Team-BHP - In-dash Infotainment in Indian Cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   In-dash Infotainment in Indian Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/101287-dash-infotainment-indian-cars.html)

Hi,
I am working on the In-dash Infotainment in Indian cars. I am interested to know the cars in India that have in-dash infotainment. I am unable to get a comprehensive list of the same. If the gurus here could let me know of the same, I would be really grateful for the kind gesture.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Sun

PS: Mods, Please move this thread to any other place appropriate if this is not the correct one.

Cars in India having built-in OE infotainment provided by companies..This seems a joke to me :uncontrol the only Infotainment is to get updates from our beloved FM channels Radio Mirchi/RED FM :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramie2400 (Post 2353856)
Cars in India having built-in OE infotainment provided by companies..This seems a joke to me :uncontrol the only Infotainment is to get updates from our beloved FM channels Radio Mirchi/RED FM :D

@ramie, Isn't there a single D-segment or a sub-D-segment car in India that has a OE-infotainment system? please: Really surprising ! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomsun (Post 2353837)
I am working on the In-dash Infotainment in Indian cars.

Please define In-Dash Infotainment and you may get more answers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Vampire

Please define In-Dash Infotainment and you may get more answers.

In-Dash Infotainment here I am referring to entertainment + some information about the car or environment or something similar.

Almost all cars in India (at least one high end model of each car) have an Infotainment system in it. As Ramie-paaji said, ordinary HUs also qualify. But, unless you qualify the 'Info' part of Infotainment, you will be perpetually on a wild goose chase. And that is beyond the various interpretations of what 'Info' should be given in 'Infotainment'. Inside/Outside temperature, AC fan speed, trip statistics, Route guidance, engine operating parameters etc. also qualify.

Early attempts at 'Infotainment' were to integrate News, Weather, Traffic etc. (via RDS), and some engine parameters. But, since RDS did not find universal acceptance, the Info in Infotainment got diluted to Inside/Outside temp, AC fan speed, etc. in countries other than Germany, Benelux, France. There were also attempts at connecting the car with a central server (via telemetry links) so that performance of the engine could be monitored from remote, but this never really took off.

Today, most OE 'Infotainment' units (they are not made by the car manufacturers) integrate these functions in the central console. In the least this is the 'multi-display'. The traditional HU hence becomes part of the 'Infotainment' system, and not the heart of it. The functionality given is directly proportional to the cost of the OE unit.

Now, what exactly were you trying to do, or what exact information were you looking for.

The fact that current generation of cars are able to display parameters like engine temperature, ac fan speed, apart from advanced features like navigation, park assist, etc, in itself constitute an infotainment system. This may be considered as the first step towards better infotainment in the years to come.

My query was wrt the same, that the HU is able to display something more than just media playback information, such a HU can be termed as an infotainment system. An example is the Ford figo, which has a Bluetooth compatibility makes it an infotainment system.

Bluetooth is just another interface, like Aux-in or USB, so in itself does nothing to warrant the tag. And, it is not even as general purpose like USB due many reasons. Park assist is also not in the same category - it is more of a limited safety system.

You still haven't declared your objective for the information. What do you want to do with it? Compare features to figure out a common set for further development? If so, perhaps you could spawn a new thread where others could contribute to defining the next generation center console, or a new HU at least.

I guess the VW group has the most sub 20 lakh rupee cars with infotainment systems. The Vento IPL edition is the cheapest, with its double DIN HU and the inbuilt navigation system. Then, there's a host of Skoda & VW cars above (Laura, Superb, Yeti, Passat etc.) that are equipped with infotainment head units.

Those are Bosch OE (not Blaupunkt) units, aren't they? I think only the Blau aftermarket unit (and brand) was divested, retaining the OE biz.

Zoom - any progress? I am looking at getting a HU for my Verna 2008, pls share if you have completed your research.