Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 22nd June 2018, 17:17   #451

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat runner View Post
I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO with 68K on Odo. The car is serving us well, but due to addition of a baby in family, we need more space. I will be able to sell this off for 200K. I am eyeing an 2015 Ford Ecosport Diesel Signature odo 49K at 750K. Is it a good upgrade? Also, I am not sure if old ecosport is a good choice, or should I stick to something Maruti. Appreciate thoughts of BHPians.
I know a lot of knowledgeable Bhpians have lent their expert advice. I would like to put forward a suggestion, if you are looking across brands, may I suggest you look for a well maintained Vento Diesel diesel manual (I've omitted the DSG since there is a lingering doubt over the reliability). I've been in a minor accident in my Polo TDI and I was fairly surprised how the vehicle stood up. And it was an early model with no airbags but still very sturdy. Newer cars will be much better equipped, in terms of safety and gizmos (for eg anti pinch windows which will save little toddlers hands in an event). Volkswagens IMHO have very good highway manners, a decent boot and will return good FE. Plus you can get good examples of Ventos at really good prices since resale is low.
Just a suggestion ! Happy car hunting !
kraken is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 18:02   #452

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why not also look at the Fiesta as well? Not the classic but the bigger newer generation one with the 1.5dci motor? It has just as much if not maybe a little more space than the ecosport (definitely bigger boot), much better driving dynamics, stronger build, and as a result of its lower center of gravity, it is also less prone to toppling over. With a family I would definitely go for the safest choice. You should be able to fetch a good one although hard to come across, for a good price as well since they have pretty poor resale value.
Thanks, thats a valuable advice. I like the new Fiesta, but those are very rare to spot in used car market. I tried to search, but could not find one. I will keep on looking. It looks stunning as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I know a lot of knowledgeable Bhpians have lent their expert advice. I would like to put forward a suggestion, if you are looking across brands, may I suggest you look for a well maintained Vento Diesel diesel manual (I've omitted the DSG since there is a lingering doubt over the reliability). I've been in a minor accident in my Polo TDI and I was fairly surprised how the vehicle stood up. And it was an early model with no airbags but still very sturdy. Newer cars will be much better equipped, in terms of safety and gizmos (for eg anti pinch windows which will save little toddlers hands in an event). Volkswagens IMHO have very good highway manners, a decent boot and will return good FE. Plus you can get good examples of Ventos at really good prices since resale is low.
Just a suggestion ! Happy car hunting !
Thank you! I somehow always had this impression that Volkswagens are costlier to maintain than comparable others. Will consider Vento also in the options for build quality and safety features ( though, for looks, it is not so charming :-) )

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd June 2018 at 18:20. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
beat runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018, 08:54   #453

Question The Lateral Upgrade Quest

I own a 2011 Beat Diesel LTO, odo 68K. The car is well equipped ( Airbags, ABS, ACC) and has served us really well over last many years.

With addition of a baby:-) in our family, we are looking for something bigger, as grandparents have started visiting the baby frequently, and we anyways need more space to fix the baby seat and carry the stroller.

GTOs thread on lateral upgrade got me thinking. Me being a value buyer, I started to list down what I need in the lateral upgrade. I am expecting to get 200K for the Beat.

Must have -
1. Space
2. Safety - Airbags and ABS
3. Diesel with good FE
4. 3 to 4 years, with 40K on odo.
5. Service history
6. Good GC
7. Power - Something much better than beat - Beat struggles with AC On.

With above in mind and a budget of 7-800 K, we started our search, and some options which we could spot were -
1. Honda WRV with 1 year and 16K odo. Diesel Top end - Asking price is 10.3 but I am sure this may come down to around 9.

2. Ford Ecosport- 1.5 Titanium + - 60K, 4 year old, 750 asking price. Liked this more for driving than the WRV.

3. Another option we would like to consider is Scross 1.6, but did not get any options.

Test drove brezza in past and somehow, felt that build is not as strong in build/ door as our Beat ( equal chances ofI being either right or wrong here :-) ) so decided to skip that.

In old car markets here in Hyd, I was surprised to see most of the cars with between 60-70 Km on Odo, between 3 to 5 years use. Statistically, having so many used cars with similar odo in market makes me think whether these are tampered numbers. So above options are the ones from reliable sources - individuals or showrooms.

I also read the relevant threads on WRV and EcoSport. My concern is, getting an EcoSport with 50-60 k on odo - will that be durable at least for next 4 years, or I should spend on getting something like the less used WRV which comes with engine warranty etc etc? Appreciate your opinion!
Old 24th June 2018, 12:45   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Must have -
3. Diesel with good FE
With your low running (~10k km an year) why don't you consider petrol ones also? You must be able to get never/less run versions of WRV or ecosport if you are fine with the power.

Among the options you listed I would pick WRV as it has lesser kilometers and you get a never car in addition to getting more space inside.

Cheers!
y448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 18:39   #455

Default Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
With your low running (~10k km an year) why don't you consider petrol ones also? You must be able to get never/less run versions of WRV or ecosport if you are fine with the power.

Among the options you listed I would pick WRV as it has lesser kilometers and you get a never car in addition to getting more space inside.

Cheers!
Thank you! Somehow, I am fixated on diesel, and with the current fuel prices and petrol mileage numbers,diesel started making more sense! So current status is - Checked new as well as old ecosport, but did not like it much. On the way to ford dealership, visited tata, and took nexon test drive. And wow! Both of us (me and wifey) liked it immediately over other options considered. So now, contemplating on old wrv or new nexon d xm!
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:49   #456
BHPian

Default Re: The Lateral Upgrade Quest

Quote:
In old car markets here in Hyd, I was surprised to see most of the cars with between 60-70 Km on Odo, between 3 to 5 years use. Statistically, having so many used cars with similar odo in market makes me think whether these are tampered numbers. So above options are the ones from reliable sources - individuals or showrooms.
Considering you are in Hyderabad, I would suggest to buy a new Ecosport/Creta, as the resale values are high. One would rather buy a new car, thrash it for 4-5 years (1-2 Lakh km's) and sell it.

One has to be patient or lucky to get a less mileage diesel car in Hyderabad. Another option is to look out for well maintained Duster's (2014 or later), which you would get for a relatively less price(around 7L onwards).
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2018, 23:05   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Considering you are in Hyderabad, I would suggest to buy a new Ecosport/Creta, as the resale values are high. One would rather buy a new car, thrash it for 4-5 years (1-2 Lakh km's) and sell it.

One has to be patient or lucky to get a less mileage diesel car in Hyderabad. Another option is to look out for well maintained Duster's (2014 or later), which you would get for a relatively less price(around 7L onwards).
I realized this after reading your comment. I have hardly come across anything less than 50~60k km. Anything below that, the price does not justify buying old. Will keep waiting for some more days to see if I get a deal. Saw some dusters but those were also 60-70k plus . If not, i will go ahead with Nexon!

Not relevant to the thread, but the test-drive at tata was a really good experience.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:31   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Will keep waiting for some more days to see if I get a deal. Saw some dusters but those were also 60-70k plus .
This is one recent ad that caught my eye. You might want to look at it.

https://www.olx.in/item/renault-dust...-ID1lqXkb.html

I am nowhere related to the seller.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote