Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 22:28   #736
BHPian
 
rock18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Guys.. Among New Fiesta diesel and Linea Tjet. Which one is more fun to drive or the better all round car? . Both the cars are coming under similar pricing i.e under 6L, in the used car market.
or if we can extend the budget a little bit, does used Ecosport Ecoboost makes sense?
This car will be mainly used on highways.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 23:43   #737
BHPian
 
13thpsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

As far as I know the Ecoboost is unfortunately not exciting enough to drive as it sounds on paper. IMO you should get the Fiesta, engine wise it's great. I know of the petrol 1.6, it is brilliant to drive. The t-jet is great as well feels a little underpowered but handling and ride is far superior. Take your pick bud!
13thpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 11:06   #738
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Guys.. Among New Fiesta diesel and Linea Tjet. Which one is more fun to drive or the better all round car? .
The Linea rides better, and has a little more space on the inside. Fiesta 1.6 handles way better, responds to throttle inputs better, steers more precisely, maintains it's composure in corners better, has a spot on driving position and a far superior gearbox in terms of slickness, throw and ratios. If you need a car for the family, the Linea T-Jet is great. If you want the best driver's car this side of the D-segment, nothing beats the Fiesta 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
The t-jet is great as well feels a little underpowered but handling and ride is far superior. Take your pick bud!
The T-Jet is pretty fast as long as you know how to drive a small turbo petrol and get over that rubbish Fiat gearbox. You're completely wrong about handling being better though. Only the ride is. Handling while brilliant is not a patch on the go-kart like steering of the Fiesta.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th September 2016 at 11:09.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 13:16   #739
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,254
Thanked: 5,461 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
...Also, where should I look for advertisements? Cartrade postings always seem to be done by dealers and on olx it seems very difficult to get to what you want. I'm looking at BHP classifieds too...
There are a bunch of forum like gearheads etc where you can look at the classifieds. Plus, you may engage a broker who'll do the ground work for you.

I guess you can find some trustworthy guys if you go through the directory section in team-bhp.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 16:13   #740
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

why not look at a linea t- jet - its still in production, spares are inexpensive, service is good and is a better drive than the fiesta and the civic. I bought one at less than the price of an alto and am very happy about it
varadha_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 21:37   #741
BHPian
 
niranjanrvce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 307
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The T-Jet is pretty fast as long as you know how to drive a small turbo petrol and get over that rubbish Fiat gearbox. You're completely wrong about handling being better though. Only the ride is. Handling while brilliant is not a patch on the go-kart like steering of the Fiesta.
Well there are caveats. I happen to own both the Fiesta 1.6 in a 122bhp tune and a 2011 T-Jet in a 145bhp tune. The caveat is that the T-jet was a brilliant handler before the GC update where the car was raised to look like it is on stilts. Obviously the body roll ruined a lot of the fun post that.
Here's my take on them assuming a pre-stilts T-Jet:
Steering:
The Fiesta's steering has much quicker gearing and when you combine that with a smaller turning radius, you have an extremely agile car that is basically point and shoot. The T-Jet is a much longer car and also suffers from a slower steering that can make it seem like you need more effort to change directions rapidly. But, if you make the steering effort, the T-Jet will happily hold it's line. Both are proper hydraulic units, give enough feedback and weigh up nicely. The T-Jet's steering is heavier though. No other car in this segment can match these two for steering feel. By some distance.
Gearbox:
No contest, the Fiesta 1.6. I cry when I remember the T-Jet 'box.
Handling:
First off, both cars need better tyres than stock ones especially the T-Jet. Having done that, the Fiesta's more fun in tighter, slower ghats where the 2nd gear is mainly in play. The Linea is more fun through faster corners, especially if you are climbing up. The Jet's best gear is the 3rd and if that is in play, then it's the king of the hill, literally. Both are superb handlers and will hold the line even when the tyres are screaming non stop. The Fiesta rides lower and feels slightly more connected to the road though. It does feel a little more skittish if the surface through a corner is not perfect while the Jet will just keep going into the corner with no drama. The superb 4 disc brakes on the Jet help you shed speed much faster - so you can brake much later for a corner than the Fiesta. If you drive hard in twisties, this is a big bonus.
Engine:
The T-Jet is significantly faster, especially if you remap it. Especially post 100 kmph. The Fiesta has a beautiful high revving engine with significantly better throttle response and is really quick to a 100 with some minor mods. The NA engine is also more difficult to extract too much power through mods since a remap doesn't do anything without a Turbo. Where that beautiful NA engine helps is that you can almost have two 'right' gears in many corners when driving hard. 6000rpm in 2nd or 4500rpm in 3rd - take your pick based on how much engine braking you want and how you are going to gun the exit. The T-Jet will have one right gear - a higher gear and you are still spooling the Turbo up properly and a lower gear will take it above 5500 rpm which the Jet doesn't like much. In a real life highway drive, the Jet will be faster because of all the additional Torque from the turbo. In the city, I would pick the Fiesta anyday.

Darn, I didn't intend to write such a long post but that's the kind of joy these two give that I just kept typing.

PS: If you have/get a T-Jet, you must remap it. The annoying Turbo-lag in city will be gone - you cant take speed bumps in 3rd gear. It will revv much more happily. And it will fly faster on open roads.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 27th September 2016 at 21:41. Reason: Spelling
niranjanrvce is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 22:19   #742
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa/Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Well there are
Man Everytime I read your post, it reminds me that your Fiesta vs City thread was the key driver in my purchase towards Fiesta. Please expect some PMs
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 16:19   #743
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Steering:
The Fiesta's steering has much quicker gearing and when you combine that with a smaller turning radius, you have an extremely agile car that is basically point and shoot. The T-Jet is a much longer car and also suffers from a slower steering that can make it seem like you need more effort to change directions rapidly. But, if you make the steering effort, the T-Jet will happily hold it's line. Both are proper hydraulic units, give enough feedback and weigh up nicely. The T-Jet's steering is heavier though. No other car in this segment can match these two for steering feel. By some distance.
Agree about the Linea's steering being slower. That is on of the reasons why it loses out on the fun to drive factor in comparison to a Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Gearbox:
No contest, the Fiesta 1.6. I cry when I remember the T-Jet 'box.
Fully agree again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Handling:
First off, both cars need better tyres than stock ones especially the T-Jet. Having done that, the Fiesta's more fun in tighter, slower ghats where the 2nd gear is mainly in play. The Linea is more fun through faster corners, especially if you are climbing up. The Jet's best gear is the 3rd and if that is in play, then it's the king of the hill, literally. Both are superb handlers and will hold the line even when the tyres are screaming non stop. The Fiesta rides lower and feels slightly more connected to the road though. It does feel a little more skittish if the surface through a corner is not perfect while the Jet will just keep going into the corner with no drama. The superb 4 disc brakes on the Jet help you shed speed much faster - so you can brake much later for a corner than the Fiesta. If you drive hard in twisties, this is a big bonus.
Now this is where I disagree. As long as the roads are good, the Fiesta 1.6S trumps the Linea T-Jet both in tight ghat sections as well as fast corners. Just because the Linea makes you feel more cocooned while going around a mild curve at high speeds, doesn't mean it is the better handler. Just makes it seem easier that's all. Agree about the skittishness mid-corner if the roads aren't great in the Fiesta since the ride isn't as plush but that aids the body's stiffness through the good corners. I have even driven the Punto Abarth with lowered suspension that is sold in India and found it simply too heavy. Same goes for the Linea it needs a sway bar and strut brace in order to hide all that weight. The heft and plush suspension (while better than most in the segment I find it too soft for it to compete with the Fiesta) means that keeping the movement of the car's weight in check, is quite a task and cornering at the limits becomes more of a calculated maneuver compared to the natural go-kart like feel of the Fiesta. Braking is definitely better on the Linea but if you are talking about upgrading tyres then why not the brakes too? While sheer stopping force is undoubtedly much much better in the Linea. I found trail-braking to be far easier in the Fiesta and I put it down to the awkward weight shifting and balance of the Linea that robs it of such capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Engine:
The T-Jet is significantly faster, especially if you remap it. Especially post 100 kmph. The Fiesta has a beautiful high revving engine with significantly better throttle response and is really quick to a 100 with some minor mods. The NA engine is also more difficult to extract too much power through mods since a remap doesn't do anything without a Turbo. Where that beautiful NA engine helps is that you can almost have two 'right' gears in many corners when driving hard. 6000rpm in 2nd or 4500rpm in 3rd - take your pick based on how much engine braking you want and how you are going to gun the exit. The T-Jet will have one right gear - a higher gear and you are still spooling the Turbo up properly and a lower gear will take it above 5500 rpm which the Jet doesn't like much. In a real life highway drive, the Jet will be faster because of all the additional Torque from the turbo. In the city, I would pick the Fiesta anyday.
Agree 100%

Adding up all these factors: slower steering, less balanced body weight, slower throttle response, difficulty trail-braking, and god-awful gearbox, means that for me, while the Linea may be capable of 85% of the things the Fiesta does well and even more capable in terms of outright power and torque and comfort, it simply is not as fun to drive. The quick steering, snappy throttle response, perfectly balanced weight and more controlled body in corners are the little things in life that may not necessarily make a car faster around a track considering it has less power and less outright braking force, but certainly makes the Fiesta the more captivating car to drive.

PS: No offense meant. I understand you own both. I own neither but have hooned about extensively in both and these are just my views on the matter

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th September 2016 at 16:24.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 20:06   #744
BHPian
 
rock18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Well there are caveats. I happen to own both the Fiesta 1.6 in a 122bhp tune and a 2011 T-Jet in a 145bhp tune.

Darn, I didn't intend to write such a long post but that's the kind of joy these two given that I just kept typing.

PS: If you have/get a T-Jet, you must remap it. The annoying Turbo-lag in city will be gone - you cant take speed bumps in 3rd gear. It will revv much more happily. And it will fly faster on open roads.
That is as detailed as i can get .Thanks for your inputs. These two cars have their own fan following.
Here i am asking about the Global Fiesta Diesel. As per the reviews, New Petrol fiesta 1.5 is nowhere fun as the old fiesta 1.6.so i was considering the diesel.
So is the new fiesta as good as the old one?
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 20:13   #745
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,196 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
So is the new fiesta as good as the old one?
You mean the 1.5 diesel? Well it's not as good, but still better steering than the Linea and the new Fiesta rides much better than the old one over our undulated roads. Braking is excellent and for a diesel, power delivery is nice a linear. However in my opinion a diesel can almost never be better than a Petrol to drive. Test out both and see which you like because at the end of the day posting here will only get you everyone else's opinions and you need to form your own.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 08:55   #746
BHPian
 
lancersfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 23 Times
Cool Re: Civic or City Vtec (type2) or Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
-

Out of these choices Toyota Corolla wins the league with it's proven quality, space, decent performance, better GC & visibility (comparatively) and fits perfectly in your budget.
Long sleepless nights, arduous search for tons of honda city's (both type1 OHC and type 2 Vtec) I've settled in for a Blue Toyota Corolla 2003 H2 model. Single owner run for 72000kms. I had a top end (zxi) model of Ford Ikon earlier and most of the 'top end' features either were missing or didn't work as expected. The car overall is in good condition.

Cons (Or Rather pending issues):
1. Right wheel has knocking noise. (probably the ball joint/lowerarm/suspension)
2. Rear left wheel has a sound as if some sort of metal plate is loose and it has no pattern but just appears at random. Needs more inspection.
3. Front bumper on the right needs a re-fit as there is a considerable gap between it and the headlight.
4. Rear tyres need replacement but going by the looks there is still about 8-10k kms life left on it.
5. Windshield might need replacement. Will check first if there's a buffing available that might improve it.

Pros:
The twin headlight design with dedicated high beam section.
Motorized mirrors.
Airbags
All 4 discs with supreme braking power
AC a super chiller
Great GC
Very good OEM music system. But no aux/USB.
Seat fabric offers great comfort (not a fan of leather)
lancersfx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 09:14   #747
BHPian
 
lancersfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Civic or City Vtec (type2) or Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Long sleepless nights, arduous search for tons of honda city's (both type1 OHC and type 2 Vtec) I've settled in for a Blue Toyota Corolla 2003 H2 model. Single owner run for 72000kms. I had a top end (zxi) model of Ford Ikon earlier and most of the 'top end' features either were missing or didn't work as expected. The car overall is in good condition.

Cons (Or Rather pending issues):
1. Right wheel has knocking noise. (probably the ball joint/lowerarm/suspension)
2. Rear left wheel has a sound as if some sort of metal plate is loose and it has no pattern but just appears at random. Needs more inspection.
3. Front bumper on the right needs a re-fit as there is a considerable gap between it and the headlight.
4. Rear tyres need replacement but going by the looks there is still about 8-10k kms life left on it.
5. Windshield might need replacement. Will check first if there's a buffing available that might improve it.

Pros:
The twin headlight design with dedicated high beam section.
Motorized mirrors.
Airbags
All 4 discs with supreme braking power
AC a super chiller
Great GC
Very good OEM music system. But no aux/USB.
Seat fabric offers great comfort (not a fan of leather)

Status update 28th Oct 2016 :: The Front struts and the strut mount plates turned out to be an issue. The strut had no action left. One could use the little finger and push the rod without any effort. This explains the bounciness of the car on undulating roads as it was solely supported by the coil springs. Surprising to see the strut mount plate contains a sealed bearing. 4.2K for each plate . Then the struts (only the suspension) changed for the front. Coil springs retained. Fuel filter and gasket replaced. All fluids flushed and replaced. Air filter replaced. Spark plugs replaced, AC cowl cleansed. Decarbonisation done. Vehicle is good for another 10-15k kms before the rear tyres need replacing. Total bill for repair 33k.

Pending issues:
3. Front bumper on the right needs a re-fit as there is a considerable gap between it and the headlight. A special bracket is missing on which the bumper mounts, So this has to be orderd (3k). The vehicle is good to run even without that i've been told.

Right power window works intermittently. On rolling it up, it goes halfway and stalls and after a couple of mins, try again and it works normal The motor cost if it needs to be replaced. 14K.

Drive seat track, there seems to be slippage which i missed mentioning earlier. Need to inspect.

Apart from this, it is a gem of a car and took it for the first long drive of 28kms to office. Now eagerly waiting for the end of my shift so i can drive it back. Woohoo!!
lancersfx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 16:33   #748
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 150
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

No new additions for a long time on this thread. Can Chevy Cruze be added. Have seen a lot of examples around the 6L mark and with the 164 horses on tap definitely an enthusiast's car.
knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 21:16   #749
BHPian
 
Swarit19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Writing this here as I wasn't able to find much myself. I looked on olx and could not find any fiesta 1.6s on sale but is there any difference between that and say a classic 1.6 or the older 1.6?

Do all of them have HPS? (Hydraulic Power Steering) Are there many if any mechanical differences that can't be taken care of with extra care (mods) after being bought? Are parts quite hard to source for it? Would it be better to go to the ford showroom itself and their used car section or keep looking for examples at other used car dealers. Last but not the least, are honest examples with 60k km's bad compared to some tampered odo's with 30k?

I'm thinking hard about it strictly as a toy because my jaw dropped when I saw how low they were going for compared to a brand new car that is far less engaging / rather boring to drive. Had a look after reading a few used car advise threads.

Last edited by Swarit19 : 10th December 2016 at 21:36.
Swarit19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 00:17   #750
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa/Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Writing this here as I wasn't able to find much myself. I looked on olx and could not find any fiesta 1.6s on sale but is there any difference between that and say a classic 1.6 or the older 1.6?

Do all of them have HPS? (Hydraulic Power Steering) Are there many if any mechanical differences that can't be taken care of with extra care (mods) after being bought? Are parts quite hard to source for it? Would it be better to go to the ford showroom itself and their used car section or keep looking for examples at other used car dealers. Last but not the least, are honest examples with 60k km's bad compared to some tampered odo's with 30k?

I'm thinking hard about it strictly as a toy because my jaw dropped when I saw how low they were going for compared to a brand new car that is far less engaging / rather boring to drive. Had a look after reading a few used car advise threads.
All Fiesta came with HPS. it is not as sharp as Old gen Figo. 1.6S has 15" alloys, firmer suspension and sports exhaust. It also gets all black interior. Fiesta 1.6S suspension parts can be directly fitted to stock 1.6.
Parts are not a problem at all. I bought 2009 SXi with full history with 59k running for 2L. Let me know if you have any questions. You will find my posts from similar situation in this and Vnabhis Fiesta ownership thread
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offbeat Buy - Used car for <2 lakh rupees d_payne Sedans 133 29th June 2016 09:02
Used Automatic car for less than 4 lakhs rupees sandipsn Sedans 34 22nd May 2016 13:11
Electric cars get subsidy booster of upto 1.0 lakh rupees echo77 The Indian Car Scene 56 7th July 2014 09:35
Kumaon: roads less traveled and forests less visited nilanjanray Route / Travel Queries 21 11th January 2013 12:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks