Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th March 2013, 16:29   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
A... I went from point A to B, a distance of 65 kms, navigated by MMI. On the return journey, I asked MMI to navigate back to Point A. It sure did but by a considerably longer route of 90 kms ...
A couple of possibilities:
1. Setting of 'what to avoid' might give you a different routing. For example, avoid slower roads (or give fastest route) or avoid toll roads
2. If you have missed a turn-out, and the U-turn setting is off, the new route might then go over a longer route if a shorter alternative is not available

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
... how to ensure MMI routes to a specific house number. ...
What you are seeing are simply labels on the map, which the software doesn't search against. What you are looking for depends on the richness of the PoI (Points of Interest) database where the map UI searches when doing Address Search. MMI, or for that matter maps of any other vendor, is still poor in Address Search aspect - that database will take a couple of years more to become mature even for large cities.

Currently the whole Indian map (Map + DB) is approx. 400MB. Comparatively, the US and the European ones are >1.5GB. Does that tell you anything about the difference? Those databases have been in the making for 25 years now. The Indian databases are less than 10 years old.

Currently the only viable method is to do a search on Google Maps (even that is not perfect for India, but at least it takes you to the vicinity if your search term is efficient), find out a PoI in the vicinity - which one can search for in the nav unit's DB. Last mile questions are best asked the traditional Indian way - ask people on the road or may be the nearest panwala!!! If you want to go their repeatedly, store it in your Favorites in the nav unit when you reach.

Make sure you set Home location - indicate where your home is (record before starting). At least you will have a hassle free journey while returning home from an unknown place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Anyone aware of a MMI service center in Bangalore ...
Call their toll free number - they will be able to tell you.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 18:25   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What you are seeing are simply labels on the map, which the software doesn't search against.
Thanks - that explains - what I thought was my inability to use the software. For you see the MMI interface actually has a "House No" editable field. With your explanantion, it seems this would be possibly linked to PoI in future releases.

That leaves me with no option but to navigate using lat/long coordinates for positions not really covered in the PoI DB.
So
a) zoom in to the max possible on google maps, for the point you want.
b) right click - "what's here" and copy the coordinates in decimal format
c) on MMI - find location using lat/long and enter these values.

Tedious to say the least.

I wonder why the content provider , does not invest in improving the PoI database. I still have Microsoft's maps for the US, which I used to carry around in a 6 CD pack - and it was accurate to the 6+4 zip code.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 19:13   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... interface actually has a "House No" editable field ...
That software is a white-branded product by someone else, usable anywhere in the world with any company's (adapted) maps. Of course it will have the House No. entry field.

Quote:
... lat/long coordinates for positions not really covered in the PoI DB. ...
Just to be on the safe side, I look for the nearest PoI, since that way I have a visual confirmation I am somewhere near the right place.

Quote:
... why the content provider , does not invest in improving the PoI database. ...
The content provider is someone like NavTeq (Nokia), and they are making big investments BUT takes a long painstaking process to create a database and do manual data validation on that.

A company like MMI only takes a version of their product and uses it. Ditto Garmin for India. Search will work for addresses that is present in THAT versions DB, but unfortunately you don't know which are and which aren't!

Add to that the complication of (mis)spelling of names and/or lack of standard street name format in India (5th Cross / 5 Cross / Fifth Cross) and/or new and old numbers and names, and you can imagine the chaos that is in there for India maps.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 19:24   #169
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of possibilities:
1. Setting of 'what to avoid' might give you a different routing. For example, avoid slower roads (or give fastest route) or avoid toll roads
2. If you have missed a turn-out, and the U-turn setting is off, the new route might then go over a longer route if a shorter alternative is not available
Hi Der Alte, thanks for your inputs. I'll check the settings and see if the U-turn is turned off. In the initial days of purchase, that sure used to work, but of late I don't hear it anymore. Can't recall me switching it off.

Secondly where do you have these options of going via toll free roads, slow roads, fast roads etc on MMI. In fact I find it impossible to do any trip planning. What works reasonably well is the "Navigate to" voice guidance.
Heavy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 19:46   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... where do you have these options of going via toll free roads, slow roads, fast roads etc on MMI. ...
I don't have an MMI unit at hand, but I know it comes under Settings.
- One doesn't indicate which ones to use, but which ones to avoid
- This setting sets the criteria for shortest route or fastest route. If you set Avoid Toll Roads and Fastest Route, it will put you on roads that don't have toll, and that may be a longer route
Old 6th March 2013, 22:09   #171
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Der Alte, thanks for your inputs. I'll check the settings and see if the U-turn is turned off. In the initial days of purchase, that sure used to work, but of late I don't hear it anymore. Can't recall me switching it off.

Secondly where do you have these options of going via toll free roads, slow roads, fast roads etc on MMI. In fact I find it impossible to do any trip planning. What works reasonably well is the "Navigate to" voice guidance.

As per my knowledge, the MMI unit in XUV does not give the options DerAlte has mentioned. May be the options are model specific.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 22:42   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This morning I went from point A to B, a distance of 65 kms, navigated by MMI. On the return journey, I asked MMI to navigate back to Point A. It sure did but by a considerably longer route of 90 kms
Generally caused by (incorrect) routing restrictions in the the cartographic database. Esp one way restrictions. Seen often enough on Google maps, on dual carriageways. If the direction restrictions are not set properly, the routing engine might not take the same to and from route.

Quote:
One aspect I still can't figure out is how to ensure MMI routes to a specific house number.
Even abroad, with extensive validated, ground truthed map data, house number is normally worked out by interpolation. It is not exact.
Given our chaotic numbering system, I think last mile routing should be left to human intelligence.

Incidentally, common consensus is NOT to mark your home on the GPS. A person stealing the GPS then knows where you stay!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 22:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, common consensus is NOT to mark your home on the GPS. A person stealing the GPS then knows where you stay!
Thanks Sutripta, for your input.

Well modern cars these days have built in anti-theft devices, so I would'nt worry too much over that, more so since my GPS device is built in to the car. The convenience of jabbing a "Take me Home" button certainly overrides a lot of other negative possibilities in my book.
Heavy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 23:21   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Mark an intersection, or public area near your home. Am sure you'll be able to navigate to your house from there!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 19:26   #175
Senior - BHPian

Dear GPS experts (!)

Which is the best 4.3" GPS Navigation Device in India?

Map My India LX 340 (about 9K)

Garmin Nuvi 40LM (about 8.5K)

TomTom Via 100 (about 9K)

Please suggest as I would like to pick one up for my Storme.

Is 4.3" sufficient or would a 5" screen be preferable?

I ask because the Garmin Nuvi 50LM (5") is only a thousand bucks extra (exactly same features).

Is it true that the new MMI LX 340 unit is much more robust and better quality than the older versions?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 01:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Dear GPS experts (!)

Which is the best 4.3" GPS Navigation Device in India?

Map My India LX 340 (about 9K)

Garmin Nuvi 40LM (about 8.5K)

TomTom Via 100 (about 9K)

Please suggest as I would like to pick one up for my Storme.

Is 4.3" sufficient or would a 5" screen be preferable?

I ask because the Garmin Nuvi 50LM (5") is only a thousand bucks extra (exactly same features).

Is it true that the new MMI LX 340 unit is much more robust and better quality than the older versions?
I use a Garmin device with MMI maps because I think the Garmin devices are more solid than the MMI ones with better lasting batteries , quicker GPS link, etc but the Garmin India map ( the Navteq ones) is inferior to the MMI map for sure. Thus I did a mix n match and to save on cost I picked a refurbished garmin device from ebay . Mine has a 4.3" screen and in my last 12 months of usage I have never felt that it was inadequate though if you are getting a 5" for a few bucks more you should go for it
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 10:16   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As per my knowledge, the MMI unit in XUV does not give the options DerAlte has mentioned. May be the options are model specific.
The Navigation UI application is not by MMI in any of the implementations. MMI adapts their maps to a few different Navigation applications, incl. Sygic etc. which they sell as a package. Which application is loaded on the unit depends on the software complement loaded by the manufacturer. Not difficult to find out who wrote that nav UI application.

The basic Avoidance feature / configuration that we were talking about has been present in ALL Navigation UI applications for the last 20 years or more. Doesn't make sense to leave out as it wouldn't reduce unit cost. The problem is that some nav UI applications locate some Configuration items in such an obscure place that it becomes really hard to find.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 05:15   #178

MapmyIndia do have the best maps for India. But what could give better hold in the market for them is launching future devices with "Voice Recognition" ie the ability to control the device - menu features etc by voice commands. The higher end models are priced in the 10-15k range and Voice recognition should have been included.

Strange that Garmin also have conveniently left the VR compatible models for India. The 2565LM costs a mini fortune and its really disappointing to know that it does not come with a Voice Recognition feature!

Tom Tom 120 and 125 Via series have the VR feature though at similar price lines. Yet they lack in many other areas like hardware finish and maps content to name some.

Cant have the best features in 1 single unit with competitive pricing can we??
Darth_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:17   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
MapmyIndia ... what could give better hold in the market for them is launching future devices with "Voice Recognition" ... Garmin also have conveniently left the VR compatible models for India. ...
Tom Tom 120 and 125 Via series have the VR feature ...
Cant have the best features in 1 single unit with competitive pricing can we?? ...
Sure we can - so when are you starting your company to make one?

Ordinary humans are quite satisfied 'touch' keying in or selecting the destination before starting the journey, and just listening to the instructions given by the Nav unit after that. No other interaction is required with the Nav unit.

Are you perhaps confusing voice recognition needs with the ICE / infotainment head unit? It may be convenient to speak out Skip or Pause or Stop or such commands to a head unit playing music, or select another radio station. Unfortunately Nav units don't need to be told anything. They figure out you have taken a wrong turn and gently try to guide you back - even if you are trying to fool around with it. Maybe when cars that turn into aircraft at the press of a button are in vogue, one may need to tell the Nav unit "Please switch to flight path mode".
Old 16th April 2013, 14:51   #180

Quote:
Sure we can - so when are you starting your company to make one?

Ordinary humans are quite satisfied 'touch' keying in or selecting the destination before starting the journey, and just listening to the instructions given by the Nav unit after that. No other interaction is required with the Nav unit.

Are you perhaps confusing voice recognition needs with the ICE / infotainment head unit? It may be convenient to speak out Skip or Pause or Stop or such commands to a head unit playing music, or select another radio station. Unfortunately Nav units don't need to be told anything. They figure out you have taken a wrong turn and gently try to guide you back - even if you are trying to fool around with it. Maybe when cars that turn into aircraft at the press of a button are in vogue, one may need to tell the Nav unit "Please switch to flight path mode".
Thats the whole point innit? I dont have to 'start' a new company. The markets to our right ie Asia Pacific and markets to our left ie Gulf and Middle East and above us, Europe already have these products from the same manufacturers.

All I wanted to point out was that the life of a "ordinary man" would be much easier with voice commands. One can control the entire device without having to be distracted while driving trying to "touch type".

The ease with which one can zero in to street address/house number level just by using voice commands is a "must have" feature.

Sorry to break the bubble for you (not intending to be rude or anything) Nav Units can exactly be told what you want with the menu item commands they are programmed with. The following video should give you an idea as to what I am talking about.

Vader

Darth_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote