Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:57   #16
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The steel wheels are not prone to bending because of the higher aspect ration (thicker sidewall) when you need to put bigger size tyre no ways the steel rim can stay on without bending as there is no fat sidewall to protect it anymore

It is not the fuel economy i am talking about its the steering feel which gets improved because of low mass. At the end of the day the biggest communication between you and your car (besides pedal and gear shift) gets better.

And also the alloys plays a major role in a cars character. Thats why you will still turn your head to see an RS going by than normal skoda.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 17:13   #17
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Now our ICE gurus are talking about FE , alloys , handling , suspension and all on a ICE thread .. Poor sam will have a heart attack , always kept saying no engine vengine and here we are nearly getting to that .. Good going navin and JB .. However JBs points surely do make sense ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 18:39   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default

And mcl (and lot of us) are sure enjoying it a lot... no doubt

But seriously speaking Navin I think everyone has his or her perspective. When you say that the difference between a good audio system and a mediocre one is as clear as the difference between day and night it is your perspective. One where you can talk about highs, lows and mids even in your dreams. You dabble with these systems day in day out. On the other hand another guy (many others in fact) just listens to the audio when he is stuck in a jam. He never experiments with sound, never gets to basically. He never had a chance to listen to two systems side by side and decipher. So he has his perspective when he says I do not know why ppl spend so much on high end systems.

And finally, because people like Navin are there that others like us manage to run to them when we need advice. Because to many of us probably these things make zilch of a sense

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd February 2006 at 18:44.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:22   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Having your cake and eating it too...

OK... I'm an ICE'er... a hardcore one at that. sometimes I look forward to a traffic jam just for the opportunity to kick back and listen to that new CD.

But... I am also a driving enthusiast. The first thing I do when we buy a car is put Michelins on it and if its for me, get nice wheels. Trust me... Its oh so important when you're the type who does roundabouts and curves at 100+kmph. But more importantly, even if you arent that type, that extra grip, control and predictability can mean the difference between life and death.

So I have both... a high-end SQ ICE system AND nice wheels, tyres.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 05:13   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NO IDeA/Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: Once
Default

Heh - I've derailed this thread i think....

Well - Not saying that buying an expensive brand is a waste - to be honest - at low to mid volumes , most 4 speaker systems seem the same to me - at higher volumes you can definitely tell the difference in clarity - having a seperate amp with tweeters and a subwoofer - well it sounds great but for me is overkill.
I'd wouldn't haveing them but with a limited amount of moolah, somewhere the budget gets cut :-)


Yup Sam - its all about perception and also priorities....Some people like their ICE to be top notch - but for me the basics are enough - though i wish my system had a line in - have to use an itrip with my ipod and sometimes the reception aint that good.
As for alloys - well most of the ones available here and are affordable dont offer any significant weight reduction or strength increase - it's mainly about the looks...

And yes, the japanese have gone a bit overboard with lights annd leds.

I'd prefer a simple system which gives you the required information on the screen rather AND good sound over one which wants to be a psychedelic delight...

cheers

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 3rd February 2006 at 05:14.
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:23   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
The steel wheels are not prone to bending because of the higher aspect ration (thicker sidewall) when you need to put bigger size tyre no ways the steel rim can stay on without bending as there is no fat sidewall to protect it anymore...

And also the alloys plays a major role in a cars character. Thats why you will still turn your head to see an RS going by than normal skoda.
I dont know jack about wheels. I just got the biggest wheels the dealer was offering (for the Sail the Alloys were an option but the Swift and RS came with them). Given the speeds I am exposed to (I dont drive 8am - 8pm) I did wonder if those alloy wheels would make a performance difference but figured what the heck.

Hey how come no one bothers to look at my RS? Maybe JB/Gun, Dominic, Autopsyche and psycho should mod it! :-)
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:24   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Poor sam will have a heart attack ..
Sam? who's Sam? Where's Sam? :-) poor guy's been busy. It's a hard life.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:27   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
OK... I'm an ICE'er... a hardcore one at that. sometimes I look forward to a traffic jam just for the opportunity to kick back and listen to that new CD.

So I have both... a high-end SQ ICE system AND nice wheels, tyres.
Funny at my previous job i used to be 8 minutes from work and hated it as I could not listen to more than 3 songs. Now I am 45 min from work and can listen to a full album (if only on my HD580). I come from the old school. We listen to albums not playlists.

Gun, you are one of a lucky few (ICE + wheels).

Last edited by navin : 3rd February 2006 at 09:32.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:52   #24
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Hey how come no one bothers to look at my RS? Maybe JB/Gun, Dominic, Autopsyche and psycho should mod it! :-)
AAAhhhaaa .. Yes navin , if u do want to get alloys,tyres and stuff for any car of urs pls do ask JB .. He has an excellent choice when it comes to choosing visual looks for the car .. U know like alloys , tyres , spoilers etc etc ..

However for performance mods , maybe autopsyche and psycho (official dealers for pete's tuning boxes and remaps ) may be the guys to turn to .. Imagine a RS with 235 horses on tap , and an awesome ICE setup .. Whew , im already entereing dreamland .. Yes after all this u have to make sure u drive the car around curves at 100+ to enjoy the spin .. However it would be a terrible idea to give the chauffer that kind a power .. Make one trip to bangalore and maybe a few of us can show u how a RS can be driven the way its supposed to .. Sam was a witness to one such spin , and i must say he was speechless at the end of it ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd February 2006 at 10:56.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam? who's Sam? Where's Sam? :-) poor guy's been busy. It's a hard life.
Arrey I'm here na... Sorry just had some personal issues, went into hiding, that and combined with a 3 city JBL multimedia launch, coming up soon... apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
However for performance mods , maybe autopsyche and psycho (official dealers for pete's tuning boxes and remaps ) may be the guys to turn to .. Imagine a RS with 235 horses on tap , and an awesome ICE setup .. Whew , im already entereing dreamland .. Yes after all this u have to make sure u drive the car around curves at 100+ to enjoy the spin .
Navin will have ICE, Wheels, Engine-vengine tuning-wuning gadgets from my firend Psycho AND a winnie the pooh on his rear glass! None of us can beat that!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:14   #26
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Navin will have ICE, Wheels, Engine-vengine tuning-wuning gadgets from my firend Psycho AND a winnie the pooh on his rear glass! None of us can beat that!
Hahahaha .. Sam !!!!! U bet .. ROTFLMAO .. Sorry navin couldnt help it .. Well look at it this way sam , maybe navins a man whose still young at heart .. Also i bet his son would be proud to be driven around in one hellova car .. Just make sure he logs onto the forum ASAP ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd February 2006 at 11:18.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:51   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Navin will have ICE, Wheels, Engine-vengine tuning-wuning gadgets from my firend Psycho AND a winnie the pooh on his rear glass! None of us can beat that!
I know I get more looks from kids in school buses than car enthusiasts.

235bhp in mumbai traffic?. Whatever for? I dont think I'll race on street roads at any time. It is much too dangerous.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:17   #28
BHPian
 
adit1329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I never had a thing for Blaupunkts because of various assumed reasons like no VFM, plain vanilla looks,etc..
But, i've seen Navin recommending a lot of Blaupunkts and i must say, i've started respecting Blaupunkts.

India is a country where most see VFM.People like me like cool flashing OLEDs, touch-screen HUs,etc.. for the lowest price.Pioneer is one brand which suits our indian mentality to a T.By saying this, i refer to most of the Indian car-users to whom every speaker or HU sounds the same .

Blaupunkt's are plain janes and are very expensive...also they do not woo the new gen crowd as the sound tends to be more flat and basically for fm listening...
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 10:38   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
Blaupunkt's are plain janes and are very expensive......
expensive???..i hear the sell one model for 4.5K.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2006, 16:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
expensive???..i hear the sell one model for 4.5K.
They have a really bad model for that much Navin. At that price i would buy a pioneer or a JVC mp3 player.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pioneer DEH-7200SD or Blaupunkt San Francisco 310 : CONFUSED! IndrojitSircar In-Car Entertainment 0 21st July 2011 12:52
Blaupunkt Bahamas MP34 query nishantgandhi In-Car Entertainment 21 30th July 2010 18:47
Blaupunkt 4-ch Amp, Blaupunkt ODx 6x9 3-way coaxials & 6.5" 2-way coaxials for sale hydrashok Shifting gears 3 16th March 2007 16:43
JBL,Rockford,Kicker,Blaupunkt,etc!!check it out ! srasania In-Car Entertainment 21 25th July 2005 15:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks