Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd July 2011, 20:42   #1
BHPian

Default ICE Set-up for my 2007 Honda Civic

Hello fellow BHP'ians,

I have always been a car enthusiast but this has been taken to the next level ever since I have joined this forum .

Okay a little background before we get to business. I am an 18 year old and I'm currently driving a 2007 Honda Civic A/T, which was officially announced as my personal car when I turned 18. It has clocked 52,000 kms on the ODO in 4 years and I plan to give it a mid-life upgrade. New tyre set, new full paint-job (with rim paint) and an ICE.

My car currently has the stock system in place, First things first I have a couple of questions before I can go about telling you about my requirements
  1. Can I fix up the stock set-up back in place easily at time of resale?
  2. In-case of an ICE set-up, can I make the controls in the Arm-rest console found in the Civic work with my new HU?
  3. I need a neat-slotting dash trim-kit for the civic, I have no idea of how and where to get all the stuff from, nor do I have any idea about the perfect person to go to go about all of this, will need assistance in that
Now to the ICE bit, I am really a noob at this, I have no idea whatsoever about components, co-axials, etc. I have tried reading around the forums and I absolutely worship members like GTO, BHAGWAN, navin, Bass&Trouble and the other ICE Guru's and enthusiasts.

GTO's Civic ICE set up is amazing! And I am exactly where he was at the start of his install. Till date, All I had was just Pioneer! Amps, speakers, tweeters, HU's everything just from Pioneer!

My requirements are also similar to GTO, the Disco/night-club sound (however, I don't think I can afford such a lavish install as GTO refused to even disclose how much lighter his pocket was made after the whole set up ). I am into Hip-hop, Trance, Dubstep & Electronic.

Talking about bare-minimum basics, I need a touch-screen double DIN HU with USB, iPod Connectivity & AUX wouldn't mind Bluetooth support too, but its not a must-have for me.
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ICE Set-up for my 2007 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Can I fix up the stock set-up back in place easily at time of resale?
Yup, that's what I plan to do as well.

Quote:
In-case of an ICE set-up, can I make the controls in the Arm-rest console found in the Civic work with my new HU?
Not sure, but if people make OEM steering controls work with after-market headunits, there has to be a way to accomplish this as well.

Quote:
I need a neat-slotting dash trim-kit for the civic, I have no idea of how and where to get all the stuff from, nor do I have any idea about the perfect person to go to go about all of this, will need assistance in that
Go for the scosche brand. Which reminds me, the one in my Civic doesn't have a perfect fit and I need to look into it.

Quote:
My requirements are also similar to GTO, the Disco/night-club sound (however, I don't think I can afford such a lavish install as GTO refused to even disclose how much lighter his pocket was made after the whole set up ). I am into Hip-hop, Trance, Dubstep & Electronic.
The way my ICE is today, count on over 2.xx lakhs

I'll tell you what:

- Please don't equate the fun quotient of music with the amount you spend on the system (As Sam says, it's the stuff / artist on your iPod that really counts). I enjoy listening to my music in the bare basic ICE of my Indigo too.

- If this is your first after-market ICE, don't splurge too much. Instead, get a 2-DIN HU, speakers / components front & back, a sub-woofer, amp and some really good damping. The system I had in my OHC Vtec cost about 50K and I absolutely loved it for the 7 years that I used it.

- A complex ICE system can be a HUGE headache. Firstly, it takes a LOT of effort & time to get the system right. Then, you have to constantly worry about parking the car in a safe spot in a city like Mumbai. Lastly, remember that the more stuff you have, the more that can go wrong.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2011 at 13:56.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 18:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, that's what I plan to do as well.

Not sure, but if people make OEM steering controls work with after-market headunits, there has to be a way to accomplish this as well.

Go for the scosche brand. Which reminds me, the one in my Civic doesn't have a perfect fit and I need to look into it.

The way my ICE is today, count on over 2.xx lakhs

I'll tell you what:

- Please don't equate the fun quotient of music with the amount you spend on the system (As Sam says, it's the stuff / artist on your iPod that really counts). I enjoy listening to my music in the bare basic ICE of my Indigo too.

- If this is your first after-market ICE, don't splurge too much. Instead, get a 2-DIN HU, speakers / components front & back, a sub-woofer, amp and some really good damping. The system I had in my OHC Vtec cost about 50K and I absolutely loved it for the 7 years that I used it.

- A complex ICE system can be a HUGE headache. Firstly, it takes a LOT of effort & time to get the system right. Then, you have to constantly worry about parking the car in a safe spot in a city like Mumbai. Lastly, remember that the more stuff you have, the more that can go wrong.
Woah! 2.xx Lakhs, I'll be thrown out of my house if I even dare ask that kind of money for ICE. And anyway, I had >50k in my mind anyway.

This is indeed my 1st aftermarket ICE that I have really looked into, otherwise I have done a couple of jobs before but never really bothered, I have just walked into a the dealers store for my Innova, " Pioneer set-up with DVD & DivX, USB & AUX, iPod Connectivity, 2 Speakers in enclosures for the boot, an amp."

I have no idea about the components used, damping, etc. as a matter of fact I just know there's a Sony amp and that's it, output, RMS, etc. .. nothing!

Its team-bhp that has gotten me to look into things and selecting the finest for my car

And since the civic is my personal car, I would love to go out of the way and work on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
2-DIN HU, speakers / components front & back, a sub-woofer, amp and some really good damping.
This sounds great, now I need suggestions from fellow BHP-ians's to help me pick up the right components/brands to help me get to my music requirement which is punchy sound with bass on the high.
As mentioned earlier, I am very noobish at ICE, please bear with me

Last edited by n:CorE : 3rd July 2011 at 18:05.
Old 3rd July 2011, 21:46   #4
BHPian

i think first choose a good 2/4 ch amp like mosconi AS series(35K)get good compos and rears.keep stock HU.you can add mono,sub and HU latter.if you want to go for HU now consider pioneer 2 din (like GTO has got)or kenwood 846.
procircuit_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 06:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
i think first choose a good 2/4 ch amp like mosconi AS series(35K)get good compos and rears.keep stock HU.you can add mono,sub and HU latter.if you want to go for HU now consider pioneer 2 din (like GTO has got)or kenwood 846.
35k for an Amp, don't you think that's a bit steep? Isn't there something in a range below this which can be really considered which can do justice (at least to an extent within my budget) to my requirement of sound

I absolutely need to change the HU, The stock HU doesn't even have an Aux-in & USB and I'm sick of burning CD's

I think GTO is using the Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD. Can you throw some light on this HU GTO? How is it? As I have read in a couple of your posts, I guess the iPod Connectivity is a bit slow and Can the iPod be controlled from the device itself or it necessarily needs to be control via the HU?

And also, I absolutely don't need the DVD/SD-Card compatibility, I'd rather appreciate having a bluetooth system. Any suggestions on that?
Old 4th July 2011, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I absolutely need to change the HU, The stock HU doesn't even have an Aux-in & USB and I'm sick of burning CD's

I think GTO is using the Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD. Can you throw some light on this HU GTO? How is it? As I have read in a couple of your posts, I guess the iPod Connectivity is a bit slow and Can the iPod be controlled from the device itself or it necessarily needs to be control via the HU?

And also, I absolutely don't need the DVD/SD-Card compatibility, I'd rather appreciate having a bluetooth system. Any suggestions on that?
Hi, going by your requirements and tastes, Buddy you strictly need to ascertain a budget.

A touchscreen HU like the 4250dvd is very high on the bling/feature factor and does its job really well. But it sells for 22k and thats a huge chunk off your 50k budget. Another HU you can look at is the JVC 846 which sells for a similar price. Compare the features of the above two HU's depending upon your needs and take a pick

Normally for your type of requirement you'd need front comps and rear coax running off a 4ch amp and a mono/2ch amp for the sub. Front doors need to be damped as well as your rear parcel shelf as the civic rear speakers are on the rear tray IIRC. 4g or 2g power wiring kit would do nicely along with decent speaker and rca cables. All the above can be suggested more in detail only after a fixed budget is decided upon for the above.

cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 12:21   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. Read our rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Hi, going by your requirements and tastes, Buddy you strictly need to ascertain a budget.

A touchscreen HU like the 4250dvd is very high on the bling/feature factor and does its job really well. But it sells for 22k and thats a huge chunk off your 50k budget. Another HU you can look at is the JVC 846 which sells for a similar price. Compare the features of the above two HU's depending upon your needs and take a pick

Normally for your type of requirement you'd need front comps and rear coax running off a 4ch amp and a mono/2ch amp for the sub. Front doors need to be damped as well as your rear parcel shelf as the civic rear speakers are on the rear tray IIRC. 4g or 2g power wiring kit would do nicely along with decent speaker and rca cables. All the above can be suggested more in detail only after a fixed budget is decided upon for the above.

cheers
That was an informative post indeed. Well, having a proper budget, I really need to speak to dad about that one. I need to have him in a good mood to ask him for 50k just for an ICE in my car. I will put a proposition of 50k lets see where/what he lands up giving me

The HU's are indeed expensive, but as GTO said, single-DIN's just don't cut and fit into the Civic's dash, or is there any solution to this? Anyone?

The JVC seems nice. But is it as good as the Pioneer in terms of quality, output, etc. I have always had a premium brand image of Pioneer and I feel they are absolutely the best but the JVC is more feature-laden and I recently have started having this car Bluetooth obsession . So some light on that t-bhpian's?

And also, should one order components from online and then go in for fitting or do we have good dealers around?

Of what I read on t-bhp, Bass&Trouble a.k.a Ajay is into the business. Please forgive me for my noobishness

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2011 at 14:18. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. Read our rules.
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th July 2011, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
That was an informative post indeed . Well, having a proper budget, I really need to speak to dad about that one. I need to have him in a good mood to ask him for 50k just for an ICE in my car. I will put a proposition of 50k lets see where/what he lands up giving me .
Good luck on that one

Quote:
The HU's are indeed expensive, but as GTO said, single-DIN's just don't cut and fit into the Civic's dash, or is there any solution to this? Anyone?
Well you can avoid changing the HU and buy a hi-low convertor to get RCA preouts for your amp. You can always upgrade to a aftermarket HU later on. But in this case you will have to live with the stock HU and its functions for now. But then it looks like the way ahead for you since a double-din dvd Hu will set you back by 22k and add another 10k approx for the civic dashkit to fit the HU. Soo thats almost 65% of your total budget on the HU alone

Quote:
The JVC seems nice. But is it as good as the Pioneer in terms of quality, output, etc. I have always had a premium brand image of Pioneer and I feel they are absolutely the best but the JVC is more feature-laden and I recently have started having this car Bluetooth obsession . So some light on that t-bhpian's?
For sure the JVC is more feature rich than the pioneer, jvc has built-in bluetooth and detachable faceplate IIRC, but then the pioneer is definately a better sounding unit. There are better units from Alpine and Kenwood but then they cost 50k+

PS - Plz avoid more than 2 smilies per post inorder to avoid any infractions

cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 4th July 2011 at 14:29.
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 15:59   #9
BHPian

Arrow Re: ICE Set-up for my 2007 Honda Civic

I completely agree with GTO's views given above. Since you have capped your budget at around 50,000/-, thus I advise the following:

SINGLE DIN HU (Preferably the Kenwood 7016 since it is the onlu HU that provides -partial- TA for its price). I suggest you should not splurge in double DIN HU within a limted budget (as it will push you towards a situation of utter "mis-match". I do not reccomend a decent HU and crappy speakers as it will lead to no where). Top it up with an dash kit. (Should be 16-18K in toto)

Components in the front (infinity, illusion, jvc etc..Audition a few brands before deciding to splurge. There is no certain way of universally judging musical instruments/electronic eqipment used to recreate music) Spend 5.5 to 6.5K.

Whilst many purists would deny the requirement of components in the rear. I reccomend that you audition both kind of set-ups. One with components at the rear and one with co-axials at the rear. And buy components/co-axials as per what you like. Spend 5.5 to 6.5K.

Buy a decent 4 ch amplifier (jbl, kenwood, gz, alpine etc.) Let your budget be 15-16K.

Then buy a 30 cm subwoofer (gz, bull, jbl etc) for 5-6 K. Spend 1.5 to 2.5K for a box. Don't buy anything cheaper as the same wouldn't be mdf.

To power the sub you will require a mono (I am not aware of the current genereation monos within 10-12k but may be our freinds can give us alternatives to Kenwood 8401 or the Pioneer D510... I have not bought any in the last few years). Stick to a budget of 10-12 k.

Since you are on a budget, I recommend using Indian (non-ICE) wires like Finolex or Havell's as this will allow you to invest this saved amount (5-7k) in damping.

Do invest 5-7K in damping. Noisekill and Focal could both be considered. Dynamat will exceed the strict budgetry constraints.

This should be within 65K. However if your budget is strict, cut out the rear components/co-axials. It will cascade to savings of close to 10K (eg. Lesser damping, wiring etc.). The test is how often would you have rear passengers in your 'personal car'. If not too often, then do not bother.

Don't ask me specific model numbers, as they will only prejudice your decision making. With these basic guidelines just go to a nearby (trusted dealer) and enquire and audition products in this price-band. It will help you in acheving a complete and/or a more rounded and robust system. If i were you, I would not go invest in HU's or amps which take away a chunk of my budget and leave too much to too less a budget. Unless of course, you are desirous of upgrading in a phased manner.
Samridh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 16:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

For civic ICE in your budget get the following:

HU
Front Comps
Rear Coax.
4-ch Amp
Subwoofer
Damping

You'll be done if installed properly,fair enough Disco kind deep + loud + clear SQ

Ramie
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 16:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And anyway, I had >50k in my mind anyway.
What you are saying is that your budget is greater than 50K when I think what you mean is your budget is less than 50K ( <50K) is this correct?

With a 50K budget I'd first get essential parts out of the way.

Damp the 4 doors and trunk: 3K
RCA Wires: 2K
Install Labour:2K
MDF subwoofer box: 1.5-2K
--------------

You can get an economical 2 DIN HU such as a JVC 616 or 816 (8K and 12K respectively) but these are CD only. No Video. THe only reason I suggest 2 DIN is that for the Civic the 2 DIN HUs look nicer.

For the amps I'd suggest looking at Focal 1/4 combo or Kenwood 8404/8104 combo. This should cost you about 20K

For the Speakers you can start with JBL's GT6 range. These should run you about 15K for 4 speakers (front components, rear 6x9s and a sub) and a 12" sub. Better speakers like Infinity (also from the same stable as JBL), Boston, Polk, DLS, etc... will perform better but also cost more. An "equivalent" Infinity Reference/JBL GTO system for example will run about 23K (based prices from their website).

So if you start doing the numbers yo will see that even the base system will cost about 53K (10K+8K+20K+15K). If you get an HU and/or speaker upgrade you will be looking at 65K (10K+12K+20K+23K). If you want to build a system around a touch screen HU such as the Pioneer 2390/4390 or the JVC 616/816 prices start at 20K+ for the HU so consider a budget of say 75K.

Last edited by navin : 4th July 2011 at 17:10.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 09:58   #12
BHPian

I own a 2001 OHC 1.5 EXI... Can anyone please advice how to get a 2 din player installed? I have one box packed unit lying with me and i really want to use it... Tips/help please!!!
LovemyOHC is offline   Reply With Quote