I feel like I can get a better price still once I bring my discoveries to the table.

Let me know if anyone has any advice for me moving forward!
Old 20th July 2016, 11:22   #701
BHPian

Quote:
The only things that are wrong with the car are that 3/5 tires of the car have been run on low pressure/punctures which has made the tires not recommended for further long use as bubbling can occur. This was something that the Spinny expert pointed out and I had no idea about. Next were some scuff marks of the left side of the car and 2 small dents on the roof which might've been caused due to hail or something falling on top of the car. To be honest, this is all that we were able to find that was wrong with the car, which is pretty dope.

Something that bugged me personally about the car is that there was an aftermarket HU fitted which was just plain weird to use. I am going to ask the owner if he still has the stock HU or maybe his reasoning behind installing the aftermarket HU. I feel like the aftermarket HU means that the electrical wires have been tampered with, which might not be a good thing. I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

But after that, I left the place and told them that I would be calling back with an offer. I called the Skoda ASS and asked for service history and they confirmed the low mileage of the car. I am still waiting to see my dad and discuss the car with him because he will be driving the car as well and needs to approve. If he approves I plan on taking the car to Skoda ASS tomorrow and ask what amount of repairs would be required to bring it to the best condition possible, after considering that amount, I will be making an offer. Even the lowest offer that the seller has mentioned to me is totally worth the car to me, but I feel like I can get a better price still once I bring my discoveries to the table.
To me, you seem to be on the right track. Fellow Bhpians invited for expert comments. How much for removing the dents on roof? Has the car been parked in open spaces? How much has the seller quoted?
Old 20th July 2016, 12:45   #702
BHPian

Quote:
How much for removing the dents on roof? Has the car been parked in open spaces? How much has the seller quoted?
The dents on the roof can honestly be ignored, because they're small and only noticeable when someone tries to catch the reflection of the roof. The buyer was initially asking for 6.95L in the ad, on second try he said he expects something between 6.25-6.5L. I have asked to take the car to the service center for a checkup before making my final offer.
Old 21st July 2016, 11:14   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Have you looked at any Accord V6 yet?
Those are the ones I am going to look for when I am looking for my next car.
Sorry rdst_1..missed your comment. Not looking at an Accord. Not a very big fan of Honda in that segment especially when the car is not meant for only family duties.
Old 21st July 2016, 15:02   #704
BHPian

Got some free time today and decoded the VIN no. as mentioned on the RC of the car.

The 6th character read C and the 10th character read B.

The car was only registered in Jan 2012.

Not sure if the car was used for TD purposes before it found its owner. The owner is not sure of the mileage that the car had clocked when he took the delivery.

Can there be any foul play or I'm being too finicky! Don't want to risk it with a Skoda.

Going back home next week and will take the car to the ASS for a detailed check on the parts and history. We zeroed onto a Na Teri Na Meri price of 5.9L.
Old 23rd July 2016, 14:31   #705
BHPian

Don't worry about the late registration because starting in late 2011/2012 people knew about the upcoming Octavia and Skoda had a tough time moving Lauras off the lot. I talked to the service advisor at Skoda and he told me that 2012 produced Lauras are pretty rare because Skoda stopped production for the Laura in early 2012.

Same pinch on the price though lol