Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 10th October 2017, 14:19   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post
The owner is quoting 7L (its an August 2012 mfg car regd in Jan 2013) but given the above facts, I feel it should be lower. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Too expensive in my opinion, and this example doesn't seem that well taken care of.
With VW parts being expensive - you may end up spending 80K - 1L on just replacing the HL + roof trim + rattles + other minor work to bring the car up to scratch. Not to mention another huge amount when the clutch is due for replacement.

Would be better to negotiate the price down, or look for another alternative vehicle.

For reference - better maintained Laura TSi's with the bigger 1.8L engine and similar Odo reading, etc. can be had for around 5-6L.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 00:31   #422
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

I currently drive a 2009 Honda City S M/T. The car has performed flawlessly for the past 8 years, but now the upgrade itch has begun.

The current value of my car is around 4-5 lakhs. A new City costs almost 16lakhs, and doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my car. Point is, the cheapest car that's a proper upgrade costs at least 17 lakhs. Which is why I'm considering going the pre-worshipped route.

The car needs to be as reliable and fuss free as my City, and have some amount of snob value as well . Also, the car shouldn't be older than 2013-14.

My budget is 10 lakhs, any suggestions?
Aaron:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 07:43   #423
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I currently drive a 2009 Honda City S M/T. The car has performed flawlessly for the past 8 years, but now the upgrade itch has begun.

The current value of my car is around 4-5 lakhs. A new City costs almost 16lakhs, and doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my car. Point is, the cheapest car that's a proper upgrade costs at least 17 lakhs. Which is why I'm considering going the pre-worshipped route.

The car needs to be as reliable and fuss free as my City, and have some amount of snob value as well . Also, the car shouldn't be older than 2013-14.

A used VW Jetta would fit the bill perfectly. A 2013-14 model is a bit of a stretch to your existing budget. The car is a marvel and the Built-to-last built quality is just so good and there's a tinge of German Engineering in every bit of the car which you'll like.

The car is very reliable and this is the only German Executive Saloon I can think of which is very reliable and is a hoot to drive. The 2.0 TDI is a hoot to drive and you just can't stop to grin about this beast when you're behind the wheel. Though the dieselgate fix has messed that FTD factor of the 2.0 TDI but a remap can get that FTD factor back (which hardly costs 20-30k).

If you're a petrol guy, the 1.4 TFSI wouldn't disappoint you either. The proven drivability of the 1.4 TFSI is too good to be ignored and the urban drivability is said to be a lot better than the 1.8 TFSI and 2.0 TDI.

The Jetta is known for its ride and handling. The multilink rear suspension shows its true colours when you're at the corners.

The car overall fits your bill IMO and is an ideal upgrade to the City and top of it, it's a segment higher up from the City and this will really make you feel like a proper upgrade and the More-For-Less VFM quotient of this car is maintained in the used car market.

All the best with your future upgrade,
Varun

Last edited by Varun_HexaGuy : 16th October 2017 at 07:48. Reason: Adding a point :)
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 14:26   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post

I agree with Varun for Jetta, it's a fantastic car. Period!

Another alternative I could think of is an 2014 Elantra. It'd really feel like an upgrade to you over the City
namanchaudhary is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote