Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st January 2006, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Given that look for a freeware called WACK which allow you to encode as many versions of the CD as you care to (AAC, MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc....) in one go.
Navin

Do you have a link for WACK? Tried googling, without much success.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 15:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I am going to drop a line to understand this better. I really need to, since I will be ripping my CDs only once.
I'll PM you what I know but there was a thread on the ICE forum that covered this some time back.

I'll give you a 10 sec run down of what i have done....

a) ripped my 650 CD collection to MP3 and WV format (not WAV but WV) more on WV later (hint: it is not VW backwards)

b) Using iTunes downloaded the 650 CDs (8500+ songs) onto my ipod (almost 55Gb of music) leaving only about 45-50 MB free on ipod.

c) Using an Ipod cable (an Alpine KCA 420i in this case) connected the ipod to the Car Stereo.

d) Bought a Senheisser PX100 ($50) and Senheisser HD 580 ($200) and Altec Lansing IM7 (Rs. 15-16K) for portable, rear seat listening, and office in that order.

Now when I am not in my car I use the PX100, in my car but not driving the HD580 and in car but driving the KCA420i annd the IM7 at work. The source is the same ipod. All my music is available all the time.

check this out...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...r-stereos.html (whats the best bitrate to write cds for ur car stereos??)

from post 21 of above thread...

"CD quality is not 320kbps. 320kbps is still lossy just as ANY Mp3 format is. Why even Flac, WavPack and other "lossless" formats are only mathematically lossless.

I have most certainly hear the difference between my WavPack rip and my MP3 rip. My WavPack rips have a compression ratio of about 2:1 (so a CD takes about 250-300MB) and my MP3 rips have a compression of about 5:1 (so a CD takes about 100-120MB).

The differences I heard were using a PC audio system (Monsoon speakers) and using Foobar to play the MP3/WV files. I agree that in a car there could be other considerations.

I have not compared other rips as I primarily have only ripped my CDs. WavPack for my Home PC and MP3 for my ipod"

Sam too feels my ripping is adequate

Take from post 23

"I'd like to tell you that I listen to all my music, taken from Navin, since my HDD crashed. And of course the music is brilliant but the encoding is positively the best I've heard. Closest to CD. Whatever Navin is personally doing is perfect I'd say"

then see post 30. it gives you all the links and the argument I use. and lastly post 52.

Hope this helps.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 15:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Navin
Do you have a link for WACK? Tried googling, without much success.
got it as my 1st link. did you type WACK?
anyway....
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html

i use wack 0.46 I think that is the latest version. there was a bug in 0.30.

http://www.uninformative.com/wack

i'd suggest you guys read a bit on hydrogenaudio.org before trying to do this. ponchorage, synthetic soul, etc... are the gurus on this.

BTW just to clear up the above...

Sam got the MP3 version with a compression ratio of about 1:5 (650CDs in 60GB). Using VBR it gives an ABR (average bit rate) of about 224kbps so some players will read this as 224kbps although the bit rate iis varying from 32 to 450 kbps

Last edited by navin : 31st January 2006 at 15:51.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

boy, even a simple question turns into this on the ICE section! lol!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2006, 16:57   #20
BHPian

I too have a collection of some 150 tapes and I intended recording them on the computer but never got down to doing it. However, I find that some of the older albums are available freely. Not all but most. Even a few years ago, Pink Floyd's The Wall or Pulse double CD set used to be a rarity.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 09:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
boy, even a simple question turns into this on the ICE section! lol!
Rtech, I dont there is any market left for any cassette players car in car or home audio. The last vestige of tape in any form will be either the villages of 3rd world counties or the studio (24+ track). Happy! :-)
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:50   #22
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm just wondering about this. Is there a market left for the good ol' cassette player?

Asking this as last night I found my old Blaupunkt cassette player that came OE in my car, which I had switched for the Pioneer CD player at that time itself. Wondering if its worth anything as I could part exchange it for a set of decent speakers.
Hey Robin,

I spoke to someone and we can exchange your HU for a decent set of speakers. Do you want front or rear.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

Viper "define decent set of speakers". Last I heard a friend of mine sold the cassette unit the dealer gave him for rs. 1000. I dont see any decent set of speakers in that price range. maybe robin's got a better HU.
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:09   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Viper "define decent set of speakers". Last I heard a friend of mine sold the cassette unit the dealer gave him for rs. 1000. I dont see any decent set of speakers in that price range. maybe robin's got a better HU.
Hi Navin,

Well basically I can get him approx 2k for his HU. You can get JVC 6x9's from 2200 onwards.

Viper
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

Hey Viper, thanks man. Not looking for 6x9's though. Need something to fit in the OE speaker place. However, I'm just looking to get rid of the deck first.

Navin, the deck is the stock Blaupunkt cassette player with came as OE in the Octi earlier. Don't ask me model numbers though!
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:35   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Viper, thanks man. Not looking for 6x9's though. Need something to fit in the OE speaker place. However, I'm just looking to get rid of the deck first.

Navin, the deck is the stock Blaupunkt cassette player with came as OE in the Octi earlier. Don't ask me model numbers though!
Hey,

we can discuss it when we meet. anyways have told you what you can expect in the post below.

Viper
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:31   #27
Team-BHP Support

That was a nice deck. must say Skoda alayws offered decent audio systems.
They gave me a Alpine 9830 which I gave to my wife.

If you got an Octi the stock options you have are 4" coax in the rear or 6" components in the front. for 2-2.5K you can get 4" coax from JBL or Blau. Each company offers 2 models (between rs. 1800 and 2500).

6" components run 5K+.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

4" in the rear? I thought it could be 5.5" back there. Good you clarified that.

I'm leanng towards JBL as I heard these in a friends car and was impressed.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4" in the rear? I thought it could be 5.5" back there. Good you clarified that.
They are callled 4.5" to be exact just like 5" are denifed as 5.25". ^' can be either 6.5 or 6.75" usually the 6.75" drivers are shallow fit for cars like the Opel Astra front door.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I was under the clear impression that a pair of 5.25s can be fit quite easily in the rear of the Octavia.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote