Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 20:35   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi

I see no replies. Come on people. I am looking for suggestion and advices in finalizing my ICE.
Somebody have suggested that I should go for Hertz Energy Components. Any owners of the same around here. How good are they?

Thanks

Buddy,

Actually there is NO END to this madness

So Chill... Dont Hurry things.

Firstly make a WANT TO HAVE List ready on Hand, and start it slowly so as to adjust to your Budget.

What i have achieved over the past 5 years

Year 1
1) MB-Quart Components - Front door (Imported them from Germany)

2) MB-Quart Co-ax's - Mid doors ( Imported them from Germany )

Year II

1) MB-Quart 12" Sub Woofer (Imported them from Germany )

2) Sony 4 channel Amp - Got it from my friend who was returning from Malaysia.

3) Got all of these fitted

Year III

1) Head Unit - Sony DVD 1000 ( Got it from Bangalore,Though not the Best, but serves my purpose)

2) Head rest screens - Two 7 "units on each head-rests ( Got it from Bangalore)


Year IV

1) Reverse camera - Got it from my friend returning from Malaysia

2) IRVM Mounted 7" screen - Got it from my friend returning from Malaysia

3) Head rest screens - Two 7" screens for the last row ( Will use it for gaming, under construction right now :-D)

I am doing it slowly to suit my taste and budget.

But if you have all that loads of money, its your way.... All the best.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 22:28   #17
BHPian
 
cutdcrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Guys anybody has tried Carplus in Rishab Vihar market???
How are their rates and installation standard??

Thanks

hi sheelz, i have the same hu in my safari that you are planning to get for your beast. Got it installed from carplus only, neat work, professional guys. I stay in i.p.extension, ping me if you want to have a visit to the place, its nearby my house, will be happy to meet fellow tbhpian.
cutdcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 00:46   #18
BHPian
 
sheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
hi sheelz, i have the same hu in my safari that you are planning to get for your beast. Got it installed from carplus only, neat work, professional guys. I stay in i.p.extension, ping me if you want to have a visit to the place, its nearby my house, will be happy to meet fellow tbhpian.
Thanks buddy. Will definitely see u when I come over.
Whats the general pricing of Carplus. Higher side or market average. What price did u pay for the HU??

Thanks
sheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:57   #19
BHPian
 
cutdcrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Thanks buddy. Will definitely see u when I come over.
Whats the general pricing of Carplus. Higher side or market average. What price did u pay for the HU??

Thanks
Hi Sheelz,

Its towards the higher side, but slightly. I paid 9.5k w/o B&W. Since there are mostly some adjustments required after the initial setup, it is advisable to have your installer near your home. Thankfully, I didnt visit them even once after my setup .

In your case, i understand that there arent any good installers / ones you can trust near your place, hence the travel..But in a safari, one always needs reason to drive it .
cutdcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 21:52   #20
BHPian
 
sheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Any Delhi based guys heard of Car Heaven in Ashok Vihar???/How are they???
Any review??

Thanks
sheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 18:24   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Hi Sheelz, so what did you finally get for your beast?

Even I'm sailing in the same boat. Looking to upgrade but my knowledge of car audio is woefully inadequate so calling out to all the gurus here for guidance.

Looking at a complete overhaul of the OEM system with a budget of 40K. Not an SPL/bass junkie, look for cleaner, balanced sound. Choice of music includes Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Jazz and the occasional bolly classics. Can go for a big-bang upgrade or step-by-step, as you say!

Here's what I plan to do -
  • Get a HU with a good DAC, iPod control and bluetooth connectivity (current list is Kenwood 7016, 6539, Alpine 9884, JVC926)
  • Get a good 4-ch amp (JBL 1004)
  • Get compos for the front (JBL GT5 series, Infinity, Focal)
  • Get 6in coax for the rears
  • Get a good 10in sub
  • Drive the fronts from the amp, bridge the remaining 2 channels to drive the sub and rears directly from the HU
Later on, if this setup feels lacking, go for a monoblock for the sub.

Is this a feasible plan? Though I've been a 2-channel audiophile for many years now, I don't have much idea of car audio other than the usual suspects (Alpine, Blaupunkt, JVC etc.). So please help me with the brand and models I should consider, places in Bangalore where I could audition them and installers I should speak to. The list of equipments I have mentioned are mainly from knowledge gained by trawling through the threads here and from advice from other more experienced folks so please feel free to alter it.

Help
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:41   #22
BHPian
 
sheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforged View Post
Hi Sheelz, so what did you finally get for your beast?

Even I'm sailing in the same boat. Looking to upgrade but my knowledge of car audio is woefully inadequate so calling out to all the gurus here for guidance.

Looking at a complete overhaul of the OEM system with a budget of 40K. Not an SPL/bass junkie, look for cleaner, balanced sound. Choice of music includes Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Jazz and the occasional bolly classics. Can go for a big-bang upgrade or step-by-step, as you say!

Here's what I plan to do -
  • Get a HU with a good DAC, iPod control and bluetooth connectivity (current list is Kenwood 7016, 6539, Alpine 9884, JVC926)
  • Get a good 4-ch amp (JBL 1004)
  • Get compos for the front (JBL GT5 series, Infinity, Focal)
  • Get 6in coax for the rears
  • Get a good 10in sub
  • Drive the fronts from the amp, bridge the remaining 2 channels to drive the sub and rears directly from the HU
Later on, if this setup feels lacking, go for a monoblock for the sub.

Is this a feasible plan? Though I've been a 2-channel audiophile for many years now, I don't have much idea of car audio other than the usual suspects (Alpine, Blaupunkt, JVC etc.). So please help me with the brand and models I should consider, places in Bangalore where I could audition them and installers I should speak to. The list of equipments I have mentioned are mainly from knowledge gained by trawling through the threads here and from advice from other more experienced folks so please feel free to alter it.

Help

Hi Soulforged.

Sorry for being away for some time. I ve been bit busy for past some time so couldn't get time to dive all the way to Delhi for ICE installation. But I will do it very soon.

Your equipment list looks Ok to me. I would suggest you to look for another amp. 1004 is a good amp but not very high on SQ. Look for Kappa four or GZ 4 channel amp. The Kappa four is available in US for 10-12 grand. I am looking forward to somebody who can get it for me from there.

Rest all are fine. For the sub, I have finalised Kappa 120.9 or ground zeo titanium. They will give enough thump when driven in bridged mode.

Lemme know when you realise your ICE dream.

Happy motoring.
sheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:00   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Thanks Sheelz,

any other suggestions on brands/installers? Anyone???
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:46   #24
BHPian
 
sheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: India
Posts: 114
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforged View Post

any other suggestions on brands/installers? Anyone???
I have already told you about my suggestions. I don't foresee any problems with your equipment list in the given budget.

I suppose you want to get it done in Bangalore only. In that case, I guess Satya is the person to be contacted. Heard about him in this forums only. Else you can ask other Bangalore based BHP-ians.

Cheers
sheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 14:49   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Hi,

Any idea how Focal Solid would be in a SQ setup? Any other amps to consider for SQ in the under 20K category?
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 15:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforged View Post
Hi,

Any idea how Focal Solid would be in a SQ setup? Any other amps to consider for SQ in the under 20K category?
Audison SR4 at 17ish or Hertz has one for 11k,


About Focal, depends on one's taste. ( Check sankar's thread)

Last edited by jkdas : 4th October 2011 at 15:15.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 22:29   #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: Once
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my Jet, Tata Safari GX

Thanks!

How is SR4 compared to SRx4? Typically the newer model should be a step up but considering that it's the entry level, can't be too sure...

Any specific model from Hertz? Seems like I don't have too many choices when it comes to budget SQ amps :(

For head units, how would Clarion CZ501 do?
soulforged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:30   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my @008 Tata Safari 2.2

Hi All,

I have been quite happy with the sound quality of my stock music system on my Safari EX for 3.5 years. However, the speakers sound a little torn now with high bass. I havent inspected them yet, but I suspect a need for change, and would want to use the opportunity to upgrade.

Im not well versed with music systems /terminology and will keep it simple.

Current Headunit: Stock Blaupunkt unit - It works well and I would like to maintain it(im quite happy with it)

Speakers : Want to upgrade to louder speakers that can play fine music notes and sharp voice tones well and have good amount of Bass / thump for those thumpy numbers.
Needs to be really louder without distorting the music quality at current full volume settings. Focus is on the front speakers since its usually 2 occupants.

Im not sure if Amplifier is required for this or the big base box that sits in the boot. I would prefer something that sits/fits neatly into a corner or crevice or in the rear dicky door without eating into my bootspace. Also, I have removed my rear jumpseats, so that space could be used to fit an amplifier, only if necessary for this upgrade.

I intend to keep it simple, without wanting to spend over 10k, though I can stretch to 15k, headunit remaining the same. I also dont like messing the original wiring with any cut and paste job and try to keep the wiring as stock as possible. Additional wiring without cutting the original wiring is ok.

Also want to use damping in the doors etc. WHat material/brand is to be used for this and what areas are damped in the car other than the doors?
What is the approximate cost for damping in a Safari..?

Please advise suitable upgrade options and a suitable installer for the same in Bombay.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 7th November 2011 at 17:37.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 12:28   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my @008 Tata Safari 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Current Headunit: Stock Blaupunkt unit
Speakers : Want to upgrade to louder speakers that can play fine music notes and sharp voice tones well and have good amount of Bass / thump for those thumpy numbers.

Im not sure if Amplifier is required for this or the big base box that sits in the boot. I would prefer something that sits/fits neatly into a corner or crevice or in the rear dicky door without eating into my bootspace.

I can stretch to 15k, headunit remaining the same.
The best options if you need bass is to get an amplifier and subwoofer.

This will also free up your existing speakers from reproducing the bass and hence they will be able to go louder and/or play with less distortion.

There are many 4 ch. amp you can get for 6K. Pioneer, Kenwood, JBL all make one. You can use 2 channels for the subwoofer and 2 for the front speakers.

A good 12" sub in a box (given that you want thump a suitably desinged ported box might be preferable) should cost you about 7K: Again JBL, Bull Audio, Blaupunkt, all make one.

You will also need 2-3K for the RCA cable from the HU to the amplifier and install costs. I assume your OEM HU will not have RCA outputs so you will need a speaker level to line level adapter as well.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 10:53   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,676
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: ICE Upgrade for my @008 Tata Safari 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The best options if you need bass is to get an amplifier and subwoofer.

This will also free up your existing speakers from reproducing the bass and hence they will be able to go louder and/or play with less distortion.

There are many 4 ch. amp you can get for 6K. Pioneer, Kenwood, JBL all make one. You can use 2 channels for the subwoofer and 2 for the front speakers.

A good 12" sub in a box (given that you want thump a suitably desinged ported box might be preferable) should cost you about 7K: Again JBL, Bull Audio, Blaupunkt, all make one.

You will also need 2-3K for the RCA cable from the HU to the amplifier and install costs. I assume your OEM HU will not have RCA outputs so you will need a speaker level to line level adapter as well.
Navin, Thank you for replying.

So can I just go to the shop and tell him the above and get it done as per what you have mentioned..?
Can you recommend a suitable reliable shop anywhere in Bombay where these components can be sourced and fitted professionally without having to bother about getting fleeced or conned ??

What is a speaker level to line level adapter? Does this sit behind the headunit or somewhere else below the seat or next to the amplifier?

Also, if my speakers are torn/damaged upon inspection, can you kindly recommend a suitable replacement as in model and brand ?

Also, any recommendations for damping?

I can hide the amp under the seat, but is there no way to circumvent the 12" sub box..? It will take up lots of luggage space in my boot for my trips.

Thanks again.

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 10th November 2011 at 11:07.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renaissance of my JET - White FIAT Linea T-Jet+ (27,000 Kms Up) Sathya_sc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 225 4th August 2014 20:29
Fuelled FIRE into my (T)JET - The Fiat Linea T-Jet bnzjon Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 12th May 2013 00:16
Jet no longer operates Airbus (jet) between Bangalore and Hyderabad! androdev Shifting gears 17 22nd December 2008 07:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks