Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th July 2011, 15:38   #1
BHPian

Default Boss BV7320 Headunit - advise on buying

Hey Guys,
One of my colleague just returned from the US and got him a spare BOSS BV7320 1Din Headunit. He got it for 200USD, unused and has offered for a resale. Since I am already looking out for buying a new one for my OHC, am exploring the possibility of buying this one.
However BOSS being an unheard brand for me, I decided to google it and below is what I came across on their website bossaudio.com

BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS is a leading manufacturer of full line of mobile electronics equipment with factories in California, Taiwan, and Seoul, Korea. Our corporate headquarters are located in Oxnard, California. At BOSS AUDIO SYSTEMS, we have built a network of global clientele which covers every market in the world. Our BOSS LA division exclusively serves the needs of Southern and Central American Countries.

HeadUnit BV7320
IN-DASH DVD/MP3/CD AM/FM RECEIVER WITH 3.2” WIDESCREEN TFT MONITOR WITH USB AND SD MEMORY CARD PORTS AND FRONT PANEL AUX INPUT
Single DIN mounting
  • Full detachable front panel
  • WMA/MP4/MP3/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD compatible
  • USB and SD Memory Card ports
  • Resolution: 1440 x 234 pixels
  • Brightness: 600 NITS
  • On-screen display
  • NTSC/PAL compatible monitor
  • PLL synthesized AM/FM tuner
  • 30 station presets
  • Switchable USA/Europe radio frequencies
  • Separate bass and treble
  • Balance and fader controls
  • Compatible with audio output of iPod and other MP3 players
  • Mute function
  • Intro scan
  • Last position memory
  • 1-Bit D/A converter
  • 8X oversampling
  • ESP (anti-skip mechanism)
  • Subwoofer output (BassMax)
  • Dual (front and rear) RCA outputs
  • Rear view camera input
  • Wireless remote control
  • Output power: 80w x 4 channels
A advise me guys if its worth going for this brand considering the proce its available. A JVC 1 Din LCD unit would cost 16-18k I assume.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunilb : 16th July 2011 at 15:47. Reason: Fonts edited for better viewing
Sunilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Boss BV7320 Headunit - advise on buying

boss is a chinese brand and its not good sounding and if something goes wrong its not repairable
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 17:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

For 5k I would get it as a time pass HU. It will not offer SQ or anything, reliability I highly doubt. But till the time it work you will be happy.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to sound Boss is absolute junk ! Stay away from them !
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 19:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
boss is a chinese brand and its not good sounding and if something goes wrong its not repairable

You right Manikjeet, the tag does say its make as Chinese. Check the pic.
Attached Images

Old 17th July 2011, 02:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
You right Manikjeet, the tag does say its make as Chinese. Check the pic.
I beg to differ. 99.9% of the electronic products in today's date are Made In China. Pick up a Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood whatever - they are all Made in China.

Has anyone who commented above used Boss Audio's products before? I have. AA Systems in Sec 28, next to Kotak Mahindra ATM still stocks them. I had gotten a set of co-axial speakers installed by him back in the year 2005 - capable of putting any Pioneer, JBL, Sony etc to shame. I had bought these after checking Soundstream, Kicker, JBL etc from Auto Center and SK Motors (Guys from Chd would know).

Then I listened to both Pioneer and Boss Audio back to back on the same setup. It was definitely better than anything else I had heard. However, they needed an amp to work up to their full potential.

The speakers I had gotten originally were of paper cone and one of them cracked in 15th month of purchase. It was checked personally by a Boss Audio appointed engineer (I checked his ID card) and was replaced with a plastic cone speaker free of cost - in spite of the warranty being valid only for 1 year. As per him, they don't expect their speakers to conk off within 15 months of purchase. He told me that they have a corporate office cum showroom in Mahipalpur. I had paid Rs 4800 for these speakers back in 2005 and were worth every penny spent - pretty much eliminated the need for a woofer.

AA systems still stocks Boss Audio products and has their latest range of products - wiring, speakers, woofers and amps, I am not sure of HUs though.

On my next car, I am going in for Boss's components from the same guy. I have already selected the make and model - waiting for my New Swift to launch.

Last edited by zzzehar : 17th July 2011 at 02:03.
zzzehar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 03:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

As posted above, for 5K it is full of features. Get it and be happy till it runs. I haven't heard its Sound Quality, but for the price I am not going to complain if it is something you don't care about much.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 06:48   #8
knp
BHPian

One of my friends has double din Boss HU in his Innova, and he has been using it for almost last 2 years. He has never complained any issues till now, and also the sound quality is very good. I believe that we can't rule out any product just because it's made in China. I see some good reviews in Amazon for these units.
So, I would suggest you to go for it and enjoy!
knp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 18:40   #9
BHPian

Hey zzzehar a very confident opinion I must say. You have made me think over it again.

@devarshi84, knp - You right guys, I should opt for going in and experience its service quality. Probably I may be +1 vouching in favour of it soon.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:10   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
Hey zzzehar a very confident opinion I must say. You have made me think over it again..
Boss is not a well known car audio brand. It is not associated with the BOSS in the link below. This BOSS is a division of Roland electronics (famous for their keybaords).

BOSS U.S.

However for 5K this HU competes with the low end Pioneers, JVC, and the JBL 333. Granted you may not have the same sound quality or service as the above brands but the Boss unit you have posted above sure has more features. If you are willing to buy it (after a listen) with the knowledge that if something goes wrong you will have to trash it do so.

As far as made in China, India, etc.. are concerned. Do not let that bother you. Almost every laptop, Mp3 player, and most car audio equipment is sourced from China. I must add that China is also quickly developing a good high-end audio market too (products costing $1000+). What you need to concern yourself with is the design and service capabilities of the brand itself.

For example many years ago I got myself an Apple ipod from the US. For some reason it died after about a year of service. I sent it to Apple India. After about 2 weeks they sent me a replacement; no questions asked. The ipod was made in China but designed by Apple and supported by Apple.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have used a cheaper chinese unit when i was stsudying.
At that time the price and features combination was unbeatable in the number of them it offered.
I got, for 8k, front usb, aux, sd card,and cd, in 2004.

The only problem was SQ.
It was really "up there" in the intitial few months.
but then it went down to a level below and settled there.
It wasnt bad, but wasnt the best.
I was not too discerning about that, as i was more interested in it just being able to play everything, and the 222 amp being able to put out the "boom-boom".

Quality wise, i never had a problem, not in the way it looked(looked like an alpine, just reversed left to right), or by way of it breaking down.

no buttons failed, no cd got stuck, no file refused to play.
And it worked without hitch for close to 3 years.
tremendous, for an 8k product, the equivalent branded one for which was quoted at more than double that.

But when i replaced it with a branded HU, and it was connected out-of-the-box with the same speakers, the quality of sound was about 10 times better, seriously!
I was extrememly surprised at the difference.

So, what i am trying to say is, if your only constraint is money, you can get it.
but if you want some modicum of good audio, you could maybe cut back on a few features, or increase your budget slightly to get a branded pioneer/kenwood/whatever.

Last edited by mayankk : 18th July 2011 at 11:19.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Latest update :
I got the HU alongwith while coming back home and installed it in my OHC last friday. The unit works absolutely fine.

Did not find any deteoriation in SQ compared to the Pioneer one which I was using prior to this. The speakers are still stock
The LCD screen is crystal clear as in the other branded units.
The buttons though are a bit harder to operate, I feel they would soon fall getting smoother as I keep fingering them.
I played an original and also a pirated DVD into it and have had no trouble whatsoever.
The unit has a standard blue backlight which looks fine with the black interiors.
The face plate detach mechanism also works perfect and fits back easily as of a JBL HU.
Have yet to connect the Ampli/Woofer to it and feel the SQ alongiwth it.

My first impression after installation and playing it is positive. Do think Ive made the right choice with the value for money it offers.
However let me keep my fingers crossed and hope it would serve me hassle-free without any malfunctions
Will keep posting its performance regularly.

Pics of the installation coming up soon.

Thanks a lot guys for all your responses. It really helped me to be more analytical and confident on my decision of having this HeadUnit.
Sunilb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote